Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 644615 times)

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #2505 on: June 25, 2017, 12:13:17 PM »
Newsflash - American Expats enjoy living in developing countries:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/24/americas/mexico-american-expats/index.html

Why are white people who leave America or the UK for a better standard of living called "expats" while brown people who move to America or the UK for a better standard of living called "immigrants"?
A cross-dressing limey poofter

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2506 on: June 25, 2017, 02:11:40 PM »
Why are white people who leave America or the UK for a better standard of living called "expats" while brown people who move to America or the UK for a better standard of living called "immigrants"?

I don't know if you can call leaving the United States for Mexico a better standard of living.

But immigrants and expats have different definitions, although it is true race and socioeconomic status plays a role in their usage

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #2507 on: June 25, 2017, 02:17:58 PM »
I don't know if you can call leaving the United States for Mexico a better standard of living.

Did you read the article?

But immigrants and expats have different definitions, although it is true race and socioeconomic status plays a role in their usage

Do they? Explain the difference please.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2508 on: June 25, 2017, 02:23:33 PM »
Did you read the article?

Do they? Explain the difference please.

They do

According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, expatriate means someone “living in a foreign land,” while the definition of immigrant is “a person who comes to a country to take up permanent residence.”

And everything in the article was anecdotal. I have no idea whether it is or isn't nice in thst city, but the article doesn't shed any light on that either
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 02:25:58 PM by dcm1602 »

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #2509 on: June 25, 2017, 02:33:04 PM »
They do

According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, expatriate means someone “living in a foreign land,” while the definition of immigrant is “a person who comes to a country to take up permanent residence.”

I think you're being a little selective with your use of M-W. Also, I've used emigrate rather than immigrate to ensure that we're looking at like for like:

Definition of expatriate

expatriated; expatriating
transitive verb
:  banish, exile
:  to withdraw (oneself) from residence in or allegiance to one's native country
intransitive verb
:  to leave one's native country to live elsewhere; also :  to renounce allegiance to one's native country

Definition of emigrate

emigrated; emigrating
intransitive verb
:  to leave one's place of residence or country to live elsewhere

So they're essentially the exact same word, which begs the question as to why would I, a white skinned English guy living in Canada, be considered an expat, while my doctor, a brown skinned Pakistani who has been here three times as long as I have, be considered an immigrant? If anything, expat should be the pejorative - after all, that suggests that I'm still affiliated with my country of birth, merely here to take advantage of the temporary home country, whereas an immigrant is fully committing to their new home.

sg3

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #2510 on: June 25, 2017, 03:42:35 PM »
This is why politics is so fucked, BOTH sides are full of this ridiculous hate for each other which is why nothing ever gets done

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/caught-on-tape-dem-official-says-hes-glad-scalise-got-shot/ar-BBD5kFE

Some douchebag democrat official gets caught on tape saying hes glad that Republican guy got shot at the baseball game, and wishes he was dead
With all the respect you deserve...

Some schmuck Republican official who was fired for advocating the murder of Secretary Clinton in 2016 was invited to the WH and honored by the Orange Hitler

A little bit worse IMO than attacking Johnny Depp or Kathy Griffin or Shakespeare

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2511 on: June 25, 2017, 09:05:02 PM »
With all the respect you deserve...

Some schmuck Republican official who was fired for advocating the murder of Secretary Clinton in 2016 was invited to the WH and honored by the Orange Hitler

A little bit worse IMO than attacking Johnny Depp or Kathy Griffin or Shakespeare

Im sure even somebody as stupid as you can realize that its wrong for a politician to say hes glad that another politician got shot and wishes he was dead less than a day after someone actually attempted to murder him and almost did.

sg3

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #2512 on: June 26, 2017, 03:20:25 AM »
No dimwit

Not worse than your halfwit fake "President" honoring that piece of crap from NH in a ceremony inside the White House.

ukilledkenny

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #2513 on: June 26, 2017, 05:15:41 AM »

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #2514 on: June 26, 2017, 01:20:04 PM »

I don't understand why you make everything about race. If you move to a developed country from an underdeveloped country for purely economic reasons, with no real intention of moving back, then you're an immigrant. If you move to a country for cultural or job-transfer, etc, then you're an expat.

There are plenty of Japanese expats in NYC who move here to study, job transfers, getting a career in certain fields that aren't as readily accessible back home. I don't consider them immigrants.

Also, all those Polish immigrants who move to the UK to drive taxis or bus tables aren't expats. The white Eastern Europeans who move to Toronto for a better life aren't "expats". The white Frenchman who moves to the U.K because he'd rather work for a UK company is an expat.

Personal example: My parents moving to the U.S in 1978: immigrants; Me moving to HK in 2014: expat.

Everything is black/white for you. That's an immature way of viewing the world, and you of all people should know better.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 01:22:17 PM by Tommyanne »
"Wrong!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #2515 on: June 26, 2017, 01:40:28 PM »
The people in the article you linked showed absolutely no intention of returning, and economics were certainly part of the moving process (note the comments about affordability of healthcare etc). Why are they expats and not immigrants?

Let me put it to you another way: you say that 'the white Eastern Europeans who move to Toronto for a better life aren't "expats"', but as a white Western European who moved to Toronto for a better life why am I referred to as one when they aren't? (I don't think I've ever been referred to as an "immigrant".)

We can take the concept of skin colour out of it if you like for the purposes of this dicussion, although I think it's an inextricable component, and ask why natives of different countries receive different labels for doing and being the exact same thing as each other. I appreciate your attempt to create a distinction, but it doesn't exist in definition and it doesn't exist in the middle ground of reality.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #2516 on: June 26, 2017, 09:43:09 PM »
The people in the article you linked showed absolutely no intention of returning, and economics were certainly part of the moving process (note the comments about affordability of healthcare etc). Why are they expats and not immigrants?

Let me put it to you another way: you say that 'the white Eastern Europeans who move to Toronto for a better life aren't "expats"', but as a white Western European who moved to Toronto for a better life why am I referred to as one when they aren't? (I don't think I've ever been referred to as an "immigrant".)

We can take the concept of skin colour out of it if you like for the purposes of this dicussion, although I think it's an inextricable component, and ask why natives of different countries receive different labels for doing and being the exact same thing as each other. I appreciate your attempt to create a distinction, but it doesn't exist in definition and it doesn't exist in the middle ground of reality.

You're not getting my point. Expats don't typically have to jump through hoops to get to the country they want to live in, for whatever reason. I had the option of continuing to work in Hong Kong as a salesman, but I chose not to and came back home. Had I decided to stay, I would've been making about the same as I do know, but enjoying certain fringe benefits that expats enjoy. It wouldn't have been out of necessity, nor would I have benefited much in comparison to being here. It would have been a choice because, again for whatever reason, either a better opportunity came about that I wanted to take a chance on, or I just felt like living there.

You're an expat in Canada because there's no reason why you can't get equal pay at a similar company in England. Americans, Western Europeans, or Japanese with MBAs or advanced degrees don't move to a similarly developed country just to drive a taxi. But you have former physicists in Eastern Europe who drive cabs in London, New York, or Toronto. Same with the brown people you mentioned. I was in a cab the other day and the guy driving me was a doctor in India. Said he could make way more for him and his family driving a cab in the US than being a doctor in Hyderabad.

There's a huge difference. I see it, but you don't. You want to make it about race, because that's your shtick. Those Americans in the article didn't move to Mexico because America can't provide the opportunities that Mexico can. They made a choice. Poor people from lesser developed nations who are ambitious and want more (more than what they can get in their home country) are the ones who emigrate out. A UK college graduate who decides to teach English in Botswana because he wants something different, and because he has the luxury to do so, isn't an immigrant. The guy from Botswana who even with an advanced degree, can't feed his family, has a reason to go to the UK and drive a cab. He's the immigrant.

I don't get why you're making a mountain out of a anthill here.
"Wrong!"

ons

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #2517 on: June 26, 2017, 10:30:42 PM »
Today I learned I'm a second generation ex-pat instead of a second generation immigrant. Nice.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #2518 on: June 27, 2017, 12:29:14 AM »
Today I learned I'm a second generation ex-pat instead of a second generation immigrant. Nice.

Jesus fuckn Christ. Fine, all white people who move to another country are expats and all brown, yellow, black people are immigrants.

Congratulations. You just found another stupid fuckn thing to complain about.
"Wrong!"

ons

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #2519 on: June 27, 2017, 12:42:55 AM »
Congratulations. You just found another stupid fuckn thing to complain about.

Wait, what am I complaining about?

edit: I don't think I posted what you think I posted - tbh I don't see a "huge difference" between immigrants and expats, but I really don't give a excrement what you decide to call any of them.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 12:54:35 AM by ons »

Tags: