Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 644495 times)

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #4200 on: July 29, 2020, 10:08:35 PM »
I'm glad you asked. It covers a multitude of things. I don't think we're going to turn every six tooth redneck child into a Python whiz, but if I were in government (and not just the US, this applies equally pretty much any of the countries with which I have a passing political familiarity) I would look to make significant investments in a wide variety of programs to make educational programs more accessible for all, including but definitely not limited to:

- Massively subsidised training for vocations for the public good (e.g. nursing, teaching, social care)
- Beneficial term and forgivable loans for viable industry training (e.g. programming, IT, sales, finance)
- Government and industry backed training salaries to ensure that people do not have to forgo entering one of these training programs in order to cover basic living costs
- Salary subsidy for all apprenticeship programs along with a government operated skills and training marketplace, and preferential contractor/subcontractor programs to favour those organisations providing apprenticeships when bidding on public works contracts
- Childcare programs for all students needing it

I would also be taking active steps to stop the crazy cycle of can't get a job without a degree, can't get a degree without taking on massive debt, can't actually get a job in your chosen field even with a degree - I have particular thinking around the reprovisioning and repurposing of university education as well, but that's more applicable to countries like Canada and the US where basic human rights like healthcare are still provided as a public good.

Healthy and educated populations are productive. Basic economics tells us that keeping people sick and stupid is a core inefficiency. Any capitalist who doesn't want smarter people doesn't understand simple economic principles.

Healthy and educated is a threat to the fantastically wealthy and powerful--especially the powerful.

Inefficiencies only matter if there is more work than labor to fill it.

There are currently plans to unveil an economic stimulus package with a lower payment to the unemployed because business owners complained they couldn't fill jobs since people have been receiving more money on unemployment than businesses are willing to pay for labor. Profits over people should be part of the American National Anthem.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #4201 on: July 29, 2020, 10:12:09 PM »
Healthy and educated is a threat to the fantastically wealthy and powerful--especially the powerful.

Inefficiencies only matter if there is more work than labor to fill it.

There are currently plans to unveil an economic stimulus package with a lower payment to the unemployed because business owners complained they couldn't fill jobs since people have been receiving more money on unemployment than businesses are willing to pay for labor. Profits over people should be part of the American National Anthem.

What do you think happens if businesses go under?

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #4202 on: July 29, 2020, 10:22:22 PM »
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #4203 on: July 29, 2020, 10:24:29 PM »

Other businesses take their place? I thought Americans prided themselves on filling gaps with entrepreneurial innovation?

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with your question. Am I supposed to say "Well, in order to maintain the precious economy, businesses have to survive, and for businesses to survive, they have to maximize profits, even if that means paying lower wages"?

If that's the nonsense you're looking for, you're talking to the wrong person.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #4204 on: July 29, 2020, 10:46:27 PM »
Other businesses take their place? I thought Americans prided themselves on filling gaps with entrepreneurial innovation?

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with your question. Am I supposed to say "Well, in order to maintain the precious economy, businesses have to survive, and for businesses to survive, they have to maximize profits, even if that means paying lower wages"?

If that's the nonsense you're looking for, you're talking to the wrong person.

Yeah during good times, not at the beginning of potentially a recession/depression depending on how this plays out.

And maybe you have a skewed vision of businesses with this talk of maximizing profits.

Your average business isn't Microsoft or Amazon and some other multi billion dollar corporations worried about getting new private jets. It's tiny small businesses all over the country doing everything they can to survive. I mean this pandemic hasn't even peaked yet and look what has happened to restaurants. Imagine if this continues for another 8 months.

And if that not enough for you think of it from a humanitarian perspective. If only select people are going to be supported from the government during these times. Do you think that should be determined based on need? As in elderly, immunosuppresed, vulnerable, taking care of sick/elderly etc?

Or should it be determined simply by opportunistic people wanting to take advantage of the government during a crisis deciding they should be entitled to government money while others who actually need it are out working everyday?

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #4205 on: July 29, 2020, 10:49:33 PM »
Here’s a novel approach for DCM: STFU.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #4206 on: July 29, 2020, 11:00:02 PM »
Here’s a novel approach for DCM: STFU.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #4207 on: July 30, 2020, 07:37:49 AM »
I mean it's pretty clear dcm is just whatabouting police violence by trying to muddy the waters with the very different issues of education and previously health.

So I don't know why anyone is effortposting in response.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #4208 on: July 30, 2020, 08:55:47 AM »
I mean it's pretty clear dcm is just whatabouting police violence by trying to muddy the waters with the very different issues of education and previously health.

So I don't know why anyone is effortposting in response.

dcm ‘giant block of excrement that nobody wants to read‘ response incoming
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #4210 on: July 30, 2020, 01:19:59 PM »

ons

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #4211 on: July 30, 2020, 01:20:24 PM »
https://twitter.com/JSCCounterPunch/status/1288872491566288896?s=19

I mean, it's true to an extent. There was a lot of division within the Civil Rights movement in the 60s. John Lewis was one of the first members of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee, and was definitely part of the faction that believed strongly in the dogma of nonviolence. In 66, he lost an election for head of the SNCC to Stokely Carmichael, who was advocating for more a militaristic focus and popularized the phrase 'black power'. John Lewis was both criticized and praised within the movement at the time for being conciliatory and non-combative.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #4212 on: July 30, 2020, 01:34:37 PM »
Of course being conciliatory and noncombative are the two most desirable qualities in an activist if you're a Clinton.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #4213 on: July 30, 2020, 01:50:21 PM »

Nick Cordero, Adam Schlesinger and & Roy will all be relieved to hear that.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #4214 on: July 30, 2020, 02:00:25 PM »
Nick Cordero, Adam Schlesinger and & Roy will all be relieved to hear that.

Not real! HOAX. STFU Marxist!!!!

Tags: