Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 648834 times)

ons

• Chad Pennington
Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #5580 on: February 05, 2021, 05:11:13 PM »
Couldn't help myself.

Anyway, as insane as Jewish space lasers are, I guess I don't find it as offensive as describing the systematic extermination of six million jews as calming

I mean, this is from an opinion piece published in JPost:
"But in this instance Tlaib didn’t say what they say she said. Although she is no Zionist, she acknowledged Jewish suffering and offered up a slice of understanding as to why Jews needed a homeland. It’s hardly a path to reconciliation, but it isn’t anti-Semitism either."

https://www.jpost.com/american-politics/what-did-rashida-tlaib-really-say-about-the-holocaust-589711

Her actual quote:
"Absolutely. Let me tell you — I mean, for me, I think two weeks ago we celebrated, or took a moment I think in our country to remember, the Holocaust. And there’s a kind of a calming feeling, I always tell folks, when I think of the Holocaust and the tragedy of the Holocaust in the fact that it was my ancestors — Palestinians — who lost their land and some lost their lives, their livelihood, their human dignity, their existence in many ways had been wiped out, and some people’s passports — I mean, just all of it was in the name of trying to create a safe haven for Jews, post-the Holocaust, post-the tragedy and the horrific persecution of Jews across the world at that time. And I love the fact that it was my ancestors that provided that, right?, in many ways. But they did it in a way that took their human dignity away, right, and it was forced on them."

Definitely feels like you're deliberately misunderstanding her to try and prove your brand of partisan rhetoric isn't as bad.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #5581 on: February 05, 2021, 06:15:56 PM »
"But in this instance Tlaib didn’t say what they say she said. Although she is no Zionist, she acknowledged Jewish suffering and offered up a slice of understanding as to why Jews needed a homeland. It’s hardly a path to reconciliation, but it isn’t anti-Semitism either."

https://www.jpost.com/american-politics/what-did-rashida-tlaib-really-say-about-the-holocaust-589711

Her actual quote:
"Absolutely. Let me tell you — I mean, for me, I think two weeks ago we celebrated, or took a moment I think in our country to remember, the Holocaust. And there’s a kind of a calming feeling, I always tell folks, when I think of the Holocaust and the tragedy of the Holocaust in the fact that it was my ancestors — Palestinians — who lost their land and some lost their lives, their livelihood, their human dignity, their existence in many ways had been wiped out, and some people’s passports — I mean, just all of it was in the name of trying to create a safe haven for Jews, post-the Holocaust, post-the tragedy and the horrific persecution of Jews across the world at that time. And I love the fact that it was my ancestors that provided that, right?, in many ways. But they did it in a way that took their human dignity away, right, and it was forced on them."

Definitely feels like you're deliberately misunderstanding her to try and prove your brand of partisan rhetoric isn't as bad.

Definitely feels like you're affording someone a level of nuance you otherwise wouldn't given the initial next to their name, but that's pretty much what you do.

That's without getting into how freaking unbelievably weird and inappropriate the comment still is, or Omar's dual loyalty or all about the benjamins bullshit.

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #5582 on: February 05, 2021, 06:31:36 PM »

Her actual quote:

There were good people on both sides of the Holocaust.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #5583 on: February 05, 2021, 06:56:16 PM »
-Steve King

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #5584 on: February 05, 2021, 07:16:49 PM »
Bad Nevada. Bad!

https://apnews.com/article/legislature-legislation-local-governments-nevada-economy-2fa79128a7bf41073c1e9102e8a0e5f0

Hopefully state legislature kills it and we get some reactions from idiots crying about how bibbity-thousand jerbs were stolen from them a la Amazon NYC.

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #5585 on: February 05, 2021, 08:25:57 PM »
Bad Nevada. Bad!

https://apnews.com/article/legislature-legislation-local-governments-nevada-economy-2fa79128a7bf41073c1e9102e8a0e5f0

Hopefully state legislature kills it and we get some reactions from idiots crying about how bibbity-thousand jerbs were stolen from them a la Amazon NYC.

Is there precedent for this?  The first thing that comes to mind is "Coal Mine Towns" but I didn't think the town was literally run by the company. 

ons

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #5586 on: February 05, 2021, 09:03:01 PM »
Definitely feels like you're affording someone a level of nuance you otherwise wouldn't given the initial next to their name, but that's pretty much what you do. 

There are other very strong reasons I am interested in whether things are actually anti-semitic, and you assuming otherwise is kind of fucked up.

Cool.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #5587 on: February 06, 2021, 09:08:34 AM »
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1357785974005256193?s=19

Manchin trying his hardest to sabotage midterm elections

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #5588 on: February 06, 2021, 09:56:48 AM »
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1357785974005256193?s=19

Manchin trying his hardest to sabotage midterm elections
It's a tough one considering the wide variation of cost of living/salaries in the US.  You have to error on the side of giving some people a check that don't need it to avoid skipping people who happen to live in high cost of living areas and make a larger salary that doesn't go as far.

I think a reasonable compromise would be to lower the phaseout beginning point from 75K to maybe 65k or so,  but don't change where the phaseout ends.  Effectively doesn't change the number of people who get checks, but at least lowers the amount people with higher incomes get. 

There are still holes in it.  If it's based on 2019 income taxes, what about people who lost jobs since then and have little income. Someone who made 100K in a big city would get little if anything even though they made nothing this year because they got laid off.

Hopefully they allow these people to use their 2020 income taxes to base it on, even though they may have to wait a little longer until they file.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 10:24:11 AM by bojanglesman »

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022
« Reply #5589 on: February 06, 2021, 02:46:44 PM »
Quote from: mj2sexay
That's what I like about you though del, always willing to politely call me out on my excrement without resorting to ad hominem and viciousness.
Imho, disagreeing with someone doesn't make them evil or worthy of going off the deep end, especially when it comes to politics.  No reason why some self-absorbed politician or anyone's political philosophy should hold that much emotional sway over me when I have enough 'issues upstairs' as it is.

Quote from: mj2sexay
And this place is way way WAYYY too hung up on the shriveled up raisins of a pathetic, geriatric drunk.
You motherless, cock-sucking son of a bitch, who the fuck do you think you're kidding you fuck?!!  A 'raisin' is a dried-up grape.  Pelosi's octogenarian orbs are anything but.  They're luscious and succulent and you belong in a monastery. 

Quote from: bojanglesman
Assassination of Pelosi boobs is punishable by lethal injection.
Spot on bo.   Boob(s)...double lethal injection.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #5590 on: February 06, 2021, 05:03:23 PM »
Imho, disagreeing with someone doesn't make them evil or worthy of going off the deep end, especially when it comes to politics.  No reason why some self-absorbed politician or anyone's political philosophy should hold that much emotional sway over me when I have enough 'issues upstairs' as it is.

You motherless, cock-sucking son of a bitch, who the fuck do you think you're kidding you fuck?!!  A 'raisin' is a dried-up grape.  Pelosi's octogenarian orbs are anything but.  They're luscious and succulent and you belong in a monastery. 

Spot on bo.   Boob(s)...double lethal injection.
Haha.  This guy....
I think we are pretty much in agreement that if you don't worship the wrinkly watermelons of Pelosi, you should be shot in the street.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 05:07:53 PM by bojanglesman »

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #5591 on: February 07, 2021, 11:40:42 AM »

The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #5592 on: February 08, 2021, 11:53:15 AM »
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #5593 on: February 08, 2021, 01:15:12 PM »
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/02/08/fetterman-senate-pennsylvania-466932

The depressing things is that you just know they're going to back some party loyalist against him in the primary. They'd honestly rather have a Republican they can publicly disagree with in the seat, than a progressive they can't.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #5594 on: February 08, 2021, 01:28:48 PM »
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-wright/texas-republican-first-in-u-s-congress-to-die-from-covid-19-idINKBN2A81WE

I don't know what a "constitutional conservative" is.
It's when you declare any attempt to use government to improve lives to be unconstitutional.

Tags: