Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 646041 times)

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #2040 on: April 09, 2017, 01:14:04 PM »
Contradicting yourself in the same post, nice.

There's none to qualify.

But there is to maintain it for future semesters.

Two separate things. And I'd hardly call a 2.0 standards

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #2041 on: April 10, 2017, 09:18:11 PM »
There's none to qualify.

But there is to maintain it for future semesters.

Two separate things. And I'd hardly call a 2.0 standards

They have to get into the school first.

And you can bet competition is going to increase at SUNY and CUNY now.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 09:20:53 PM by Badger »

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2042 on: April 10, 2017, 09:42:54 PM »
They have to get into the school first.

And you can bet competition is going to increase at SUNY and CUNY now.

I'd also bet they try to expand their capacity and standards drop to take advantage of the situation

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #2043 on: April 10, 2017, 10:20:13 PM »
I'd also bet they try to expand their capacity and standards drop to take advantage of the situation

So more people will earn degrees without incurring crippling debt? They should make you the spokesman for this.

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
« Reply #2044 on: April 11, 2017, 12:16:39 AM »
I just can't anymore.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

sg3

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #2045 on: April 11, 2017, 04:41:01 AM »
That's why I'll be joining every other sane person and getting the freak out of New York. Shits just not affordable
Excellent idea.  In fact leave YESTERDAY!

A terrific first step in Making NY Great again!

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #2046 on: April 11, 2017, 05:17:02 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/04/11/world/middleeast/document-Syria-Chemical-Weapons-Report-White-House.html

Intelligence refutes claims that the chemical attack wasn't initiated by Assad, point-by-point.  I read it, and it does look awful obvious it was Assad and the Russians are covering up everything they do.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #2047 on: April 11, 2017, 06:11:41 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/04/11/world/middleeast/document-Syria-Chemical-Weapons-Report-White-House.html

Intelligence refutes claims that the chemical attack wasn't initiated by Assad, point-by-point.  I read it, and it does look awful obvious it was Assad and the Russians are covering up everything they do.

Have we gotten to the point where people will just assume Russia is responsible for everything?
"Wrong!"

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #2048 on: April 11, 2017, 06:17:19 PM »
Have we gotten to the point where people will just assume Russia is responsible for everything?

dcm is moving to Russia so he doesn't have to pay taxes that will go to NY college students.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #2049 on: April 11, 2017, 06:23:08 PM »
dcm is moving to Russia so he doesn't have to pay taxes that will go to NY college students.

From a business and economic standpoint I'm not sure how free tuition for state and city colleges will work. Either schools will get overcrowded and the student to teacher ratio rises significantly, or they increase admission standards. But if they do that, they will have to justify it by providing top professors and facilities. Those don't come cheap. Should just give out more academic based grants.
"Wrong!"

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2050 on: April 11, 2017, 06:25:05 PM »
From a business and economic standpoint I'm not sure how free tuition for state and city colleges will work. Either schools will get overcrowded and the student to teacher ratio rises significantly, or they increase admission standards. But if they do that, they will have to justify it by providing top professors and facilities. Those don't come cheap. Should just give out more academic based grants.

It's New York, they'll just raise taxes and not give a excrement. There's a reason why we have the highest tax burden in the country
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 06:28:39 PM by dcm1602 »

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #2051 on: April 11, 2017, 06:31:51 PM »

Why do people think giving a tuition break to people under a certain income will mean everyone gets into the school now?

Admission standards increase by default by the new applicant pool being larger. The school doesn't have to raise them. They'll have better students to pick from.

ukilledkenny

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #2052 on: April 11, 2017, 06:40:55 PM »
It already wasn't that easy to get into a suny. Hell, last time I checked orange county community college even had high school gpa and course pre requisites to get into any decent associates degree program.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #2053 on: April 11, 2017, 06:43:41 PM »
Why do people think giving a tuition break to people under a certain income will mean everyone gets into the school now?

Admission standards increase by default by the new applicant pool being larger. The school doesn't have to raise them. They'll have better students to pick from.

Yeah but you're just artificially making it tougher to get into. It won't be because the programs, facilities, or professors will be better.
"Wrong!"

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2054 on: April 11, 2017, 06:48:38 PM »
Yeah but you're just artificially making it tougher to get into. It won't be because the programs, facilities, or professors will be better.

I don't think this matters. So what?

The bigger issue will be that this is a massive entitlement for the highest tax state in the country which has already become difficult for many people to afford.

And college graduates already can't get jobs, so I'm not sure how this is going to generate a return on investment (it won't)

Hopefully there's at least some sort of stipulation forcing the schools to enlist a certain percentage of students who will have useful degrees and actually contribute to society

The other potential issue, is this will make state schools exponentially make difficult to get in. So won't this program make it more difficult for the underprivileged to get into, thus forcing them to go to private schools or out of state screwing them? Because presumably since they're underprivileged they'll lack the resources to be as competitive as others (or so the left tells us), making it all the harder. Not sure how that will play out
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 06:52:43 PM by dcm1602 »

Tags: