Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 646101 times)

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #3600 on: March 02, 2019, 08:05:09 AM »
Had no idea she said this, I for one am SHOCKED

That young people feel this way?

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #3601 on: March 02, 2019, 08:30:51 AM »
That young people feel this way?

I probably fall into the category of an older millennial (I don’t identify with those fucktards though), but I’m at the age where many of my friends are having kids and I’ve never heard anyone say this. If young people aren’t having kids, it’s usually because they’re single/not married yet/don’t plan on getting married, or don’t want the economic burden or responsibility of taking care of a child. And that’s perfectly fine. Never heard anyone say they didn’t want to have kids because of some made up moral obligation. That’s just my experience though.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 08:33:58 AM by SixFeetDeep »
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

ons

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #3602 on: March 02, 2019, 09:53:28 AM »
I probably fall into the category of an older millennial (I don’t identify with those fucktards though), but I’m at the age where many of my friends are having kids and I’ve never heard anyone say this. If young people aren’t having kids, it’s usually because they’re single/not married yet/don’t plan on getting married, or don’t want the economic burden or responsibility of taking care of a child. And that’s perfectly fine. Never heard anyone say they didn’t want to have kids because of some made up moral obligation. That’s just my experience though.

In my social circles it's pretty common. I've heard different versions of that same idea (having a child is the most damaging thing an individual can do for the environment, having a child not knowing the environmental stability of the world they will grow old in is scary) since I was in college ~10 years ago

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022
« Reply #3603 on: March 02, 2019, 06:46:48 PM »
having a child is the most damaging thing an individual can do for the environment
Self-righteous utter selfiishness at play.  Question is, which side owns it.   

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #3604 on: March 02, 2019, 07:33:18 PM »
Self-righteous utter selfiishness at play.  Question is, which side owns it.
Wait are you arguing that having a child is a selfless act?

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022
« Reply #3605 on: March 03, 2019, 08:34:37 AM »
Wait are you arguing that having a child is a selfless act?
Point taken.

And imho it depends on who owns it.  Take for example a woman who badly wants to have a kid and her partner who for purely selfish reasons doesn't (i.e. doesn't want to deal with the child-rearing responsibility, the costs involved, etc.).  He relents, becomes a 'selfless' team player and makes 1st team all-family by becoming a daddy. Again point taken,  I'm just not yet at the stage of auto defaulting to environmental considerations when it comes to having kids. 

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #3606 on: March 03, 2019, 04:02:45 PM »
Point taken.

And imho it depends on who owns it.  Take for example a woman who badly wants to have a kid and her partner who for purely selfish reasons doesn't (i.e. doesn't want to deal with the child-rearing responsibility, the costs involved, etc.).  He relents, becomes a 'selfless' team player and makes 1st team all-family by becoming a daddy. Again point taken,  I'm just not yet at the stage of auto defaulting to environmental considerations when it comes to having kids.

I'm not sure how that's selfless.  You're bringing a child into this world who's father doesnt want him/her.  Selfless for the mother maybe, but it's irresponsible and definitely not selfless to the kid.

You dont need to change your mind about having kids because of the environment, but it's good to at the very least think about the environment you'll kids will grow up in when deciding on whether you want to have kids.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #3607 on: March 03, 2019, 04:44:23 PM »
I'm not sure how that's selfless.  You're bringing a child into this world who's father doesnt want him/her.  Selfless for the mother maybe, but it's irresponsible and definitely not selfless to the kid.

You dont need to change your mind about having kids because of the environment, but it's good to at the very least think about the environment you'll kids will grow up in when deciding on whether you want to have kids.

Your parents should have aborted you since the world is going to end in 10 years

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #3608 on: March 03, 2019, 04:44:46 PM »
^that was harsh, jk, ily insanity

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #3609 on: March 03, 2019, 05:31:22 PM »
It's interesting how the right call liberals snowflakes, but when someone on the left makes a point that is beyond a conservatives scope of consideration they consider it a personal attack.

I would personally love to have children, but I'm worried about being able to provide for them, even with my salary.  I'm worried about what the climate will be when they're adults; will they be able to live a full life and how will effect our food supply?
I'm worried about what technology is going to do for their job market and what the economy is going to look like if we keep going along our current path. 

If I was to become a parent I'd probably be more comfortable adopting because I know how many children in this world grow up without food or parents, and I'd rather care for one of those children than bring another hungry mouth into this world.

Some of my friends share my viewpoint, but not all and most not to my extreme.  Am I more pessimistic than most, most definitely.  I'm just thinking about the effects my actions have on my children and on the world.  Just like AOC.
But I would never judge someone else for their decision. 

In that video AOC isnt saying to stop having children and that she's going to prevent you from having kids with her political power. 
She's asking you to think about the effects having children have on the world around you.  She's asking you to think about the world your kids will be growing up in before making a decision.  She's asking you to think about your children's future when you're making daily decisions and your opinions on policy.

Why is that a problem and such a big deal?

« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 05:44:11 PM by insanity »

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #3610 on: March 03, 2019, 05:33:21 PM »
^that was harsh, jk, ily insanity
Eat a dick  :-*

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #3611 on: March 04, 2019, 11:45:46 AM »

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #3612 on: March 04, 2019, 11:50:38 AM »
It's interesting how the right call liberals snowflakes, but when someone on the left makes a point that is beyond a conservatives scope of consideration they consider it a personal attack.

I would personally love to have children, but I'm worried about being able to provide for them, even with my salary.  I'm worried about what the climate will be when they're adults; will they be able to live a full life and how will effect our food supply?
I'm worried about what technology is going to do for their job market and what the economy is going to look like if we keep going along our current path. 

If I was to become a parent I'd probably be more comfortable adopting because I know how many children in this world grow up without food or parents, and I'd rather care for one of those children than bring another hungry mouth into this world.

Some of my friends share my viewpoint, but not all and most not to my extreme.  Am I more pessimistic than most, most definitely.  I'm just thinking about the effects my actions have on my children and on the world.  Just like AOC.
But I would never judge someone else for their decision. 

In that video AOC isnt saying to stop having children and that she's going to prevent you from having kids with her political power. 
She's asking you to think about the effects having children have on the world around you.  She's asking you to think about the world your kids will be growing up in before making a decision.  She's asking you to think about your children's future when you're making daily decisions and your opinions on policy.

Why is that a problem and such a big deal?

I’m cool with you having that opinion, that’s completely fine.  I’m not a big fan of the government suggesting or telling me what to do. I’m not saying she took it that far, but it’s seems like we’re at the top of a slippery slope. She’s borderline shaming human beings for reproducing.

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #3613 on: March 04, 2019, 11:59:46 AM »
I’m not a big fan of the government suggesting or telling me what to do. I’m not saying she took it that far, but it’s seems like we’re at the top of a slippery slope. She’s borderline shaming human beings for reproducing.

That's what I don't get though.

I get you don't want the government to control you, agreed.  I'm actually for less government intervention, but I think we're at a point in time where more intervention is needed because greed has gotten out of hand.

But, if the government has information you are not privy to and wants to provide recommendations on how to improve you, your family, and the country's well being, what's wrong with sharing that information?

In the video she didn't even say you should or shouldn't do something, she said, "people are wondering if they should have kids"

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #3614 on: March 04, 2019, 04:58:26 PM »
That's what I don't get though.

I get you don't want the government to control you, agreed.  I'm actually for less government intervention, but I think we're at a point in time where more intervention is needed because greed has gotten out of hand.

But, if the government has information you are not privy to and wants to provide recommendations on how to improve you, your family, and the country's well being, what's wrong with sharing that information?

In the video she didn't even say you should or shouldn't do something, she said, "people are wondering if they should have kids"

Tags: