Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 644690 times)

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #3225 on: June 01, 2018, 09:54:12 AM »
HAHAHA CRIMINAL!

Out of curiosity, where do you get this hyperbole from?

I love the idea that parties in power shouldn't operate from their position. The GOP had a Senate majority, they were wholly within their right to not let Garland take the bench, especially considering his views on the Heller decision. As some clown with no remaining legacy once said, "elections have consequences."

Now, should they have granted Garland at the very least a confirmation hearing? Probably.  But considering the result was a forgone conclusion, and how such a hearing would've been portrayed by a media completely in the bag, why bother?

By the way, the sooner that intellectually bankrupt fossil gets off the bench, the better off we'll be.

EDIT: Nah, forget it. It's not worth it.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #3226 on: June 01, 2018, 09:57:23 AM »
On a different note, Betsy DeVos can't get any of her initiatives through the Republican-majority led Congress, so she's now determined to use her office's powers to make wholesale changes to the education system, regardless of what anyone else thinks.

The party of less government regulation, ladies and gentlemen.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #3227 on: June 01, 2018, 10:42:13 AM »
EDIT: Nah, forget it. It's not worth it.

No, seriously, I'd love to hear your case on how the Senate should act as a rubber stamp for judicial appointments to our highest bench, and whatever historical precedence you could provide for doing so. Tell me, how many years has Robert Bork been on the bench?

Now, if you want to talk about disgustingly partisan behavior from unelected officials, lets talk about how the sitting New York Attorney General actually called the entire concept of double jeopardy a freaking "loophole" yesterday because she didn't like the way the President was using his constitutionally afforded pardon power, before actually suggesting that the New York legislature do something about it.

HAHA! Real "liberal" take there. Lets just get rid of the entire concept of double jeopardy. "Hey, we know that this guy just secured an acquittal, but we'll just try it again LOL!" What a crock of utter horseshit.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #3228 on: June 01, 2018, 10:48:03 AM »
No, seriously, I'd love to hear your case on how the Senate should act as a rubber stamp for judicial appointments to our highest bench, and whatever historical precedence you could provide for doing so. Tell me, how many years has Robert Bork been on the bench?

Now, if you want to talk about disgustingly partisan behavior from unelected officials, lets talk about how the sitting New York Attorney General actually called the entire concept of double jeopardy a freaking "loophole" yesterday because she didn't like the way the President was using his constitutionally afforded pardon power, before actually suggesting that the New York legislature do something about it.

HAHA! Real "liberal" take there. Lets just get rid of the entire concept of double jeopardy. "Hey, we know that this guy just secured an acquittal, but we'll just try it again LOL!" What a crock of utter horseshit.

I just knew you wouldn't be able to keep control of yourself.

EDIT: Damnit. No. I'm not getting roped into this with you.

ons

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #3229 on: June 01, 2018, 11:56:22 AM »
Now, should they have granted Garland at the very least a confirmation hearing? Probably.  But considering the result was a forgone conclusion, and how such a hearing would've been portrayed by a media completely in the bag, why bother?

It is fascinating that Senator Orrin Hatch, in laying out his many fantastic reasons for the GOP to not consider any Obama nominee, invoked Garland as the type of moderate judge that the Supreme Court needed. Hatch, of course, has previously called Garland a "consensus nominee."

The problem with the parties in power operating from their position, as you so eloquently put it, is that when their position only exists in opposition to the other political party, they have clear incentives to increase their own influence and power by being antagonistic instead of solving problems. That destructive impulse, while it consolidates their rhetoric power within their base, leads to less faith in politicians from the majority of citizens, which leads to further divisive party politics, which leads to elections won by the most divisive and inflammatory candidates.

If parties operating from their position meant a good-faith effort to improve the opportunities given to all citizens, despite contrasting ideas of how those improvements would manifest, there would be no problem. But when parties operating from their position means doing whatever you can to strengthen the echo-chamber of your base and out-rhetoric your opponents, that is a massive problem.

Both Democrats and Republicans do this, of course. But the difference is that Republicans in power tend to play towards their rhetorical base, whereas Obama tripped over himself (and lost the enthusiastic support of many potential left-wing voters for his entire party) trying to play the role of a left-leaning, pro-free-market, across-the-aisle centrist.

Furthermore, your rephrasing of Barbara Underwood's double jeopardy statement/the NY AG's general position regarding double jeopardy as it applies to presidential pardons is exactly the type of word-twisting and deciding to not see the nuance that enables the brazen partisanship that we see in politics. She very clearly didn't call the entire concept of double jeopardy a loophole, but was, in a manner consistent with the position of the NY AG office, expressing a desire to eliminate a specific circumstance which has previously been considered to be part of double jeopardy in NY.

Schneiderman wrote, of course "New York’s statutory protections could result in the unintended and unjust consequence of insulating someone pardoned for serious federal crimes from subsequent prosecution for state crimes—even if that person was never tried or convicted in federal court, and never served a single day in federal prison." This isn't an indictment of double jeopardy conceptually, nor did it call the entirety of double jeopardy a loophole, but that there are specific unintended consequences to the current laws that include states losing power to the executive branch of the federal government via the executive pardon.

But of course, the NY AG office is getting rid of all of double jeopardy, according to some pundit you decided to listen to.

Furthermore, tying the concept of double jeopardy to a "liberal" cause is yet another example of the rhetoric you used being exactly the same rhetoric so easily manipulated by politicians in power.

Again, I'm happy to say that I am ideologically significantly left of the Democratic party. Democrats have their fair share of horrific politicians and asinine ideas, but I do have a lot more sympathy toward them than I do the Republican Party. However, I criticize you for being overtly partisan not because I don't see the partisanship of posters like Alio, but because your specific brand of toxic partisanship combined with this seemingly deep rooted desire to appear well-informed and nuanced (I can't wait to see which 'alternative/intellectual' centrist-ish political blogger you cite on a barely related tangent next) is just so deeply hypocritical and discouraging to read.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #3230 on: June 02, 2018, 08:46:00 AM »
It is fascinating that Senator Orrin Hatch, in laying out his many fantastic reasons for the GOP to not consider any Obama nominee, invoked Garland as the type of moderate judge that the Supreme Court needed. Hatch, of course, has previously called Garland a "consensus nominee."

Orrin Hatch liked Garland guys, so the entire GOP should've gone the way of one senator from Utah.

This logic is ridiculous, and I'll be sure to use it whenever a blue dog like Joe Manchin supports something and mainstream democrats cry bullshit.

Furthermore, the idea that Garland was a consensus nominee and should've been rubber stamped given his stated position on the Heller decision and overall interpretation of the 2nd Amendment is laughable. Yeah. A majority republican senate is going to confirm the swing vote to change how this country views individual gun ownership.

I notice you failed to leave that part of the equation likely because it's extremely damaging to your argument.

The problem with the parties in power operating from their position, as you so eloquently put it, is that when their position only exists in opposition to the other political party, they have clear incentives to increase their own influence and power by being antagonistic instead of solving problems. That destructive impulse, while it consolidates their rhetoric power within their base, leads to less faith in politicians from the majority of citizens, which leads to further divisive party politics, which leads to elections won by the most divisive and inflammatory candidates.

Clearly you're operating from the premise that Obama was some unifying force, and wasn't divisive. K.

If parties operating from their position meant a good-faith effort to improve the opportunities given to all citizens, despite contrasting ideas of how those improvements would manifest, there would be no problem. But when parties operating from their position means doing whatever you can to strengthen the echo-chamber of your base and out-rhetoric your opponents, that is a massive problem.
Both Democrats and Republicans do this, of course. But the difference is that Republicans in power tend to play towards their rhetorical base, whereas Obama tripped over himself (and lost the enthusiastic support of many potential left-wing voters for his entire party) trying to play the role of a left-leaning, pro-free-market, across-the-aisle centrist.

Obama is a centrist only to those who want to move the goalposts of what centrism mean. As for the rest of this dreck, the idea that Democrats in power don't play to the worst parts of their base with inflammatory rhetoric is laughable. "NEVERTHELESS SHE PERSISTED!" "STOLEN SEAT" and the entire Russian narrative being prime examples. Nevermind the rigid insistence on playing identity politics which is the leading cause as to why this nation is as fractured as it is socially.

Again, I'm happy to say that I am ideologically significantly left of the Democratic party.
Remember what I said about Obama being a centrist only to those who want to move the goalposts as to what that means?

Furthermore, your rephrasing of Barbara Underwood's double jeopardy statement/the NY AG's general position regarding double jeopardy as it applies to presidential pardons is exactly the type of word-twisting and deciding to not see the nuance that enables the brazen partisanship that we see in politics. She very clearly didn't call the entire concept of double jeopardy a loophole, but was, in a manner consistent with the position of the NY AG office, expressing a desire to eliminate a specific circumstance which has previously been considered to be part of double jeopardy in NY.

Here is her statement: President Trump’s latest pardon makes crystal clear his willingness to use his pardon power to thwart the cause of justice, rather than advance it. By pardoning Dinesh D’Souza, President Trump is undermining the rule of law by pardoning a political supporter who is an unapologetic convicted felon.

First it was Sheriff Joe Arpaio.

Then it was Scooter Libby.

Now it’s Dinesh D’Souza.

We can’t afford to wait to see who will be next. Lawmakers must act now to close New York’s double jeopardy loophole and ensure that anyone who evades federal justice by virtue of a politically expedient pardon can be held accountable if they violate New York law.

Schneiderman wrote, of course "New York’s statutory protections could result in the unintended and unjust consequence of insulating someone pardoned for serious federal crimes from subsequent prosecution for state crimes—even if that person was never tried or convicted in federal court, and never served a single day in federal prison." This isn't an indictment of double jeopardy conceptually, nor did it call the entirety of double jeopardy a loophole, but that there are specific unintended consequences to the current laws that include states losing power to the executive branch of the federal government via the executive pardon.

But of course, the NY AG office is getting rid of all of double jeopardy, according to some pundit you decided to listen to.

No actually, I formulated my opinion after seeing the initial statement, and Schneiderman's statement does nothing to dispel the idea that this is an attack both on the 5th amendment and the Presidents plenary power to pardon. This idea that people who were given a federal pardon should be charged for the same crime in State Court RUNS COMPLETELY COUNTER TO THE CONCEPT OF DOUBLE JEOPARDY. You can mince words all you want, but the idea that you would say it isn't an indictment of double jeopardy when in the latter statement Schneiderman literally states that they're seeking to retry people in State Court for the same crime they were given a federal pardon for as I said, is a direct encroachment on both the concept of double jeopardy, and the Presidents plenary power in this regard. If you want someone else with pardon power, WIN AN ELECTION. To repeat the quote some clown once uttered, "elections have consequences."

Also, bolded for hilarity that someone "left of the democratic party" now wants to make an argument along federalistic principles. Sure though, I'm the one being hypocritical here.

Furthermore, tying the concept of double jeopardy to a "liberal" cause is yet another example of the rhetoric you used being exactly the same rhetoric so easily manipulated by politicians in power.

How is this not a liberal initiative? Or are Eric Schneiderman and his successor bastions of conservatism? When a conservative AG spews something this freaking dumb, let me know, i'll be there to criticize it.

I criticize you for being overtly partisan not because I don't see the partisanship of posters like Alio, but because your specific brand of toxic partisanship combined with this seemingly deep rooted desire to appear well-informed and nuanced (I can't wait to see which 'alternative/intellectual' centrist-ish political blogger you cite on a barely related tangent next) is just so deeply hypocritical and discouraging to read.

Pot, meet kettle. I criticize you for being blatantly hypocritical not because I don't see the same type of rhetoric elsewhere, but because your specific brand of hypocrisy combined with this seemingly deep rooted desire to appear as some sort of objective observer (I can't wait to see you let go the next fifteen posts on this board about how anyone right of John McCain is an idiotic, easily manipulated racist while you bitch that its MY RHETORIC thats toxic and divisive) is just so deeply hypocritical and discouraging to read.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #3231 on: June 06, 2018, 08:37:59 PM »

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #3233 on: June 06, 2018, 09:10:45 PM »
Oh wow those are some long posts
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

ons

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #3234 on: June 08, 2018, 12:54:01 PM »
Furthermore, the idea that Garland was a consensus nominee and should've been rubber stamped given his stated position on the Heller decision and overall interpretation of the 2nd Amendment is laughable. Yeah. A majority republican senate is going to confirm the swing vote to change how this country views individual gun ownership.

I notice you failed to leave that part of the equation likely because it's extremely damaging to your argument.

I don't think Garland would've or should've been rubber stamped - but I think the Senate's decision to not consider any Obama nominee was farcical and harmful to the principles of representative politics. I bring up Sen. Hatch just as an example of the hypocrisy that partisanship drives all of us toward.

Clearly you're operating from the premise that Obama was some unifying force, and wasn't divisive. K.

I'm operating from the premise that Obama attempted to be unifying. He was very clearly unsuccessful. Speaking of which, I've been rereading Chernow's Washington recently, and you see the same dynamics awakening almost immediately upon the inception of this country. The insane amount of effort Washington put into being a unifying builder and consensus seeker, is so sad compared to how easily his nonpartisan position was painfully stripped away from him by the bickering of Jefferson and Hamilton and the ensuing political parties that awakened essentially immediately after the creation of our government. The amount of time our nation's leaders have spent simply trying to convince their electors that they are working for their nation and not a specific political party is pretty pathetic.

Obama is a centrist only to those who want to move the goalposts of what centrism mean. As for the rest of this dreck, the idea that Democrats in power don't play to the worst parts of their base with inflammatory rhetoric is laughable. "NEVERTHELESS SHE PERSISTED!" "STOLEN SEAT" and the entire Russian narrative being prime examples. Nevermind the rigid insistence on playing identity politics which is the leading cause as to why this nation is as fractured as it is socially.

Very fair criticisms of the Democratic Party's current talking points, although as usual lacking in a bit of logical continuity. Are you accusing Obama of ring-leading the Russia narrative as well as the "she-persisted" slogan wielding? Also playing to the worst parts of the Democratic base would look significantly different than those examples you offered. If you're curious, the worst part of the Democratic base is their inclinations to shut down freedom of speech.

Remember what I said about Obama being a centrist only to those who want to move the goalposts as to what that means?

Can you establish what part of Obama's specific political actions delineate his left-wing political orientation? I'll offer a quick and easy source for my general point regarding his centrism:  https://www.politicalcompass.org/uselection2012

This idea that people who were given a federal pardon should be charged for the same crime in State Court RUNS COMPLETELY COUNTER TO THE CONCEPT OF DOUBLE JEOPARDY. You can mince words all you want, but the idea that you would say it isn't an indictment of double jeopardy when in the latter statement Schneiderman literally states that they're seeking to retry people in State Court for the same crime they were given a federal pardon for as I said, is a direct encroachment on both the concept of double jeopardy, and the Presidents plenary power in this regard. If you want someone else with pardon power, WIN AN ELECTION. To repeat the quote some clown once uttered, "elections have consequences."

Also, bolded for hilarity that someone "left of the democratic party" now wants to make an argument along federalistic principles. Sure though, I'm the one being hypocritical here.

Well, I feel successful here - I got you to reframe your complaint from one that deliberately misunderstands someone's argument (eg democrats want to get rid of double jeopardy - liberals are bad and also hypocritical) to one that actually criticizes the underlying ideology of their end goal (eg democrats want to deemphasize the power of the federal government in a way that runs counter to a set of laws I apparently have strong convictions about).

Although of course, there is more than one principle that underlies this country's doctrines regarding double jeopardy - this law would push back at one such principle of the doctrine (the right to not stand trial and face a conviction for the same crime more than once). However, as I am sure you most know, any individual state and the federal government are legally considered to be dual sovereigns, and as such already are able to prosecute individuals for the same crime without violating the doctrine of Double Jeopardy, according to Federal Law and Justice Department guidelines. Individual states have their own nuance when it comes to decisions that are made in federal court and then are pursued in state courts, but the federal court itself has no overt restriction on pursuing prosecution on cases that have already concluded in state courts.

In our country, the double jeopardy doctrine already contains many multitudes, and this particular position does not run counter to the Federal Government's own position regarding dual sovereignty nor would its passage negate all instances of double jeopardy in NY state or this country. Your reaction says more about your knee-jerk reactionary impluse than it does offer a clear and concise view of what you believe double jeopardy and the power of the presidential pardon ought to stand for.

Also, your inability to differentiate my own personal beliefs from my explanation of others' beliefs is a little sad.

How is this not a liberal initiative?

If you take the time to read what I specifically wrote, you will see that I was criticizing you identifying the doctrine of double jeopardy itself as part of a liberal agenda as indicative of the sad state of hyper partisanship. You ought to take a little more time and breathe while thinking through these points.

Pot, meet kettle. I criticize you for being blatantly hypocritical not because I don't see the same type of rhetoric elsewhere, but because your specific brand of hypocrisy combined with this seemingly deep rooted desire to appear as some sort of objective observer (I can't wait to see you let go the next fifteen posts on this board about how anyone right of John McCain is an idiotic, easily manipulated racist while you bitch that its MY RHETORIC thats toxic and divisive) is just so deeply hypocritical and discouraging to read.

Oh man, you are SO CLOSE to being clever here - but the premise doesn't fit the terminology. Criticizing me for not responding adequately/ignoring toxic and divisive Democrat talking points by its very nature can't be "discouraging to read." Also, I'm fairly curious what your perception rhetoric is?

Although I do definitely concede the general point, if I had more mental energy and strength of spirit, I would tackle the talking points of those ideologically more similar to me with the same enthusiasm as I do yours. You'll have to take it for granted that the reason I don't engage in those conversations on this message board is that I am constantly having those conversations off the internet, and they are exhausting and unending.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 12:56:14 PM by ons »

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #3236 on: June 27, 2018, 07:54:58 AM »
NY-14 just told centrists to freak themselves.

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #3237 on: June 27, 2018, 08:27:36 AM »
NY-14 just told centrists to freak themselves.

?

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #3238 on: June 27, 2018, 09:03:53 AM »
?
Democratic Socialist Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez unseated incumbent Dem. Joe Crowley in the Dem primary. The district is heavy blue so she's basically a lock for Congress in November.

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022
« Reply #3239 on: June 27, 2018, 09:20:55 AM »
?
She upset a 10-term incumbent who was supposedly poised to eventually replace Nancy Pelosi
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 09:22:40 AM by delavan »

Tags: