Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 645731 times)

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #3795 on: February 12, 2020, 10:07:34 AM »
Lol @ the idea Republicans had that the "scar of impeachment" would temper Trump. The star of The Apprentice will somehow be forgiving of people who--under subpoena--testify against him, or not reward someone who helps him?

The GOP doesn't give two fucks about this country. Of course, they're killing election security bills. They've gerrymandered the excrement out of the country and so far, any "alleged" interference has benefitted their party. Why do anything to slow that "progress"?

*In before someone says "Russian interference is a hoax", or some excuse about voting districts being justified, or Obama-something-something, or some excrement about how liberals are just as bad and stop listening to left-slanted media.

Neither party gives a excrement about this country

That's how Trump came to exist. And why the democrats are force feeding Hillary Clinton last year and Biden/Warren down peoples throats even though nobody freaking wants them.

Both political parties are completely out of touch with American values

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #3796 on: February 12, 2020, 11:24:45 AM »
I missed the part where republicans voted for impeachment

I know the news is biased and not worth your time, but Senate Republicans have told reporters that they thought the stain of the impeachment process--even with the acquittal--would be enough to temper Trump's personality. Now they're shocked that it somehow didn't and has actually emboldened his behavior.

I know, I know. I should stop reading whatever ultralib website people seem to think all leftists get their news from, and disbelieve any story that speaks about "the opposite side" in any non-positive way. Because there must be an agenda there. There just must.

How dare those evil senate republicans act in a partisan manner regarding something that got through the house with absolutely zero bi-partisan support!

Yes, how dare anyone do their Constitutionally mandated jobs? And in a fair-and-impartial manner? I know, I know "But the libs were completely partisan in impeaching!!!!"

Except, Rubio literally claimed that just because Trump's actions were impeachable, doesn't mean they should have voted to remove him.

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) published an article on Medium, Friday, claiming that just because President Donald Trump’s actions may be impeachable, he shouldn’t be removed because it would “inflict extraordinary and potentially irreparable damage” on the nation.

How dare anyone hold our representatives accountable to its laws?!
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #3797 on: February 12, 2020, 11:36:22 AM »
I know the news is biased and not worth your time, but Senate Republicans have told reporters that they thought the stain of the impeachment process--even with the acquittal--would be enough to temper Trump's personality. Now they're shocked that it somehow didn't and has actually emboldened his behavior.

I know, I know. I should stop reading whatever ultralib website people seem to think all leftists get their news from, and disbelieve any story that speaks about "the opposite side" in any non-positive way. Because there must be an agenda there. There just must.

Yes, how dare anyone do their Constitutionally mandated jobs? And in a fair-and-impartial manner? I know, I know "But the libs were completely partisan in impeaching!!!!"

Except, Rubio literally claimed that just because Trump's actions were impeachable, doesn't mean they should have voted to remove him.

Yeah, I get that you like to completely ignore or discount anything that disrupts the precious narrative (such as factual information which directly contradicts your rhetoric on the tax cuts, Puerto Rico etc.) but we've already been through this. Rubio's stance has precedence and isn't unlike the stance that many Senate Democrats AND Republicans took when electing not to remove Bubba from office for flagrantly committing perjury (you know, an actual felony) because the damage to institutions like our electoral process and the Presidency itself isn't commiserate with the charge, or worth it.

"The libs" were completely partisan in impeaching. A once somber last resort has been turned into a hyper-political process that either party now has the precedence to engage in whenever the opposition is occupying the executive branch. If you don't think Cocaine Mitch is already salivating over the likelyhood of a Republican House eventually impeaching a Democratic President under flimsy pretenses, you haven't paid attention to how he's been able to take advantage of Harry Reid invoking the nuclear option re: judicial appointments.

"How dare we not usurp one election result, subvert another and disenfranchise 60 million plus over a bullshit pretense because this guy is going to skate to re-election!"

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #3798 on: February 13, 2020, 10:04:57 AM »

IMO, that’s a dumb talking point you got baited on. No republican actually thought that. And if they did they could put their money where their mouth is like Romney did.
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #3799 on: February 13, 2020, 10:23:22 AM »
IMO, that’s a dumb talking point you got baited on. No republican actually thought that. And if they did they could put their money where their mouth is like Romney did.

Again, I know how you feel about the media, and it's cool. I'm not exactly a huge fan either.

But it keeps being reported by news outlets on both sides of the aisle. Which yes, I do read--that's how you keep some perspective. Of course, every story is slanted based on the storyteller.

It's like Adam Gase. If I read a Manish story about Gase, I'm going to jump on "anonymous quotes" that paint him in a dislikable light. Someone else, Heismanberg for example, is going to say "freak Manish, stop reading his bullshit."

Neither of us is totally right or wrong. Manish almost certainly has a source inside the org that said whatever he quoted. But given his attitude towards Gase, he's going to make mountains out of molehills.

It's no different from stories about Washington. WaPo's take on a Trump story is going to be vastly different than FOX News' take. But if both tell a story containing the same nuggets of info, i.e. Republican Senators being surprised at Trump's behavior post-impeachment, the chances are, there are actually GOP Senators who are surprised.

I read this morning that some GOP members are now surprised/worried about Trump trying to expand his war powers for Iran. Was I baited? FTR, I got that story from a right-slanted media outlet.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #3800 on: February 13, 2020, 10:30:17 AM »
Again, I know how you feel about the media, and it's cool. I'm not exactly a huge fan either.

But it keeps being reported by news outlets on both sides of the aisle. Which yes, I do read--that's how you keep some perspective. Of course, every story is slanted based on the storyteller.

It's like Adam Gase. If I read a Manish story about Gase, I'm going to jump on "anonymous quotes" that paint him in a dislikable light. Someone else, Heismanberg for example, is going to say "freak Manish, stop reading his bullshit."

Neither of us is totally right or wrong. Manish almost certainly has a source inside the org that said whatever he quoted. But given his attitude towards Gase, he's going to make mountains out of molehills.

It's no different from stories about Washington. WaPo's take on a Trump story is going to be vastly different than FOX News' take. But if both tell a story containing the same nuggets of info, i.e. Republican Senators being surprised at Trump's behavior post-impeachment, the chances are, there are actually GOP Senators who are surprised.

I read this morning that some GOP members are now surprised/worried about Trump trying to expand his war powers for Iran. Was I baited? FTR, I got that story from a right-slanted media outlet.

I don’t doubt that some republicans actually said that, but that’s them trying to save face or distance themselves from Trump. No one with a brain thought this impeachment was going to do anything other than send Trump on a rampage and invoke a zillion dumbass tweets

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #3801 on: February 13, 2020, 10:40:37 AM »
I'm excited to hear MJs explanation as to why Roger Stone should be pardoned

This aged well.

So we’re ok with apparent sham trials now?

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #3802 on: February 13, 2020, 11:01:43 AM »
I don’t doubt that some republicans actually said that, but that’s them trying to save face or distance themselves from Trump. No one with a brain thought this impeachment was going to do anything other than send Trump on a rampage and invoke a zillion dumbass tweets

Sure, no one was disillusioned there.

But the concerning thing is firing very respected people for having the gall to comply with subpoenas, or his new attempts to expand the executive branch's war powers to get into a war with Iran, or his direct interference into the Stone trial. They didn't see that coming (or at least that's what they're saying to reporters).

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #3803 on: February 13, 2020, 11:14:43 AM »
Sure, no one was disillusioned there.

But the concerning thing is firing very respected people for having the gall to comply with subpoenas, or his new attempts to expand the executive branch's war powers to get into a war with Iran, or his direct interference into the Stone trial. They didn't see that coming (or at least that's what they're saying to reporters).

I really don’t follow the news cycle that closely, but everything you described sounds like normal Trump business to me.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #3804 on: February 13, 2020, 11:25:30 AM »

But it keeps being reported by news outlets on both sides of the aisle.

Both sides, the right and the center.

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #3805 on: February 13, 2020, 11:56:57 AM »
This aged well.

So we’re ok with apparent sham trials now?
You're right all of the Jury members should have been Pro-Trump

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #3806 on: February 13, 2020, 12:28:47 PM »
No one with a brain thought this impeachment was going to do anything other than send Trump on a rampage and invoke a zillion dumbass tweets
Pretty much and that's what's wrong with the political process, no one gives three shits about logic and what's right. excrement you even see it in these threads, not pointing fingers at anyone in particular.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #3807 on: February 13, 2020, 01:05:17 PM »
Pretty much and that's what's wrong with the political process, no one gives three shits about logic and what's right. excrement you even see it in these threads, not pointing fingers at anyone in particular.
I'm not saying it was the right thing to do, but you're saying because the likelihood was that he wouldn't get impeached his actions should have been ignored?

Wrong is wrong.  If you want to argue it was a poor strategic decision I can understand that.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #3808 on: February 13, 2020, 01:08:28 PM »
You're right all of the Jury members should have been Pro-Trump

Hey man, nice strawman!

I'm not saying it was the right thing to do, but you're saying because the likelihood was that he wouldn't get impeached his actions should have been ignored?

Wrong is wrong.  If you want to argue it was a poor strategic decision I can understand that.

"His actions" which of course were so violative of a law or constitutional clause that the impeachment charges failed to cite a law or constitutional clause that his actions violated.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #3809 on: February 13, 2020, 01:18:28 PM »
I really don’t follow the news cycle that closely, but everything you described sounds like normal Trump business to me.

Of course it is. Which is why the only thing that's actually shocking is that there were people who thought it would be any different. And that was my initial point before it went off the rails.

Having reviewed what I posted, I think I see where the confusion may have come from though:

Lol @ the idea Republicans had that the "scar of impeachment" would temper Trump. The star of The Apprentice will somehow be forgiving of people who--under subpoena--testify against him, or not reward someone who helps him?

The GOP doesn't give two fucks about this country. Of course, they're killing election security bills. They've gerrymandered the excrement out of the country and so far, any "alleged" interference has benefitted their party. Why do anything to slow that "progress"?

*In before someone says "Russian interference is a hoax", or some excuse about voting districts being justified, or Obama-something-something, or some excrement about how liberals are just as bad and stop listening to left-slanted media.

The first paragraph was the only one for that topic. The second paragraph was meant to piggyback insanity's post regarding the GOP killing a couple more election protection bills. They should've been two separate posts.

Tags: