Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 645365 times)

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #6075 on: June 08, 2021, 07:33:58 PM »
Also only 7.8% of Americans work more than 1 job according to the US department of commerce via data from the the United States Census

So all the bullshit people are spewing from politicians about how many Americans are working more than one job to make ends meet is absolute freaking garbage
People working 2 jobs were too busy to answer the census (or vote in the primary)

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #6076 on: June 08, 2021, 11:38:26 PM »
https://twitter.com/tomselliott/status/1402218237048279041

This clip makes me proud to be on Long Island

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #6077 on: June 09, 2021, 07:58:23 AM »
https://twitter.com/tomselliott/status/1402218237048279041

This clip makes me proud to be on Long Island
Not to defend Mara Gay but it was taken wildly out of context for obvious reasons.

There's a legitimate retort to what she actually said, which is that nobody is stopping non-Trump supporters from flying a US flag.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #6078 on: June 09, 2021, 08:30:06 AM »
Not to defend Mara Gay but it was taken wildly out of context for obvious reasons.

There's a legitimate retort to what she actually said, which is that nobody is stopping non-Trump supporters from flying a US flag.

Without getting into the absurdity of complaining about "expletives towards Joe Biden" as if some variation of "freak Trump" wasn't a popular shirt/bumper sticker, she openly talks about marginalizing half the country while trying to establish some sort of victimhood as if she didn't spend the weekend "on Long Island" in the uber-exclusive Hampton area, or isn't continually afforded unwarranted privilege thanks to her position.

It wasn't taken out of context. She made a dumb attempt at a dumb point because that's usually what happened when people continually look to stoke racial flames and tension.

I find absolutely no validity to the incredibly divisive motives she assigned towards people when they fly the flag, and think it's absurd it went unchallenged. It's a constant thinking of the worst of people.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 08:36:30 AM by mj2sexay »

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #6079 on: June 09, 2021, 09:10:33 AM »
Without getting into the absurdity of complaining about "expletives towards Joe Biden" as if some variation of "freak Trump" wasn't a popular shirt/bumper sticker, she openly talks about marginalizing half the country while trying to establish some sort of victimhood as if she didn't spend the weekend "on Long Island" in the uber-exclusive Hampton area, or isn't continually afforded unwarranted privilege thanks to her position.

It wasn't taken out of context. She made a dumb attempt at a dumb point because that's usually what happened when people continually look to stoke racial flames and tension.

I find absolutely no validity to the incredibly divisive motives she assigned towards people when they fly the flag, and think it's absurd it went unchallenged. It's a constant thinking of the worst of people.
I don't care about the other stuff, but she's not wrong to observe Trump supporters presenting themselves as "real" Americans and othering everyone else. It's a common theme among Republicans at large, it just happens to currently be channeled through Trump. Flying the US flag and a Trump flag together does imply that message. And by pretending she's offended by the mere sight of the flag just supports that observation.

Now is it a meaningful complaint for her to make? Meh, it seems pretty shallow and surface level and not really my thing. It's just not technically wrong, I just don't think it's useful for endearing anyone to her point of view and has only provided fodder to make it worse.

And yes, liberals and leftists engage in othering too. Just the who and why varies.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 09:12:52 AM by Badger »

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022
« Reply #6080 on: June 09, 2021, 10:31:55 AM »
I get her whole BillyBobTrump 'muh flag' thing even if I don't exactly equate L.I. as a redneck bastion.  At the same time, beyond the Old Glory/Trump banner-in-tandem look, freak her for arbitrarily extending her "I see redneck monsters everywhere!!" paranoia to include folks sporting 'the flag' by itself in general let alone around Memorial Day in particular.  Don't judge a flag by its cover.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 10:36:15 AM by delavan »

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #6081 on: June 09, 2021, 02:23:05 PM »
I don't care about the other stuff, but she's not wrong to observe Trump supporters presenting themselves as "real" Americans and othering everyone else. It's a common theme among Republicans at large, it just happens to currently be channeled through Trump. Flying the US flag and a Trump flag together does imply that message. And by pretending she's offended by the mere sight of the flag just supports that observation.

Not that I'm the grand arbiter of fairness, but this is absolutely a fair point, and one worthy of discussion/commentary/debate if you're ostensibly a journalist.

I get her whole BillyBobTrump 'muh flag' thing even if I don't exactly equate L.I. as a redneck bastion.  At the same time, beyond the Old Glory/Trump banner-in-tandem look, freak her for arbitrarily extending her "I see redneck monsters everywhere!!" paranoia to include folks sporting 'the flag' by itself in general let alone around Memorial Day in particular.  Don't judge a flag by its cover.

And this instead is how her commentary came off.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #6082 on: June 09, 2021, 02:50:20 PM »

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #6083 on: June 09, 2021, 04:54:51 PM »
Someone (not you, mj) tell me if this is good news:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/08/nyregion/nj-primary-election-results.html
A cross-dressing limey poofter

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #6084 on: June 09, 2021, 05:02:12 PM »
Someone (not you, mj) tell me if this is good news:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/08/nyregion/nj-primary-election-results.html

LOL, love that. Sorry my friend, can't help myself.

On a personal level I've met Jack a number of times. Good guy. Not my choice by any stretch given his voting record in the assembly, but I understand the logic in deep blue NJ of running the very definition of a moderate/centrist candidate. 

The idea that this was some rebuke of Trump is hilarious though when you consider the following;

Had Rizzo and Singh (and to clarify, Singh is a TOTAL SCUMBAG) not split the vote along the lines of running on bringing a more pro-Trump posture into the race, one of them might have won.

I'm glad the NYT (grosssss) in their infinite wisdom has decided to set Jack apart from Trump considering the Murphy campaign is already trying to say Jack is nothing more than a Trump sycophant.

Phil Murphy is a demonstrative disaster who I have no doubt will skate to re-election. The NJGOP could freak up a cup of coffee.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #6085 on: June 10, 2021, 01:03:14 PM »
https://www.businessinsider.com/global-confidence-in-biden-is-58-points-higher-than-trump-in-12-countries-2021-6

It seems clear that this is because the rest of the world is delighted about being able to go back to taking advantage of and picking on the USA now that its global protector is no longer around to prevent them.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #6086 on: June 10, 2021, 04:12:28 PM »

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #6088 on: June 10, 2021, 04:50:51 PM »
https://www.businessinsider.com/global-confidence-in-biden-is-58-points-higher-than-trump-in-12-countries-2021-6

It seems clear that this is because the rest of the world is delighted about being able to go back to taking advantage of and picking on the USA now that its global protector is no longer around to prevent them.

France Germany and Canada highlight the list

Say no more

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #6089 on: June 11, 2021, 03:15:37 PM »

Tags: