Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 646136 times)

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #3090 on: January 20, 2018, 08:30:20 AM »
Was kind of expecting a midnight deal to be struck to avoid a shutdown but that's not gonna happen at this point.

Thankfully I'm essential personnel so I won't be furloughed, but if this drags on I won't get paid until it's over.
Hopefully they will get this excrement figured out over the weekend. If you get furloughed we expect hourly fanspeak mocks.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 08:32:27 AM by bojanglesman »

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
« Reply #3091 on: January 20, 2018, 02:14:31 PM »
Nobody wants a shutdown, other than Trump.  It will keep the news cycle off the investigations for a bit.

Glad the dems showed some balls for once.  I was sure they would fold at the last minute.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #3092 on: January 22, 2018, 11:43:34 AM »
Nobody wants a shutdown, other than Trump.  It will keep the news cycle off the investigations for a bit.

Glad the dems showed some balls for once.  I was sure they would fold at the last minute.

*showed some balls for 3 days
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #3093 on: January 22, 2018, 11:46:49 AM »
Looks like the gubment will be back open today.  At least for a few weeks.

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
« Reply #3094 on: January 22, 2018, 12:32:41 PM »
*showed some balls for 3 days
Good enough for me.  They made their point, and now Turtle and Ryan have the spotlight on them.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #3095 on: January 22, 2018, 09:24:59 PM »
Dems got nothing and any point they tried to make will not reach the people it needs to reach.

CHIP got funded though, which is good, but that should have been resolved ages ago. By sitting on it this long the GOP was able to use it for leverage to make the Dems look like the bad guys and create a false dilemma between CHIP and DACA.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 09:27:52 PM by Badger »

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
« Reply #3096 on: January 23, 2018, 03:38:54 AM »
Dems got nothing and any point they tried to make will not reach the people it needs to reach.

CHIP got funded though, which is good, but that should have been resolved ages ago. By sitting on it this long the GOP was able to use it for leverage to make the Dems look like the bad guys and create a false dilemma between CHIP and DACA.
Chip got done, and they shortened the window for the next shutdown by a week.  Schumer got 3 dem senators running for reelection to get Turtle to say I Object to funding the military, and extending funding government.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #3097 on: January 23, 2018, 12:34:06 PM »
Fen, there's no way to frame this where the Dems don't look weak. Sorry, but they screwed up again, and frankly I'm sick of it.

The GOP may attack their own constituents, and the Democrats may generally have their electorate's best interests at heart. But the GOP are far better politicians, and it's not even close. And politics win elections. The supposed bloodbath coming in November isn't going to happen. It's going to be the Trump election all over again.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
« Reply #3098 on: January 23, 2018, 01:16:23 PM »
Fen, there's no way to frame this where the Dems don't look weak. Sorry, but they screwed up again, and frankly I'm sick of it.

The GOP may attack their own constituents, and the Democrats may generally have their electorate's best interests at heart. But the GOP are far better politicians, and it's not even close. And politics win elections. The supposed bloodbath coming in November isn't going to happen. It's going to be the Trump election all over again.
You really need to read up on what Schumer did after the Friday vote.  I obviously didn't do it justice.

He got Trump and Pence to lie, or just show they are ignorant idiots, when talking about military paychecks.  That was on Turtle.  I Object.

He got all of them to lie, or just show they are ignorant idiots, by putting 1 and 3 day extensions in play.  Quoth the Turtle, I Object.

They are shutting down the government on 2/8 if a vote on DACA doesn't happen.  Initially the CR was supposed to run through 2/15.

And CHIP is no longer in play as a hostage.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #3099 on: January 23, 2018, 01:56:47 PM »
Come on the Dems look like the biggest bunch of pussies I have ever seen. They stand for nothing and cave for anything. Who the freak would want those weak douchebags in charge of anything?

It's too bad the Republicans are slimey pieces of excrement to a man/woman or we would have a 1 party country.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #3100 on: January 23, 2018, 02:26:52 PM »
You really need to read up on what Schumer did after the Friday vote.  I obviously didn't do it justice.

He got Trump and Pence to lie, or just show they are ignorant idiots, when talking about military paychecks.  That was on Turtle.  I Object.

He got all of them to lie, or just show they are ignorant idiots, by putting 1 and 3 day extensions in play.  Quoth the Turtle, I Object.

They are shutting down the government on 2/8 if a vote on DACA doesn't happen.  Initially the CR was supposed to run through 2/15.

And CHIP is no longer in play as a hostage.

McConnell agreed to "consider" listening on DACA "at some future date." Tough negotiation the Dems did there.

If you think the GOP can't dance around bald-faced lying directly to the American people's faces and obvious incompetence you haven't been paying attention the past 14 months.

Come on the Dems look like the biggest bunch of pussies I have ever seen. They stand for nothing and cave for anything. Who the freak would want those weak douchebags in charge of anything?

It's too bad the Republicans are slimey pieces of excrement to a man/woman or we would have a 1 party country.

And this is basically what I'm talking about.

They don't "stand for nothing." Quite the opposite. The problem is, as you're saying, they are spineless and weak, so their message is lost in the face of loud-mouths on the right who operate under the guise of "straight shooters" with the ignorant masses.

The uneducated are easily influenced by the "toughest" people--or at least those they perceive as the toughest. The GOP figured that out a long time ago, and use it very effectively. Meanwhile, Chuck Shumer looks like the Cryptkeeper on the night "Tales from the Crypt" was canceled.

As I said, the GOP are far better politicians than the Democrats, and it's not even a close race.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #3101 on: January 23, 2018, 05:09:13 PM »

If you think the GOP can't dance around bald-faced lying directly to the American people's faces and obvious incompetence you haven't been paying attention the past 14 months.

This.

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
« Reply #3102 on: January 23, 2018, 06:04:09 PM »

This.
The difference is they forced Turtle, on the congressional record, to object to emergency clean votes on military paychecks, 1 and 3 day stays on the shutdown, as well commit to working on immigration, albeit weakly.

There was nothing to gain other than bad optics if the dems continued the shutdown.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #3103 on: January 24, 2018, 01:44:48 PM »
The difference is they forced Turtle, on the congressional record, to object to emergency clean votes on military paychecks, 1 and 3 day stays on the shutdown, as well commit to working on immigration, albeit weakly.

There was nothing to gain other than bad optics if the dems continued the shutdown.

You mean other than actually forcing the GOP to address legislation regarding DACA? Or maybe a Net Neutrality compromise? Or legislation for the opioid crisis? Or addressing Gillebrand's women's legislation? Or really, any issue that is actually a concern to liberals? Or not looking completely spineless?

The attitude you're showing is exactly how Donald Trump won the presidency. Liberals sat around thinking "the obstructionist party" had done irreparable damage to itself and was vulnerable. Instead, Trump got up on his tree stump, spilled a bunch of verbal diarrhea that basically amounted to "the brown people took your jobs and now they're coming for your lives" and stole the election. And now Senate Republicans are claiming victory over a Democratic attempt at a government shutdown--that Trump was mostly responsible for.

I'm pretty freaking liberal, but I spent months saying not "Donald Trump might win the election" but rather "Donald Trump is going to win the election." Liberals can't seem to grasp that conservatives will literally vote for a child molester over any candidate that leans even a little bit left.

If the Democratic leadership had even an ounce of sense, they'd have continued the shutdown with cries of "The GOP is willing to let the children of men and women deployed to the most dangerous areas on the planet to starve. All because they want to deport children who were born here through no fault of their own." But the Dems have no concept of spin.

I used to like Chuck Shumer. He's a spineless weasel.

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
« Reply #3104 on: January 24, 2018, 04:32:21 PM »
I understand where you are coming from, but the problem is Trump, not Schumer.  They had bipartisan deals twice that included CHIP, DACA and funding for the wall.  Both were approved by Trump until he folded to the extreme right.

The shutdown happened because 4 republicans voted no.  Schumer got what he could out of it.  The biggest problem is the democrats were lazy with their messaging.  They let Trump, Pence and Turtle get away with bold faced lies.

Tags: