Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 644806 times)

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #6150 on: June 25, 2021, 05:07:43 PM »
America couldn't solve the border crisis in the last 100 years

But it's okay now we're going to solve the root cause of every person in the world wanting to leave their country and come here

In the next 3 years...

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #6151 on: June 28, 2021, 04:28:14 PM »
Eesh, this seems like a pretty bad swing and a miss by the Feds - I don't know which administration this case started under and I don't think it really matters because I would expect that it's a fairly bipartisan issue in the truest sense of the word.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/28/judge-dismisses-ftc-antitrust-complaint-against-facebook.html

I won't pretend to make any kind of half baked legal argument here but I've made my views known before on the ludicrous amount of power that FANANG hold; the US Government has been reasonably good at breaking up over reaching monopolies in the past (Microsoft and the Bells being prime examples), but this has been allowed to swell to ridiculous proportions.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #6152 on: June 28, 2021, 05:06:00 PM »
I certainly don't know legal distinctions and what not

But at least in the United States the impression I've gotten is that Facebook is posed to decline.

I think they're in the "MySpace" realm of things. The undisputed current king, but also it's replacements out there are ready to take over.

Talk to a person under 30 and ask them what their thoughts are on Facebook. Most of them use it little to none at all

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #6153 on: June 28, 2021, 05:18:52 PM »
I certainly don't know legal distinctions and what not

But at least in the United States the impression I've gotten is that Facebook is posed to decline.

I think they're in the "MySpace" realm of things. The undisputed current king, but also it's replacements out there are ready to take over.

Talk to a person under 30 and ask them what their thoughts are on Facebook. Most of them use it little to none at all

Unlike MySpace, Facebook has been ever evolving on multiple fronts - they're smart enough to know that the kids will always move to the next hot thing, so instead of chasing the zeitgeist they simply acquire it. Instagram and Whatsapp are the big ones, but they've bought dozens of other smaller apps. They're not just buying the apps and communities, they're buying the IP and the patents so that even if they are losing the battle for subscribers they're making licensing revenues on the back end.

They're also evolving the core app. No, 20 year olds aren't posting pictures of their lunch on Facebook any more, but they're the dominant force for community groups and increasingly for classified sales - FB Marketplace is becoming the global de facto. Loot, Kijiji, even Craigslist are losing share to it.

Facebook is a monster and will keep becoming bigger if it is left unchecked.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #6154 on: June 30, 2021, 09:25:24 PM »
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/06/30/kamala-harris-office-dissent-497290

Apparently Harris's team is a cluster freak and all her staff is treated like excrement.

However this isn't the first time this happened. Apparently at the start of her presidential campaign there was a mass firing and the same thing happened. And yet again there were reports of it when her presidential campaign ended

This doesn't have a whole lot of significance as VP, but could be a very key thing in future presidential candidates when she's on top of the ticket.

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022
« Reply #6155 on: July 01, 2021, 09:13:11 AM »
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/06/30/kamala-harris-office-dissent-497290
Heard the same palace intrigue grousing about Klobuchar (and of course trump).   

"Down in the west Texas town of El Paso
  I fell in love with a Mexican girl..."

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #6156 on: July 01, 2021, 09:48:33 AM »
Supreme Court thinks voter suppression is cool.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #6157 on: July 01, 2021, 10:12:16 AM »
Supreme Court thinks voter suppression is cool.

Mandating that people either drop off their own vote or do it through a family member or caregiver is now "voter suppression."

Good thing it's actually not because while the Court hasn't been the evil craven right wing crackpots as advertised when Gorsuch, ACB and Kavanaugh were placed on the bench, (see the latest ACA ruling), they mostly maintained a modicum of common sense.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #6158 on: July 01, 2021, 10:38:46 AM »
The Supreme Court interprets the law that exists (however good or bad that is), they don't decide what's right or wrong.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #6159 on: July 01, 2021, 10:44:50 AM »
The Supreme Court interprets the law that exists (however good or bad that is), they don't decide what's right or wrong.

In theory. Obergefell is a classic example of right outcome, spotty analysis.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #6160 on: July 07, 2021, 09:05:08 AM »
Yeah it would be terrible if we taught history accurately.

https://twitter.com/mikepompeo/status/1412109433975488513?s=19

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #6161 on: July 07, 2021, 10:38:09 AM »

History according to Howard Zinn maybe.

And I can't help but ask, what part of our founding involves teaching children (and this is a direct quote) that "whiteness is a bad deal."

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #6162 on: July 07, 2021, 11:16:57 AM »
History according to Howard Zinn maybe.

And I can't help but ask, what part of our founding involves teaching children (and this is a direct quote) that "whiteness is a bad deal."
The worst deal, perhaps, in the history of trade deals

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #6163 on: July 07, 2021, 08:09:13 PM »

Inadvertently making one of the best arguments in favor of teaching that whiteness is a social construct designed to oppress others.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #6164 on: July 08, 2021, 07:44:54 AM »
whiteness is a social construct designed to oppress others.

Lmao.

Tags: