Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 644561 times)

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #6347 on: August 17, 2021, 03:33:44 PM »
A+ pandering

https://twitter.com/SenTomCotton/status/1426162752469483531?s=19

https://twitter.com/deonteleologist/status/1427204329279156224?s=19

Stupid take from Pompeo, but complete ad hominem attacks on Rufo with no basis in fact, as per usual. How tiresome. May as well be Joy Reid.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #6348 on: August 18, 2021, 12:28:22 PM »
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #6349 on: August 18, 2021, 12:58:53 PM »

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #6350 on: August 18, 2021, 12:59:28 PM »
I'm hoping to have a zero day work week as soon as possible.

You and me both.

How many private businesses already try to demand weekends out of their employees? Where is this gonna go?

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #6352 on: August 18, 2021, 02:38:52 PM »
Magically saying the work week is 32 hours isn't going to make it happen.

This is something that would have to get phased in over like 10 years, and IMO is probably harder to make happen than Universal Healthcare.

Not to mention the optics of the biggest shortage of workers and suddenly you want to cut the supply or workers by presumably close to 20%

But to me this is pure political pandering on something that they know is 100% completely not feasible. And they just wanna fire up and excite all the kiddies who don't want to go to work
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 02:41:34 PM by dcm1602 »

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #6353 on: August 18, 2021, 04:19:38 PM »
Magically saying the work week is 32 hours isn't going to make it happen.

This is something that would have to get phased in over like 10 years, and IMO is probably harder to make happen than Universal Healthcare.

Not to mention the optics of the biggest shortage of workers and suddenly you want to cut the supply or workers by presumably close to 20%

But to me this is pure political pandering on something that they know is 100% completely not feasible. And they just wanna fire up and excite all the kiddies who don't want to go to work
Keep it 40 hrs just four 10 hr days instead of five 8 hr days.  I've been doing it for 18 years.  I love having Mondays off.  Don't mind longer days.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #6354 on: August 18, 2021, 04:54:35 PM »
Keep it 40 hrs just four 10 hr days instead of five 8 hr days.  I've been doing it for 18 years.  I love having Mondays off.  Don't mind longer days.

Again, what's going to stop, say a law firm from demanding five days a week.

As it stands, I'm working 50 hours a week (M-F 10/hrs a pop) and that's considered light.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #6355 on: August 18, 2021, 05:07:25 PM »
Again, what's going to stop, say a law firm from demanding five days a week.

As it stands, I'm working 50 hours a week (M-F 10/hrs a pop) and that's considered light.
Fair point. 

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #6356 on: August 18, 2021, 08:27:39 PM »

I mean sure I suppose this is feasible

But do we really need the government to change the law to change the workweek to 4 10 hour shifts?

Not to mention I don't know if you've looked around the country.

But the amount of 400 pound fuckers out there, and people working older and older because they don't save for retirement. How many Americans are out there that would severely struggle to work 10 hour days from a physical perspective alone? 2 hours doesn't seem like much but that's a 25% increase

And of course childcare is another huge issue that would come along with this

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #6357 on: August 18, 2021, 08:40:10 PM »
This is actually one thing I don't feel should, or even can be, legislated.

Americans work too much, but simply decreasing the "standard" number of hours per week leaves more questions than it answers. How do you force employers to keep everyone at the same weekly income putting in fewer hours? What about non-salaried workers who rely on OT to get by?

I'm fully in favor of flexible schedules for business/positions where it's feasible. I can do the vast majority of my job at any time of day or night and while remote, I work all kinds of hours. But this is something that is up to the individual business.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #6358 on: August 18, 2021, 09:04:25 PM »
This is actually one thing I don't feel should, or even can be, legislated.

Americans work too much, but simply decreasing the "standard" number of hours per week leaves more questions than it answers. How do you force employers to keep everyone at the same weekly income putting in fewer hours? What about non-salaried workers who rely on OT to get by?

I'm fully in favor of flexible schedules for business/positions where it's feasible. I can do the vast majority of my job at any time of day or night and while remote, I work all kinds of hours. But this is something that is up to the individual business.

if anything they could slowly inch up the threshold of what constitutes overtime.

I mean right now the law states anything over 40 hours a week for not exempt employees is overtime.

You want to change how many hours a week the American works move the goalposts. Make it 36 hours a week then move it forward as needed.

Of course the obvious problem with this is employers will just make up this money elsewhere. And again still have the worker shortage so it's still not super feasible.

I still think the best way for the government to decrease the the work week in an indirect way, is simply universal Healthcare.

If people don't have to work 40 hours a week to get benefit I'd imagine you'd see a tremendous increase in part time and per diem employees

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #6359 on: August 19, 2021, 05:53:52 PM »

Tags: