Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 646194 times)

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #180 on: January 13, 2014, 08:43:08 AM »
The thing is, it's never just one thing. Everyone's putting the boot in now, it seems:

http://thinkprogress.org/home/2014/01/13/3152271/6-need-know-federal-investigation-chris-christies-sandy-relief-funds/

It's an audit. I doubt Christie was dumb enough to use those funds for his own campaign. Some commercials about redeveloping the region included him in it, but it's unfair to call them campaign videos. Doesn't look like much.
"Wrong!"

ons

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #181 on: January 13, 2014, 08:57:19 AM »
Well it was some flunky that did it, they have the emails to prove it. So in a few weeks he will apologize, some of his life long friends will be fired, routine stuff, yawn. Oh wait didn't that already happen?

Again, I don't think the story is big enough to stick a year from now, not to mention the actual election.

There are probably going to be a lot of stories like this - he's a brash public figure, people on both sides of the aisle are looking for ways to tear him down, and he's probably been more careless of a politician than the average presidential candidate. But he has the charisma to drown out this kind of noise, I think. If he wins the nomination, I think the national election will come down to whether people think he's a serious populist reformer or just your standard blowhard politician.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #182 on: January 13, 2014, 09:05:36 AM »
I understand why the left want to bring him down - they want the GOP to keep putting up far right loonies so that moderates will stay clear - but I think that a centrist, or at least someone willing and able to cross the aisle, is what the country badly wants and needs. I get why vocal factions of Christie's own party want rid of him, but I think that the Democratic-leaning media outlets are no better than their opposite numbers if they're going to try and tear down the first genuine candidate since McCain who appears capable and willing to be the bridge between the two parties that they have been asking for.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
« Reply #183 on: January 13, 2014, 09:07:39 AM »
LOL 32% conservative, 68% liberal

This thing is stupid.

LOL at me getting 76% conservative.  Either Tommy and I are hiding our true identities or that quiz is completely busted.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #184 on: January 13, 2014, 09:14:40 AM »
I understand why the left want to bring him down - they want the GOP to keep putting up far right loonies so that moderates will stay clear - but I think that a centrist, or at least someone willing and able to cross the aisle, is what the country badly wants and needs. I get why vocal factions of Christie's own party want rid of him, but I think that the Democratic-leaning media outlets are no better than their opposite numbers if they're going to try and tear down the first genuine candidate since McCain who appears capable and willing to be the bridge between the two parties that they have been asking for.

This is pretty spot on. Depressingly so.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #185 on: January 13, 2014, 09:21:24 AM »
It's an audit. I doubt Christie was dumb enough to use those funds for his own campaign. Some commercials about redeveloping the region included him in it, but it's unfair to call them campaign videos. Doesn't look like much.

I don't see the issue with the prominent governor of the state appearing in a video assuring people that the shore is open for tourism.  If exclusively state funds were used and it's just suspicious timing, it'll blow over easily.  If he dipped into the federal relief, it's going to sting him.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #186 on: January 13, 2014, 09:35:33 AM »

It's absolutely sickening, but it's the world we live in.
"Wrong!"

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
« Reply #187 on: January 13, 2014, 09:49:47 AM »

Both Christie and Clinton have enough skeletons in their closets.  Obviously Clinton supporters, including members of the media, will want to tear down Christie, because they are afraid of him.  He's the only person that would have a chance against her at this point.  The right wing has a big head start on the Clinton bashing, and have no problem making excrement up to do so.  The latter point could end up biting them in the derriere.  There is no reason to fabricate or embellish with Clinton.  There is enough true stuff out there already to criticize.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #188 on: January 13, 2014, 09:51:37 AM »
The thought of Bubba returning to the White House as "First Lady" is pretty hilarious though.
"Wrong!"

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #189 on: January 13, 2014, 10:09:38 AM »
The thought of Bubba returning to the White House as "First Lady" is pretty hilarious though.

Can you imagine the broads he would get this time around? He can really concentrate on getting derriere as he won't be running the country this time around. That Lincoln bedroom would be a veritable bounce house.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
« Reply #190 on: January 13, 2014, 10:33:43 AM »
Can you imagine the broads he would get this time around? He can really concentrate on getting derriere as he won't be running the country this time around. That Lincoln bedroom would be a veritable bounce house.

Yeah, no black lights allowed in there.  It's going to look like a CSI crime scene.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #191 on: January 13, 2014, 10:38:32 AM »
Yeah, no black lights allowed in there.  It's going to look like a CSI crime scene.

Everyone knows they have an open arrangement. He can have one of those ticket machines like at a deli counter. His standard wardrobe will be one of those robes like Hugh Hefner.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

ons

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #192 on: January 13, 2014, 12:27:30 PM »

There are rumblings that discontented NJ democratic politicians are going to be aggressive about this, accusing Christie of running less of a 'centrist' government but more of a 'bully democrats' government. And that subpoenas for numerous staff members will be issued. I still don't think it's going anywhere, but there's a huge target on his back to take him down before he ever reaches a national election. People who don't fall in lock step with their party are really just crucified.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #193 on: February 11, 2014, 09:53:51 AM »
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
« Reply #194 on: February 11, 2014, 10:03:38 AM »