Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 644645 times)

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #6675 on: November 03, 2021, 02:46:40 AM »
90% of the vote in and new jerseys race is within. 1000 votes

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #6677 on: November 03, 2021, 07:54:35 AM »
The last person to serve two terms as governor of Virginia was Mills Edwin Godwin.
1966-1970 as a Democrat; 1974-1978 as a Republican.

NJ votes still trickling in.....and while currently losing it looks like Murphy will eventually squeeze by.

This will be an interesting one. New Jersey has not had a two term Democrat as governor since Brenden Thomas Byrne.

And in a fun synchronicity with the Virginia election, the benchmark year for this is 1977.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

ons

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #6678 on: November 03, 2021, 08:23:49 AM »
Mainstream dems: fail to pass any significant legislation with the presidency, a tie-breaker in the Senate, a majority in Congress, and a progressive wing willing to compromise on virtually every major policy issue.

Mainstream dems upon losing subsequent elections: How could progressives do this to us?

Looking forward to R's taking both branches of congress in 2022

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #6679 on: November 03, 2021, 09:09:04 AM »
Mainstream dems: fail to pass any significant legislation with the presidency, a tie-breaker in the Senate, a majority in Congress, and a progressive wing willing to compromise on virtually every major policy issue.

Mainstream dems upon losing subsequent elections: How could progressives do this to us?

Mainstream Dems are progressives

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #6680 on: November 03, 2021, 09:19:10 AM »

Perhaps those mainstream Dems, or whatever is left of them aren't wrong to blame those seeking to hold legislation hostage because they want their entire wish list while we're in the middle of an inflation crunch the likes of which we haven't seen in about 13 or so years while arguing that its already paid for.

Don't fret. If 2016-2018 taught me anything it's that Republicans with a majority house, senate, occupation of the executive branch and a receptive SCOTUS could still freak up a cup of coffee. They're like the old Joker line about a dog chasing a car, once they got it they don't know what to do with it. You'll see a lot of fraudulent actors exposed in terms of running on doing this or that, being in the position of doing so and then going "lol nah I'm not going to do that."

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #6681 on: November 03, 2021, 09:25:05 AM »
Murphy has (for the moment) taken the lead over Ciattarelli. It's only 1700 votes but based on the counties still reporting, it looks like his lead should increase.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #6682 on: November 03, 2021, 09:57:31 AM »
Wrong

If this was true the currently debated legislation would have already been passed and not hollowed out.

ons

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #6683 on: November 03, 2021, 09:57:39 AM »
Don't fret. If 2016-2018 taught me anything it's that Republicans with a majority house, senate, occupation of the executive branch and a receptive SCOTUS could still freak up a cup of coffee. They're like the old Joker line about a dog chasing a car, once they got it they don't know what to do with it. You'll see a lot of fraudulent actors exposed in terms of running on doing this or that, being in the position of doing so and then going "lol nah I'm not going to do that."

Largely true of both parties at the national level tbh, terrified into large-scale indecision and just attempting to capitalize on 'at least we're not the other party'

I mean, it's largely a semantic argument, and I doubt we'd agree on a definition of what progressivism means, but I'd refer to this classic on where I position myself in regard to institutional Dems who try to claim progressivism but don't actually play those values out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nFvhhCulaw

I do think smart mainstream Dems have the potential to enact progressive policies if they calculate that doing so allows them to maintain power/influence/popularity, which is to my mind the reason I could support Buttigieg-type candidates, but it's hard to see a path for that becoming a reality.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #6684 on: November 03, 2021, 09:57:41 AM »

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #6685 on: November 03, 2021, 10:00:53 AM »

Don't fret. If 2016-2018 taught me anything it's that Republicans with a majority house, senate, occupation of the executive branch and a receptive SCOTUS could still freak up a cup of coffee.

Obligatory "not a glitch, it's a feature"

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #6686 on: November 03, 2021, 10:55:19 AM »
Wrong

If this was true the currently debated legislation would have already been passed and not hollowed out.

Or the reason that hasn't passed is because the two legit independents in the party won't go along with it nor will any Republicans because it's too far left

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #6687 on: November 03, 2021, 11:34:11 AM »
Or the reason that hasn't passed is because the two legit independents in the party won't go along with it nor will any Republicans because it's too far left
It's cute that you actually believe Rs are objecting on merit and not purely to obstruct for 4 years.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #6688 on: November 03, 2021, 11:35:28 AM »
About 700 votes keeping NJ from learning antifa race theory right now

https://twitter.com/SteveKornacki/status/1455933089629233154?t=ikuI8fvAKdZp0rejE4ASxg&s=19

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #6689 on: November 03, 2021, 11:38:00 AM »
It's cute that you actually believe Rs are objecting on merit and not purely to obstruct for 4 years.

It's cute you think Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer led herd aren't progressives

And I'm sure it's obstructionism

But I'm also sure if it was a reasonable but left of center vote that they'd get some republican votes.

Instead it's too far left for their own party that they can't even agree on it
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 11:40:28 AM by dcm1602 »

Tags: