Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 645076 times)

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #4695 on: December 21, 2020, 09:47:29 PM »
https://twitter.com/tracksuitwheel1/status/1341074989286506496?s=21

She's not wrong. $600 is a significant amount to most working families. It's just not enough to make a difference for a lot of the families who are struggling the most.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #4696 on: December 21, 2020, 09:48:35 PM »
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #4697 on: December 22, 2020, 08:51:37 AM »
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022
« Reply #4698 on: December 22, 2020, 10:44:05 AM »

Significant crumbs

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #4699 on: December 22, 2020, 02:34:49 PM »
She's not wrong. $600 is a significant amount to most working families. It's just not enough to make a difference for a lot of the families who are struggling the most.

That's all well and good until we keep it in context that this is coming from the same person who said 2,000 bucks or so in tax breaks for a middle class family wasn't a lot of money.

I'm pretty encouraged in these divisive times at just how universally pissed everyone is about this.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #4700 on: December 22, 2020, 02:58:26 PM »
That's all well and good until we keep it in context that this is coming from the same person who said 2,000 bucks or so in tax breaks for a middle class family wasn't a lot of money.

That's not the same context though, is it? If someone wants to give me two grand I'll happily take it, but it's not going to make any kind of difference to my life. For plenty of others, especially right now, that's the difference between making rent and not.

I think the question about who should be getting what tax breaks is different to who should be getting what direct payments as a pandemic emergency measure.

I'm pretty encouraged in these divisive times at just how universally pissed everyone is about this.

For a variety of different reasons, I presume.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #4701 on: December 22, 2020, 03:01:30 PM »
That's not the same context though, is it? If someone wants to give me two grand I'll happily take it, but it's not going to make any kind of difference to my life. For plenty of others, especially right now, that's the difference between making rent and not.

I think the question about who should be getting what tax breaks is different to who should be getting what direct payments as a pandemic emergency measure.

For a variety of different reasons, I presume.

They're not as unrelated as you think considering the allotment of money in this legislation.

FWIW, if I was Trump I've veto it for a whole host of reasons even though it'd be largely symbolic.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #4702 on: December 22, 2020, 03:50:17 PM »
Dunno about you guys but I'm gonna save a small fortune on my racehorse tax deduction.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #4703 on: December 23, 2020, 02:14:20 AM »
Dunno about you guys but I'm gonna save a small fortune on my racehorse tax deduction.

It’s a fun way to minimize the very real effect Trumps cuts had for 80 percent of American families. Not all own racehorses or are millionaires.

But really I only came here to say; Amy Klobuchar is a disgustingly rancid queynte who should’ve been forced to resign in disgrace for failing to prosecute Chauvin in her time as AG but of course gets the protection legacy media affords these establishment careerist pieces of lowlife excrement.

For context, she was on some dudes show tonight talking about how a Trump veto in an attempt to expand the stimulus check to 2k is “an attack on American families.”

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #4704 on: December 23, 2020, 06:42:04 AM »

It’s a fun way to minimize the very real effect Trumps cuts had for 80 percent of American families. Not all own racehorses or are millionaires.

They could have very easily just helped the 80% without the other stuff.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #4705 on: December 23, 2020, 09:10:46 AM »
The issue isn't wanting to make the stimulus checks bigger, that's fine. It's the timing.  I don't think there's any reasonable way to get that done before unemployment aid expires in a few days, and the eviction moratorium a few days after that.

If Trump was going to veto because the checks are too small, why not say it 2 weeks ago?  All he said was that he wanted bigger checks, but nothing about vetoing a bill because of it. 

EDIT:  It is a veto-proof bill, so he may not have a lot of say, and he never said the word veto, so I'm just an idiot reading the news too fast.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 09:28:12 AM by bojanglesman »

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #4706 on: December 23, 2020, 09:32:15 AM »

The issue isn't wanting to make the stimulus checks bigger, that's fine. It's the timing.  I don't think there's any reasonable way to get that done before unemployment aid expires in a few days, and the eviction moratorium a few days after that.

Not to mention looming government shutdown after 12/28

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #4707 on: December 26, 2020, 10:18:09 PM »

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #4708 on: December 27, 2020, 07:41:28 PM »
Trump signed the bill, so all the posturing was apparently just that.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #4709 on: December 28, 2020, 08:20:59 PM »
Sanders trying to force the Senate to vote on the $2000 stimulus payments

https://twitter.com/ylanmui/status/1343719232576618496?s=19

Tags: