Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 646125 times)

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #6165 on: July 08, 2021, 08:06:41 AM »
Lmao.
I know the RW default reaction to language like that is to knee-jerk away from it but how it whiteness not a social construct? Or are you attempting to pretend it's purely a descriptor of fair skin and nothing else at all?

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #6166 on: July 08, 2021, 08:22:39 AM »
I know the RW default reaction to language like that is to knee-jerk away from it but how it whiteness not a social construct? Or are you attempting to pretend it's purely a descriptor of fair skin and nothing else at all?

I'm not pretending anything. It's a descriptor of skin color and further an immutable characteristic. That's it. We shouldn't demonize people based on same or create these idiotic monoliths in which somehow whiteness is bad and basic social wants like a "right to comfort" or "individualism" is considered a hallmark of any sort of supremacy, as if Black people don't value either of those things.

Worse, this excrement is being foisted on children. By the time people are 18, if they want to expose themselves to bullshit social pseudoscience, that's on them and their right.

I can only imagine how it would go if I said Blackness is a social construct wrapped in a culture that accepts if not promotes a fatherless rate at 70%. No, blackness is a presence of melanin. That's it. Go ask any Haitian if they share the same cultural mores as someone from Nigeria, see what they tell you.

The idea that this ubiquitous oppressive structure comes solely from WyPiPo is divisive, social poison that seeks to bind people of all sorts of different nationalities in the same basket.

The Jewish experience is not the same as the Slavic is not the same as the Irish.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #6167 on: July 08, 2021, 11:02:23 PM »
Imagine holding so hard onto a color descriptor of your melanin content as an identity when it held absolutely zero significance as a social construct.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #6168 on: July 09, 2021, 07:41:57 AM »
Imagine holding so hard onto a color descriptor of your melanin content as an identity when it held absolutely zero significance as a social construct.

strawman harder.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #6169 on: July 10, 2021, 09:39:49 PM »
Remember when people thought this guy was some sort of voice of reason?

https://twitter.com/SheriffClarke/status/1412204512266395648?s=19

Moderates are a fantasy

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #6170 on: July 10, 2021, 09:42:28 PM »

Moderates are a fantasy

I don’t recall thinking that at all. Who thought that?
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #6171 on: July 10, 2021, 10:10:49 PM »
I don’t recall thinking that at all. Who thought that?
I'm not gonna name names but they know who they are.

He got on TV a few years back during Ferguson unrest or something and dropped a few platitudes and some people were like "wow he's a cop AND he's black, both sides!"

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #6172 on: July 12, 2021, 10:18:33 AM »

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #6173 on: July 12, 2021, 10:24:42 AM »
WSJ Opinion strikes again

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ranked-choice-voting-is-bad-for-everyone-11625674248?mod=e2fb

I only read the first bit because the rest is paywalled, but this is stupid:

In a free country voters should desire a common good superior to the wishes of private individuals to prevail.

Not only is it an impossible and unreasonable ask, it's also missing the point that the common good and the wishes of private individuals can and should at the very least overlap. You want to pay less tax? Cool, we all do. We do that by making sure that people are educated and healthy and housed and fed, so that they can be productive members of society, so that they generate more than they cost, thus reducing the collective tax requirement. In a right thinking society, the common good and the wishes of private individuals are united. If that isn't the case then the problem isn't the voting system.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #6174 on: July 12, 2021, 10:27:15 AM »

Moderates are a fantasy

Interesting that's what was taken out of his tweet and not the fact that idk, people are desecrating religious idols with seeming impunity.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #6175 on: July 12, 2021, 10:34:37 AM »
Interesting that's what was taken out of his tweet and not the fact that idk, people are desecrating religious idols with seeming impunity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLeAot4Zrxo
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #6176 on: July 12, 2021, 10:55:33 AM »
Someone lightly defaced our rival high school's statue of St Francis when we beat them in basketball, it was pretty funny.

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022
« Reply #6177 on: July 12, 2021, 04:22:01 PM »
I'm not pretending anything.

It's a descriptor of skin color and further an immutable characteristic.

That's it.

We shouldn't demonize people based on same or create these idiotic monoliths in which somehow whiteness is bad and basic social wants like a "right to comfort" or "individualism" is considered a hallmark of any sort of supremacy, as if Black people don't value either of those things.

Worse, this excrement is being foisted on children. By the time people are 18, if they want to expose themselves to bullshit social pseudoscience, that's on them and their right.

I can only imagine how it would go if I said Blackness is a social construct wrapped in a culture that accepts if not promotes a fatherless rate at 70%. No, blackness is a presence of melanin. That's it. Go ask any Haitian if they share the same cultural mores as someone from Nigeria, see what they tell you.

The idea that this ubiquitous oppressive structure comes solely from WyPiPo is divisive, social poison that seeks to bind people of all sorts of different nationalities in the same basket.

The Jewish experience is not the same as the Slavic is not the same as the Irish.

insanity

• Shaun Ellis

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau

Tags: