Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 645080 times)

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #2910 on: November 22, 2017, 07:44:49 AM »
I found this on a brief google search where Pai explains his side of the decision.  BTW he looks like Bababooey.

http://reason.com/blog/2017/11/21/ajit-pai-net-neutrality-podcast

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #2911 on: November 22, 2017, 08:04:42 AM »
I am so sick of this need for the current administration to repeal every single Obama initiative. I am sorry but a few of the things he has done were good for people, like NN. I couldn't stand the last 3-4 Presidents but let me say this, they're Abe Lincoln compared to the total failure this administration has turned out to be. They have literally done nothing this year but screw with people and make this Country and World a worse place to live.

I seriously hope they all die. Also, anyone that thinks Trump is even halfway competent is an abject moron and nobody I want to share air with.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 09:03:46 AM by Miamipuck »
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #2912 on: November 22, 2017, 08:18:30 AM »
I am so sick of this need for the current administration to repeal every single Obama initiative. I am sorry but a few of the things he has done were good for people, like NN. I couldn't stand the last 3-4 Presidents but let me say this, they're Abe Lincoln compared to the total failure this administration has turned out to be. They have literally done nothing this year but screw with people and make this Country and World a worst place to live.

I seriously hope they all die. Also, anyone that thinks Trump is even halfway competent is an abject moron and nobody I want to share air with.

Trump Rulez, MAGA, yeah but how’s the the market doing, etc.
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #2913 on: November 22, 2017, 08:28:02 AM »
Trump Rulez, MAGA, yeah but how’s the the market doing, etc.

Puck is just a poor man's white Don King without the hair.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #2914 on: November 22, 2017, 08:35:30 AM »
I did see one interesting, if slightly scary, suggestion as to why the NN repeal might turn out to be OK in the end, which is that while it's purely legislation it remains open to repeal and challenge at any time depending on who in the administration is being paid what by Verizon, whereas if this goes through concept of access to equal speeds could be challenged in the Supreme Court and if (big if) SCOTUS agrees that NN is right, it will become a Constitutional right that takes it permanently off the table for legislators.

I'm not a lawyer so I don't know how accurate that is, and even if it's right the fear would be that a loss at SCOTUS would have the opposite effect.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #2915 on: November 22, 2017, 09:49:25 AM »
Who exactly is for net nuetrality besides these giant corporations and politicians that will profit from it?
Do you mean against?

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #2916 on: November 22, 2017, 10:04:47 AM »
I'm sure the majority of people don't know or care to know what net neutrality even is.  The rest of the people think getting rid of it is a bad idea or are directly related to the decision making process (lobbyists, lawmakers).

Just to be the devil's advocate, could there be any positives that come from getting rid of it?  Obviously there would be plenty of negatives but ignore those for a minute.  Admittedly I'm no expert on the topic, but could it spur along faster developments in technology/infrastructure?

Why would it?

The reason that the Verizons, AT&Ts, and Comcasts want to put an end to Net Neutrality is because they don't want to be "dumb pipes", meaning, they just deliver other organizations' content. They want to serve their own. Over their own pipes.

When you're trying to watch Stranger Things, or Game of Thrones, and Verizon is your provider, do you think they're going to allow that traffic to move as fast as a "Redbox Reborn" service?

Verizon wireless has been throttling data speeds--especially for users on Netflix and YouTube--on their unlimited plans ever since Pai announced he would be overturning NN if he was approved for the position. They didn't even wait for the law to change--or even for him to get through confirmation.

Who exactly is for net nuetrality besides these giant corporations and politicians that will profit from it?

I assume you meant "against" and I haven't seen anyone outside of the corporations and this administration say they're against it.

Ajit Pai is a freaking queynte, with the most punchable face this side of Ted Cruz.

I did see one interesting, if slightly scary, suggestion as to why the NN repeal might turn out to be OK in the end, which is that while it's purely legislation it remains open to repeal and challenge at any time depending on who in the administration is being paid what by Verizon, whereas if this goes through concept of access to equal speeds could be challenged in the Supreme Court and if (big if) SCOTUS agrees that NN is right, it will become a Constitutional right that takes it permanently off the table for legislators.

I'm not a lawyer so I don't know how accurate that is, and even if it's right the fear would be that a loss at SCOTUS would have the opposite effect.

If the SC were to vote on it, yeah, their ruling would stand fairly permanently. But that's a whole different problem. What if does go to the Supreme Court? It would first have to meander through the lower courts. By the time it got there, Trump may have replaced another justice and tipped the balance.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #2917 on: November 22, 2017, 10:55:27 AM »
Do you mean against?

Yes. I edited that post twice

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #2918 on: November 22, 2017, 04:21:53 PM »
Taking a brief break from net neutrality talk to point out Iowa Rep Steve King is retweeting white supremacists.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #2919 on: November 23, 2017, 12:43:43 PM »
Keep voting Republicans into office if you just can't get enough of that feeling of having someone pee down your back and tell you that it's raining.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/3/29/15100620/congress-fcc-isp-web-browsing-privacy-fire-sale

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #2920 on: November 23, 2017, 01:04:31 PM »
For the life of me I can't figure out why anyone would be against net neutrality . What's the Fuckn rationale?
"Wrong!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #2921 on: November 23, 2017, 01:07:40 PM »
For the life of me I can't figure out why anyone would be against net neutrality . What's the Fuckn rationale?

You have a Republican controlled government that is in the pocket of big corporate lobbies. There doesn't need to be a rationale; big money put them there and it's time to pay the piper.

The people who control the national dialog are the people who stand to benefit. You just go along and vote like Rupert tells you to like a good little drone.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #2922 on: November 23, 2017, 02:07:30 PM »
Freedom! Liberty! Small government! Except when Verizon's paying, obviously.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-rosenworcel-fcc-net-neutrality-repeal-20171122-story.html

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #2923 on: November 23, 2017, 03:53:14 PM »
Keep voting Republicans into office if you just can't get enough of that feeling of having someone pee down your back and tell you that it's raining.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/3/29/15100620/congress-fcc-isp-web-browsing-privacy-fire-sale

Name one person here in a red state.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #2924 on: November 23, 2017, 04:42:41 PM »
Name one person here in a red state.

It wasn't actually aimed at anyone specifically on here, although people who vote Republican despite their vote "not mattering" are every bit as culpable for the decisions made by the government they voted for as those in blue states.

Tags: