Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 645091 times)

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022
Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #5535 on: January 27, 2021, 05:02:48 PM »
100% guaranteed every Republican will oppose it.

Article 1, Section 8, of the U.S. Constitution says Congress should be in charge of the seat of government, which will be a "District (not exceeding ten Miles square)."

So, they can either do what many would love to do: change the U.S. Constitution. 
Or, why not simply (if slyly) shrink the size of the "federal district" to the area just around the National Mall, the White House and Capitol Hill in order to make a state out of the bulk of the city. There would still be a district, but there would also be a new state (read: 52-50).

And then?  Puerto Rico! 54-50.
And then?  The world!....yeeeaaahhh!!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDwODbl3muE

fwiw: 64% of Americans oppose it (2019 Gallup poll): https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/15/us/gallup-poll-dc-statehood-trnd/index.html

https://truthout.org/articles/house-may-expel-qanon-lawmaker-marjorie-taylor-greene-dem-congressman-says/

Frazzledrip is a new one to me.
Forget the qanon chick for a second.........  'Truthout?'   Truthout??   hahaha

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #5536 on: January 27, 2021, 05:42:54 PM »

I honestly don't know who they are, but they look pretty left wing. (I saw the link on Reddit.) That said, the story reads as pretty fact-based, and it doesn't really require any political bias to make Greene look like an absolute headcase - her own words do a far better job of that than any journalist.

So no, don't let's forget the "QAnon chick" to focus on the source for a second. It's not really relevant at all, unless you can point to something in that article that reads in any way like selective or embellished quoting and/or sourcing.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022
« Reply #5537 on: January 27, 2021, 06:02:19 PM »
I honestly don't know who they are, but they look pretty left wing. (I saw the link on Reddit.) That said, the story reads as pretty fact-based, and it doesn't really require any political bias to make Greene look like an absolute headcase - her own words do a far better job of that than any journalist.

So no, don't let's forget the "QAnon chick" to focus on the source for a second. It's not really relevant at all, unless you can point to something in that article that reads in any way like selective or embellished quoting and/or sourcing.

'Just for a second' JE, just for a second.   No one suggested ignoring the loon altogether.  Further, I don't care if "Truthout" is center-left or left or far-left, I was (just for a second) expressing mild amusement at their 'righteous' bannerhead.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #5538 on: January 28, 2021, 12:58:05 AM »

Article 1, Section 8, of the U.S. Constitution says Congress should be in charge of the seat of government, which will be a "District (not exceeding ten Miles square)."

So, they can either do what many would love to do: change the U.S. Constitution. 
Or, why not simply (if slyly) shrink the size of the "federal district" to the area just around the National Mall, the White House and Capitol Hill in order to make a state out of the bulk of the city. There would still be a district, but there would also be a new state (read: 52-50).

And then?  Puerto Rico! 54-50.
And then?  The world!....yeeeaaahhh!!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDwODbl3muE

fwiw: 64% of Americans oppose it (2019 Gallup poll): https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/15/us/gallup-poll-dc-statehood-trnd/index.html

The road closures and barricades around the Capitol and White House prove how easy it is to draw that distinction.

Congress hasn't been the administrator for the city in decades and that city has a population greater than Vermont or Wyoming that lacks voting representation in the House and any representation in the Senate.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #5539 on: January 28, 2021, 01:44:14 PM »
The Republicans nominated Taylor-Greene to the Education Committee. They're just trolling now, aren't they?

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #5540 on: January 28, 2021, 10:28:44 PM »

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #5542 on: January 29, 2021, 05:23:45 AM »

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #5543 on: January 29, 2021, 05:40:56 AM »
Industry: Interview more BIPOC candidates for jobs.

Activision Blizzard: We can’t work under these conditions!!!
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #5544 on: January 29, 2021, 06:46:55 AM »
Industry: Interview more BIPOC candidates for jobs.

Activision Blizzard: We can’t work under these conditions!!!
This is exactly like Moby Dick!

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #5547 on: January 29, 2021, 03:05:23 PM »
Missouri just passed Bill 66 in their State Senate, which contains this particular doozy:

LIABILITY FOR MOTOR VEHICLE DRIVERS DURING A PROTEST (Section 537.570)

This act provides that a person operating a motor vehicle shall not be liable for injuries to another person who blocks traffic if such person was exercising due care and was not grossly negligent.

As well as this one:

USE OF FORCE DURING PROTESTS (Section 563.031)

This act provides that a person may use deadly force against another person if such force is used against a person who is participating in an unlawful assembly and unlawfully enters or attempts to enter private property that is owned or leased by an individual.

https://www.senate.mo.gov/21info/bts_web/Bill.aspx?SessionType=R&BillID=54250840

So if you're protesting and impede traffic, people who disagree with you are free to run you over. And if you step on their lawn, don't complain if you're shot and killed as they will face no liability.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #5549 on: February 01, 2021, 10:59:59 PM »

Tags: