Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 644884 times)

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #4005 on: June 03, 2020, 04:20:22 PM »
No.

The fact that Chauvin’s charges were upgraded today, 5 days after his initial arrest should probably let you know that the accused don’t have to be allowed to walk around free in order for authorities to gather further evidence.

I live in a city full of lawyers. I have not had a single lawyer tell me that the Minneapolis DA was right to wait or that there was anything missing in the open source resources that would have been grounds to delay taking all four of them into custody.

Lmao, good going brainlet, you just made the argument against bail reform.

I can only imagine how the state would manipulate that very ethic to keep poor people in freaking jail.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #4006 on: June 03, 2020, 04:21:29 PM »
Lmao, good going brainlet, you just made the argument against bail reform.

I can only imagine how the state would manipulate that very ethic to keep poor people in freaking jail.

Can’t be on bail if you are not arrested first. But please keep reaching. Do you really have nothing else better to do than follow me or Heis around on this message board?

I miss DCM
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #4007 on: June 03, 2020, 04:34:25 PM »
No.

The fact that Chauvin’s charges were upgraded today, 5 days after his initial arrest should probably let you know that the accused don’t have to be allowed to walk around free in order for authorities to gather further evidence.

I live in a city full of lawyers. I have not had a single lawyer tell me that the Minneapolis DA was right to wait or that there was anything missing in the open source resources that would have been grounds to delay taking all four of them into custody.

OK, but I don't see what was lost by waiting. By definition the legal system has to operate outside and independent of mob rule. If there are reasons why the legal system could or should have been more efficient in this case then I'm willing to listen, but "it might have made the protests less violent" isn't one I'm willing to accept. For one I don't believe it would have made any different to the protests, and for another the idea of a legal system whose behaviour is dictated by fear of mob repercussions is frankly terrifying. That's only one step removed from the return of lynching.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #4008 on: June 03, 2020, 04:35:54 PM »
Can’t be on bail if you are not arrested first. But please keep reaching. Do you really have nothing else better to do than follow me or Heis around on this message board?

I miss DCM

What? That has nothing to do with anything. He was arrested. They upgraded the charges while he's been in custody.

You literally described the thought process behind prosecutors and judges when they set sky high bail on people irrespective of the enumerated factors in order to keep them in jail.

Your inability to see the logical end result of the excrement you spew in a situation where its applied against you is remarkable.
DCM mode engaged is right.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #4009 on: June 03, 2020, 04:53:33 PM »
What? That has nothing to do with anything. He was arrested. They upgraded the charges while he's been in custody.

You literally described the thought process behind prosecutors and judges when they set sky high bail on people irrespective of the enumerated factors in order to keep them in jail.

Your inability to see the logical end result of the excrement you spew in a situation where its applied against you is remarkable.
DCM mode engaged is right.

The whole point was that they should have arrested the other three sooner. I also never discussed denying them bail. I said the Minnesota authorities didn't have to wait to get more evidence because what they had was sufficient and the investigation process doesn't end with the arrest.

The sad thing is I know you're not better than this.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 04:56:20 PM by CatoTheElder »
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #4010 on: June 03, 2020, 04:55:16 PM »
You laugh, but I remember everyone immediately moving to discredit Juiced when it came out.

Oops.

Speaking of Jose, this home run has been buried into my head for about 20 years because of what a freaking moonshot it was https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3hNyAByEH8

When I think of Jose Canseco this is what I think of:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Foi-McBulkw
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #4011 on: June 03, 2020, 05:00:59 PM »

I think I'll do what all the cool kids are doing in relation to this graph and pull out an Alan Moore quote, "Who Watches The Watchmen."

There is much that is disagreeable with this graph.
Its an infographic that organizes new coverage by biases and analysis vs opinion.  If you want to agree how far right or left something should go or up and down, go for your freaking life.  But as a whole this is a good depiction of objective vs subjective and left vs right with the truth being AP and Reuters are the most trustworthy news outlets.
I take issue not only with the placements but also the categories themselves.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #4012 on: June 03, 2020, 05:03:00 PM »
I take issue not only with the placements but also the categories themselves.

Depends whether the graph is drawn in the current Overton context or the absolute spectrum.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #4013 on: June 03, 2020, 05:21:07 PM »
OK, but I don't see what was lost by waiting. By definition the legal system has to operate outside and independent of mob rule. If there are reasons why the legal system could or should have been more efficient in this case then I'm willing to listen, but "it might have made the protests less violent" isn't one I'm willing to accept. For one I don't believe it would have made any different to the protests, and for another the idea of a legal system whose behaviour is dictated by fear of mob repercussions is frankly terrifying. That's only one step removed from the return of lynching.

We don't know whether or not the protests would have happened or not but nothing was gained, either. I'd argue that the police response to the protests was what helped spur on protests in other cities and escalated the response from the crowd. The death of George Floyd was certainly the spark but it alone was not the what got us to where we are now.

In a sense the MPD and DA's failure to act will likely come to be realized as the catalyst that will hopefully drive a massive amount of reform in the actions of the police and the way elected officials ensure that police abuse is curbed but if they weren't cops they would have been arrested sooner.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 05:25:49 PM by CatoTheElder »

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #4014 on: June 03, 2020, 05:26:00 PM »
Depends whether the graph is drawn in the current Overton context or the absolute spectrum.
Even the current narrow window still needs to show a demonstrable left/liberal divide.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #4015 on: June 03, 2020, 05:42:15 PM »
We don't know whether or not the protests would have happened or not but nothing was gained, either. I'd argue that the police response to the protests was what helped spur on protests in other cities and escalated the response from the crowd. The death of George Floyd was certainly the spark but it alone was not the what got us to where we are now.

In a sense the MPD and DA's failure to act will likely come to be realized as the catalyst that will hopefully drive a massive amount of reform in the actions of the police and the way elected officials ensure that police abuse is curbed but if they weren't cops they would have been arrested sooner.

Absent a window into an alternate universe we'll never know the truth of your first point, but I'd still on balance prefer a legal system that takes its time to get the most high profile and important of cases right the first time.

I agree with your second point completely.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #4016 on: June 03, 2020, 05:44:24 PM »
Even the current narrow window still needs to show a demonstrable left/liberal divide.

As long as the right/liberal divide is on the same scale, then the scale is fine. You can make an argument that they could have made it wider, both to bring it into uniformity with the y-axis and to make it more legible.

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #4017 on: June 03, 2020, 05:50:11 PM »
As long as the right/liberal divide is on the same scale, then the scale is fine. You can make an argument that they could have made it wider, both to bring it into uniformity with the y-axis and to make it more legible.
Precisely.  Arguing how much further up and to right a news provider should be is not the point.  They're relative to each other and on an equal scale.

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #4018 on: June 03, 2020, 06:03:21 PM »
when i think of jose canseco the first thing that comes to mind is the 'im jose canseco bitch' lines for the red power ranger in the power rangers gangster crab video

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #4019 on: June 03, 2020, 07:14:13 PM »
Precisely.  Arguing how much further up and to right a news provider should be is not the point.  They're relative to each other and on an equal scale.

No they're not. Not in the least. That actually was my argument. The proportionality of partisanism is way off.

Tags: