Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 644911 times)

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #1800 on: March 22, 2017, 12:04:59 AM »
Can we get him at the tailgate?
Comey is a queynte, but Pats hate is always appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #1801 on: March 22, 2017, 09:08:56 AM »
I agree with smaller government, just not randomly smaller just for the sake of it.  There is certainly an efficiency problem in DC.

I believe in some semblance of a flat tax, would rather close tax loopholes than do the progressive tax/deductions song and dance, and would shut down the IRS for good.

I don't think anyone wants a "randomly smaller government". When people want smaller government, they want less taxes, less regulations, and less federal say over what people/states can do. And we all know how incredibly inefficient the government is and most of its institutions. Having sold to government institutions, they simply do.not.care.about.price. It's insane. Hardly any negotiations. All they have to do is have at least a few firms compete, and they usually choose the cheapest, but if you want someone to pay list price: sell to any government agency. excrement, I had the CIA as a client and they paid us $4 million for a product that most other firms paid like $50k. Having a budget director who actually wants to cut costs is not a bad thing.

I would cut military spending in half.

What does this mean? Reduce our standing army? Our navy? Military research? I'm all for closing our overseas bases, especially in Germany, Italy, and Japan, but ensuring we have a turn-key military that can achieve air and sea dominance in any potential conflict is important to our national security and interests. A large military isn't just a defense mechanism, but also an incredibly useful negotiation tool. Besides, military spending (even with Trump's proposed increase) will be a little under than $600 billion, which is less than 15% of our total budget. (Our outlays this year is about $3.7 trillion).

I would make medicaid a right for every person.  If insurance companies want to compete for customers after that, have at it.

Medicare and Medicaid is already accessible to the vast majority of the population, especially those in lower income classes. We also spend more than $1 trillion of our budget on this. It's incredibly inefficient. Canada and the UK spend a fraction of that per citizen and have a single-payer option. We need to reform our entire healthcare system, not expand it.

A free community college option should be available.

Community colleges are paid for by the state, not federal government. If you want to pay more in Nevada state taxes so that kids can go to community college for free, go right ahead and petition your governor for it. Also, states suck at budgeting for schools. So does the government. In NYC they had Open Admissions for CUNY until the 90s, which meant anyone regardless of grades can get into any of the 4-year schools. That reduced the value of the education, and just filled the schools up with kids who didn't even want to be there. CUNY was much better off once they got rid of that, and though they did raise costs, it's still very affordable even if you're working at $9/hour, like I was when I paid my way at Queens College.

2 years of public service, be it military or something else, gets you a free university ride.

The U.S military already provides tuition assistance to active members. Not a loan, but they actually pay your tuition. Also, if you're in the military, you can save enough to pay for any community college or state school once discharged.

K-12, or maybe even 14, should be handled at the state level.  Running education from DC just isn't working.

I agree, and it's mostly run by the municipalities anyway, which is why counties with higher tax rates have better public schools. And also why public schools in rich neighborhoods get more money.

No state should get more money back from DC than it contributes in federal taxes.

No argument here.

The federal budget should be balanced every year.

Well I feel the same way, but you sure do seem to want the government to spend MORE money on the things you think will help people, and think that by cutting military spending we can balance the budget. False. Besides, the national debt really isn't that big of a deal as most make it out to be. U.S debt provides a safe investment vehicle for everyone, because, let's face it, if we go down everyone does.

"Wrong!"

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
« Reply #1802 on: March 22, 2017, 09:31:47 AM »
I don't think anyone wants a "randomly smaller government". When people want smaller government, they want less taxes, less regulations, and less federal say over what people/states can do. And we all know how incredibly inefficient the government is and most of its institutions. Having sold to government institutions, they simply do.not.care.about.price. It's insane. Hardly any negotiations. All they have to do is have at least a few firms compete, and they usually choose the cheapest, but if you want someone to pay list price: sell to any government agency. excrement, I had the CIA as a client and they paid us $4 million for a product that most other firms paid like $50k. Having a budget director who actually wants to cut costs is not a bad thing.

What does this mean? Reduce our standing army? Our navy? Military research? I'm all for closing our overseas bases, especially in Germany, Italy, and Japan, but ensuring we have a turn-key military that can achieve air and sea dominance in any potential conflict is important to our national security and interests. A large military isn't just a defense mechanism, but also an incredibly useful negotiation tool. Besides, military spending (even with Trump's proposed increase) will be a little under than $600 billion, which is less than 15% of our total budget. (Our outlays this year is about $3.7 trillion).

Medicare and Medicaid is already accessible to the vast majority of the population, especially those in lower income classes. We also spend more than $1 trillion of our budget on this. It's incredibly inefficient. Canada and the UK spend a fraction of that per citizen and have a single-payer option. We need to reform our entire healthcare system, not expand it.

Community colleges are paid for by the state, not federal government. If you want to pay more in Nevada state taxes so that kids can go to community college for free, go right ahead and petition your governor for it. Also, states suck at budgeting for schools. So does the government. In NYC they had Open Admissions for CUNY until the 90s, which meant anyone regardless of grades can get into any of the 4-year schools. That reduced the value of the education, and just filled the schools up with kids who didn't even want to be there. CUNY was much better off once they got rid of that, and though they did raise costs, it's still very affordable even if you're working at $9/hour, like I was when I paid my way at Queens College.

The U.S military already provides tuition assistance to active members. Not a loan, but they actually pay your tuition. Also, if you're in the military, you can save enough to pay for any community college or state school once discharged.

I agree, and it's mostly run by the municipalities anyway, which is why counties with higher tax rates have better public schools. And also why public schools in rich neighborhoods get more money.

No argument here.

Well I feel the same way, but you sure do seem to want the government to spend MORE money on the things you think will help people, and think that by cutting military spending we can balance the budget. False. Besides, the national debt really isn't that big of a deal as most make it out to be. U.S debt provides a safe investment vehicle for everyone, because, let's face it, if we go down everyone does.
I was really just trying to show that I am not a far left liberal.  I think we agree on more than you thought.

When you have a military that can destroy the entire world at any moment five times over, it might be time to pump the breaks on military spending a bit.

Sick people produce zero tax revenue.  Whether it's medicaid, single payer, or public option, the country needs to pick one.  Insurance companies making billions while people die for no reason is not the solution.  More healthy people equals more tax dollars.

If raising the minimum wage is not an option, how about people making less than 15 an hour pay no federal taxes?  The rest of us pay 25% with no deductions, no loopholes.  Both numbers are obviously just spit balling, but you get the idea.

ukilledkenny

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #1803 on: March 22, 2017, 09:36:40 AM »
I was really just trying to show that I am not a far left liberal.  I think we agree on more than you thought.

When you have a military that can destroy the entire world at any moment five times over, it might be time to pump the breaks on military spending a bit.

Sick people produce zero tax revenue.  Whether it's medicaid, single payer, or public option, the country needs to pick one.  Insurance companies making billions while people die for no reason is not the solution.  More healthy people equals more tax dollars.

If raising the minimum wage is not an option, how about people making less than 15 an hour pay no federal taxes?  The rest of us pay 25% with no deductions, no loopholes.  Both numbers are obviously just spit balling, but you get the idea.

That would mean a lot of people making just above 15 would be far better off taking a pay cut and getting to the no tax bracket.

Or maybe I'm being dumb and it would only be the money above $15 that gets taxed. So someone making just above is only paying tax on the dollar or two extra.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 09:38:44 AM by ukilledkenny »

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
« Reply #1804 on: March 22, 2017, 09:42:38 AM »
That would mean a lot of people making just above 15 would be far better off taking a pay cut and getting to the no tax bracket.
Totally true.  Thats why I said 'spit balling'.  The % would have to slowly go up to the flat rate.  Anything above 20 an hour would even out.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #1805 on: March 22, 2017, 10:03:29 AM »
Totally true.  Thats why I said 'spit balling'.  The % would have to slowly go up to the flat rate.  Anything above 20 an hour would even out.

I'm 100% for a flat tax rate for anyone earning above $30k/etc, and an end to deductions. Everyone pays 15% and no deductions, which means no more H&R block and all this other crap people have to deal with to get as much money back as possible. Doing so would put more money in people's pockets each paycheck, help us reduce costs generated by the IRS and audits/etc, and everyone will be far better off in the long run. It'll also encourage people to contribute to a ROTH IRA or other form of retirement account, or to save, or to spend. Either way the economy as a whole benefits.
"Wrong!"

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #1806 on: March 22, 2017, 10:05:11 AM »

One of the biggest reasons for the increase in defense spending is that when you have a massive military, the equipment depreciates and needs to be replaced/upgraded. I do agree that we can trim the costs down, but just veteran pensions/etc alone account for 1/5th of the spending.
"Wrong!"

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
« Reply #1807 on: March 22, 2017, 10:23:14 AM »
One of the biggest reasons for the increase in defense spending is that when you have a massive military, the equipment depreciates and needs to be replaced/upgraded. I do agree that we can trim the costs down, but just veteran pensions/etc alone account for 1/5th of the spending.
Good point on vet benefits, and I was not aware that it was 20% of military spending, if your number is accurate.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #1809 on: March 22, 2017, 11:35:06 AM »

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #1810 on: March 22, 2017, 11:48:49 AM »
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
« Reply #1811 on: March 22, 2017, 01:37:22 PM »
You guys posting real excrement that Tommy will deny, when I think I might been having a rational conversation with him.

Worst intervention ever.

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
« Reply #1812 on: March 22, 2017, 01:43:49 PM »
I'm 100% for a flat tax rate for anyone earning above $30k/etc, and an end to deductions. Everyone pays 15% and no deductions, which means no more H&R block and all this other crap people have to deal with to get as much money back as possible. Doing so would put more money in people's pockets each paycheck, help us reduce costs generated by the IRS and audits/etc, and everyone will be far better off in the long run. It'll also encourage people to contribute to a ROTH IRA or other form of retirement account, or to save, or to spend. Either way the economy as a whole benefits.
15% wouldn't cut it.  I'm fine with pretax deductions for health care and retirement related bits, as long as the IRS DIAFF, but 25% seems like a more reasonable rate.

If you make 1 million, you could live without 250k.  If you make 40k and invest in health care and retirement, you probably pay nothing, but save the country a fortune in the long term.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #1813 on: March 22, 2017, 01:45:02 PM »
You guys posting real excrement that Tommy will deny, when I think I might been having a rational conversation with him.

Worst intervention ever.

I read the entire thing, and there is a bunch of misleading information being passed down to constituents from BOTH SIDES. Politicians being politicians. I'm not shocked.
"Wrong!"

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #1814 on: March 22, 2017, 01:51:18 PM »
15% wouldn't cut it.  I'm fine with pretax deductions for health care and retirement related bits, as long as the IRS DIAFF, but 25% seems like a more reasonable rate.

If you make 1 million, you could live without 250k.  If you make 40k and invest in health care and retirement, you probably pay nothing, but save the country a fortune in the long term.

Why won't 15% cut it?

There was close to $16 trillion in earned income in the U.S last year. 15% of all earned income is about $2.4 trillion dollars. And that's just taxes on personal income, not corporate taxes or others, which would more than cover the ones making less than $40k and what's in our current budget.
"Wrong!"

Tags: