Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 644616 times)

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #6585 on: October 08, 2021, 11:35:10 AM »

You want things to be one way.

But it's the other way.

No, in all seriousness that doesn't make anyone a fascist.

But thinking that certain conduct is acceptable to effectuate your sociopolitical goals can absolutely make one an authoritarian depending on the conduct.

Imagine having a sense of power dynamics this backwards. Who wields the authority in this situation?

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #6586 on: October 08, 2021, 11:45:05 AM »

Imagine having a sense of power dynamics this backwards. Who wields the authority in this situation?

If Sinema ate at Shilla, she'd have all the power in this situation.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #6587 on: October 08, 2021, 11:47:33 AM »

Without even getting into the absolute PR campaign being waged against Manchin and Sinema, the constant barrage from the same media that heralded Sinema's predecessor specifically as a "courageous maverick" for being willing to value "country over party" (funny how that's out the window), and the fact that they're actually bucking authority when you consider the true power brokers in their own party want them to heel, because people achieve public service that gives their opponents carte blanche?

You and I both know if anyone with a certain red hat decided to accost some poopchute like AOC or Cori Bush, and follow them into the bathroom in a similar manner there'd be hell to pay. AOC acts like her experience on 1/6 is what Sinema actually went through.

Re: power dynamics, we do have an aristocracy in this country of political elites, and further ceding power to absolute uber-statists with legislation such as the "build back better" bill is exactly how we continue to destroy a middle class that's already overtaxed to begin with.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #6588 on: October 08, 2021, 11:51:49 AM »
Without even getting into the absolute PR campaign being waged against Manchin and Sinema, the constant barrage from the same media that heralded Sinema's predecessor specifically as a "courageous maverick" for being willing to value "country over party" (funny how that's out the window), and the fact that they're actually bucking authority when you consider the true power brokers in their own party want them to heel, because people achieve public service that gives their opponents carte blanche?

You and I both know if anyone with a certain red hat decided to accost some poopchute like AOC or Cori Bush, and follow them into the bathroom in a similar manner there'd be hell to pay. AOC acts like her experience on 1/6 is what Sinema actually went through.

Re: power dynamics, we do have an aristocracy in this country of political elites, and further ceding power to absolute uber-statists with legislation such as the "build back better" bill is exactly how we continue to destroy a middle class that's already overtaxed to begin with.
So you agree, raise taxes on the power brokers. We're getting somewhere.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #6589 on: October 08, 2021, 12:00:54 PM »
So you agree, raise taxes on the power brokers. We're getting somewhere.

Why is it every single time this is attempted, the "power brokers" turn out to be anyone making over 35k a year?

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #6590 on: October 08, 2021, 12:47:40 PM »
Why is it every single time this is attempted, the "power brokers" turn out to be anyone making over 35k a year?
The guy has said he won't raise taxes on any singles making under $400k or joint making under $450k about milllion times. It would be a death sentence for him if he all of a sudden raised taxes on poor or middle class people.  If he changed it down to $300k that's one thing but no one's coming close to raising taxes on people making $35k.  But I'm sure someone will make it a huge gotcha moment if some state raises a gas tax by 0.01 cents.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #6591 on: October 08, 2021, 12:51:58 PM »
The guy has said he won't raise taxes on any singles making under $400k or joint making under $450k about milllion times. It would be a death sentence for him if he all of a sudden raised taxes on poor or middle class people.  If he changed it down to $300k that's one thing but no one's coming close to raising taxes on people making $35k.  But I'm sure someone will make it a huge gotcha moment if some state raises a gas tax by 0.01 cents.

Oh, Joe Biden said it so it must be true!  ;D ;D ;D

The fact is, this particular piece of legislation is IMPOSSIBLE to effectuate without an across the board tax hike.

It wouldn't be a "death sentence" considering the way corporate media has acted as his freaking Praetorian Guard. Jonathan Chait out here literally writing that any opposition to Biden is authoritarianism.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #6592 on: October 08, 2021, 01:08:32 PM »
Oh, Joe Biden said it so it must be true!  ;D ;D ;D

The fact is, this particular piece of legislation is IMPOSSIBLE to effectuate without an across the board tax hike.

It wouldn't be a "death sentence" considering the way corporate media has acted as his freaking Praetorian Guard. Jonathan Chait out here literally writing that any opposition to Biden is authoritarianism.
It doesn't matter what anyone says, you assume if Trump didn't approve it, it's cancer. No democrat should ever do anything good. There's no point in us going around this circle again.  But here I am.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #6593 on: October 08, 2021, 01:09:32 PM »
If Sinema ate at Shilla, she'd have all the power in this situation.

This is the kind of politics I want to watch

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #6594 on: October 08, 2021, 01:15:10 PM »
It doesn't matter what anyone says, you assume if Trump didn't approve it, it's cancer. No democrat should ever do anything good. There's no point in us going around this circle again.  But here I am.

If anything, your assertion above that just because Biden said his plan won't tax anyone over 400k essentially means we should take him at his word is way more indicative of blindly following someone than I ever treated Trump. Want me to go back to when Fen and I were literally arguing about Trump striking Syria? I think you'd be surprised at the positions taken.

It doesn't matter what anyone says when juxtaposed with reality.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #6595 on: October 08, 2021, 01:16:26 PM »

The assumption is being that people are too stupid to think.

I 100% agree Joe Biden would not raise the income tax on people making less than 400k a year.

In his mind, and technically, this makes him keeping to his promise.

Does this mean he wouldn't raise taxes on people making less than 400k a year? Absolutely freaking not

Whether it has to do with investments, property taxes, corporations, or literally anything even remotely related to going green. These all have significant bottom line impacts on many people making less than exorbitant amounts of money.

Not to mention is there some freaking delusion from the left about corporations? If you ask Badger any business should be burned to the ground because they're rich and evil. If you raise taxes on corporations you don't think they're going to somehow pass that cost on to the consumer?

It's possible that corporations eat some of that cost/pain, but a fair if not large amount of that will come from the consumer as well

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #6596 on: October 08, 2021, 01:21:25 PM »
On a side note, if the US could raise taxes on the rich, in a vacuum, I would definitely support that.

The problem is right now the tax code is freaking retarded.

Close loopholes (ie corporate options), make a simplified dumbed down tax bracket for 401ks and retirement accounts, there's so much to do where you could get bipartisan support on legitimately raising taxes in a transparent way.

Instead everyone wants to jerk you around, and use it to hide what they're actually doing x which is tugging on their constituents dick under the table

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #6597 on: October 08, 2021, 01:22:10 PM »
If you raise taxes on corporations you don't think they're going to somehow pass that cost on to the consumer?

"There are some — and I’m not sure if this is the case in this report — who argue that, in the past, companies have passed on these costs to consumers," Psaki said in the briefing. "I’m not sure if that’s the argument being made in this report. We feel that that’s unfair and absurd, and the American people would not stand for that."
- Jen Psaki

This is the level of economic understanding we're dealing with here.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #6598 on: October 08, 2021, 01:23:23 PM »
On a side note, if the US could raise taxes on the rich, in a vacuum, I would definitely support that.

The problem is right now the tax code is freaking retarded.

Close loopholes (ie corporate options), make a simplified dumbed down tax bracket for 401ks and retirement accounts, there's so much to do where you could get bipartisan support on legitimately raising taxes in a transparent way.

Instead everyone wants to jerk you around, and use it to hide what they're actually doing x which is tugging on their constituents dick under the table
You can't get bipartisan support on anything.  Except maybe that Mark Zuckerberg is creepy.

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022
« Reply #6599 on: October 08, 2021, 02:46:55 PM »
- Jen Psaki

This is the level of economic understanding we're dealing with here.

- Jen Psaki, bushmaster:  "read my lips (if you can): no new taxes"

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/45/Fremont_Solstice_Cyclists_2013_334.jpg/399px-Fremont_Solstice_Cyclists_2013_334.jpg

Tags: