Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 645716 times)

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #3960 on: June 01, 2020, 12:30:03 PM »
If you weigh the odds that this Congress would do something to alleviate the material conditions that lead to this kind of desperation, vs them passing some sort of broad sweeping increase of police powers, doing nothing is not the worst outcome here.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #3961 on: June 01, 2020, 12:36:33 PM »
If you weigh the odds that this Congress would do something to alleviate the material conditions that lead to this kind of desperation, vs them passing some sort of broad sweeping increase of police powers, doing nothing is not the worst outcome here.

Why would a Democrat controlled congress do the latter?
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #3962 on: June 01, 2020, 02:10:28 PM »

From Joe Biden’s website, section “The Biden Plan for Black America”

Reinvigorate community-oriented policing.

Policing works best when officers are out of their cruisers and walking the streets, engaging with and getting to know members of their communities. But in order to do that, police departments need resources to hire a sufficient number of officers. Biden spearheaded the Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS) program, which authorized funding both for the hiring of additional police officers and for training on how to undertake a community policing approach. However, the program has never been funded to fulfill the original vision for community policing. Biden will reinvigorate the COPS program with a $300 million investment. As a condition of the grant, hiring of police officers must mirror the racial diversity of the community they serve. Additionally, as President, Biden will establish a panel to scrutinize what equipment is used by law enforcement in our communities.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #3963 on: June 01, 2020, 02:36:09 PM »
lmao

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #3964 on: June 01, 2020, 02:40:02 PM »

Democrats wrote and passed the Crime Bill in the first place. Although if Joe gets elected he probably would do everything in his power to try and mitigate the fact that he wrote the original bill from his legacy.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #3965 on: June 01, 2020, 03:05:14 PM »
I was told Democrats are good

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #3966 on: June 01, 2020, 03:07:01 PM »

Anyone can freak this up.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #3967 on: June 01, 2020, 06:15:05 PM »
Depends which ones

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #3968 on: June 01, 2020, 06:16:29 PM »
Being better than the other side doesn't make them good.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #3969 on: June 02, 2020, 12:32:37 PM »

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #3970 on: June 02, 2020, 12:49:38 PM »
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1267833527002894339?s=21

Meh.  Trump or Pelosi, I really don't care.  It's primary purpose is as a prop for hypocrites, other than that it's just the world's worst fan fiction. 

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #3971 on: June 02, 2020, 01:06:01 PM »
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1267833527002894339?s=21

It’s been done. Although she looks less confused about what she’s holding than that other guy.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #3972 on: June 02, 2020, 01:14:06 PM »
The most Presidential thing that 45 has ever said:

“We are a nation in pain, but we must not allow this pain to destroy us. We are a nation enraged, but we cannot allow our rage to consume us. We are a nation exhausted, but we will not allow our exhaustion to defeat us. The only way to bear this pain is to turn all that anguish to purpose. And as President, I will help lead this conversation — and more importantly, I will listen, just as I did today visiting the site of last night's protests in Wilmington”.

Oh no wait, my mistake. It wasn't Trump who said this, it was Biden. It should have been Trump saying it, but he doesn't have the first clue what being a leader is about.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #3973 on: June 02, 2020, 07:25:14 PM »
The most Presidential thing that 45 has ever said:

Oh no wait, my mistake. It wasn't Trump who said this, it was Biden. It should have been Trump saying it, but he doesn't have the first clue what being a leader is about.

talk is cheap. he's obviously using the moment to push his run for presidency. this is the same guy that not two weeks ago said black identity began and ended with whether or not a person was voting for him

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #3974 on: June 02, 2020, 08:02:24 PM »
talk is cheap. he's obviously using the moment to push his run for presidency. this is the same guy that not two weeks ago said black identity began and ended with whether or not a person was voting for him

Not really my point, which was that someone who has never been President managed to make a more Presidential speech than anything that has left the mouth of someone who has been in the job for almost a whole term. It was a criticism of Trump, not an endorsement of Biden (although FWIW I think that your characterisation of what he said is a bit reductive and lacking in context).
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Tags: