Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 645110 times)

Ignatius J Reilly

Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #1410 on: August 24, 2016, 05:40:23 PM »
Iggy, do you think PE should be a requirement for kids in grade school and high school?

Absolutely, although PE is disappearing from elementary schools from what I hear.  My kids still have it every day.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1411 on: August 24, 2016, 05:49:31 PM »
Absolutely, although PE is disappearing from elementary schools from what I hear.  My kids still have it every day.

Obesity epidemic, let's not teach young kids how to exercise

Makes sense

I think doing it for kids is hugely important since that's how many learn to get physical exercise

For college it's just stupid

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #1412 on: August 24, 2016, 06:10:43 PM »
Funny as most kids age they exercise less, it's probably more important in college versus kids. Anyway, I had to do it in College as well. I took tennis and volleyball. Who cares if it's a requirement or not. I am almost as active now as I was then. That's almost across the board not true of most people my age.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1413 on: August 24, 2016, 06:19:21 PM »
Funny as most kids age they exercise less, it's probably more important in college versus kids. Anyway, I had to do it in College as well. I took tennis and volleyball. Who cares if it's a requirement or not. I am almost as active now as I was then. That's almost across the board not true of most people my age.

True, but it's more about teaching than the actual doing

Young kids don't know about different sports and exercise or have never experienced them before

Grown adults just don't give a freak or are too lazy

Can't teach someone the will to , just the how

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #1414 on: August 24, 2016, 06:21:30 PM »
I think the reasons change for exercise, but the importance doesn't as people age.  You need it as a kid to establish habits and burn some craziness off so you can concentrate.  Plus kids learn a lot by playing.  It's important in college so you can maintain some semblance of health and don't start bad habits, become a fatass and die early.  It doesn't always work but it's still worth trying.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #1415 on: August 24, 2016, 06:31:29 PM »

I read somewhere that people who are more active as children actually have an easier time maintaining a healthy weight later in life than those who don't. 

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #1416 on: August 24, 2016, 06:43:28 PM »
I read somewhere that people who are more active as children actually have an easier time maintaining a healthy weight later in life than those who don't.
Kids mud runs.  Building warriors.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 06:47:37 PM by bojanglesman »

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #1417 on: August 24, 2016, 06:52:54 PM »

It's probably true, my post was more of an observation really. A lot of people do not exercise enough as they age. Of course now it's even more important to get kids into sports/exercise, with the digitized world working against that.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #1418 on: August 24, 2016, 07:58:30 PM »
@iggy and @alio. Im not going to argue with you guys on this topic because its clear that we have different viewpoints on the purpose of college.  I do want to bring up one point that iggy mentioned which is what im alluding to when i talk about "knowing" what you want to do with your life when you graduate.

Internships.

There is no reason why a high school student can not do the internship work of a college student.  Hell I've joked with my friends when we first entered the workforce that our entry level jobs couldve been done by our highschool selves. 

To piggyback on one of your points.  The issue is that companys force you to get a degree to land a job.  I think alot of our workforce issues could be fixed if business leaders adjusted their mindset on what they need from employees.  The graduating students of this generation will be so much better off spending 6 months interning in a field theyre interested in before going to school for it.  This precents a waste of time and money on classes youre not interested in, and will provide motivation in college.  "Oh if i want to be an accountant I really need to focus on xyz because joe did that everyday".

I agree with both of your points ablut being well rounded.  Ive been using the past two years of my life to do just that.  Hell I work in advertising, but im teaching english in Thailand at the moment, but i think there is a time and place for it. 

In my opiniom clogging our universities with kids who are only going to college because its the next step is doing everyone a disservice.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #1419 on: August 24, 2016, 10:55:22 PM »

In my opiniom clogging our universities with kids who are only going to college because its the next step is doing everyone a disservice.

Yeah that was my bottom line point of agreement with you.  I think broad educational requirements are great.  I just don't think nearly as many people need to be in college in the first place.  It's an artificially inflated market.

ukilledkenny

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #1420 on: August 24, 2016, 11:09:15 PM »
Yup, I definitely went to college because that's what I was supposed to do. I would have been better off just working for a few years. I either would have ended up doing the same type of excrement I'm already doing without the debt or realized the amount of work you get in college is a joke compared to the real world and done way better when I did go.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #1421 on: August 24, 2016, 11:13:06 PM »
People took PE classes when I was in school, but it was like an extra thing just to have the activity.  Most people did golf or tennis just to get the instruction.  It wasn't a requirement.  I don't get the requirement part.  The classes didn't count toward your unit requirement.  They were just activities.

They are a requirement these days.
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #1422 on: August 25, 2016, 09:00:52 AM »
@iggy and @alio. Im not going to argue with you guys on this topic because its clear that we have different viewpoints on the purpose of college.  I do want to bring up one point that iggy mentioned which is what im alluding to when i talk about "knowing" what you want to do with your life when you graduate.

Internships.

There is no reason why a high school student can not do the internship work of a college student.  Hell I've joked with my friends when we first entered the workforce that our entry level jobs couldve been done by our highschool selves.

I can barely tolerate the recent college grads that work with me. I'd strangle a high school kid by the end of the first week.

To piggyback on one of your points.  The issue is that companys force you to get a degree to land a job.  I think alot of our workforce issues could be fixed if business leaders adjusted their mindset on what they need from employees.  The graduating students of this generation will be so much better off spending 6 months interning in a field theyre interested in before going to school for it.  This precents a waste of time and money on classes youre not interested in, and will provide motivation in college.  "Oh if i want to be an accountant I really need to focus on xyz because joe did that everyday".

Again, you're ignoring that evidence points to the fact that having a well-rounded education makes you a better overall employee--regardless of what job you perform. Saying that employers should adjust their mindset on what they need from employees is a bit ridiculous. You're making that argument solely for the benefit of the individual employee rather than the good of the company. I certainly trend liberal but even I wouldn't ever say a company should cater to the employee's needs over its own.

I agree with both of your points ablut being well rounded.  Ive been using the past two years of my life to do just that.  Hell I work in advertising, but im teaching english in Thailand at the moment, but i think there is a time and place for it. 

Yeah that was my bottom line point of agreement with you.  I think broad educational requirements are great.  I just don't think nearly as many people need to be in college in the first place.  It's an artificially inflated market.

I understand where you guys are coming from, I just completely disagree. Again, we unfortunately live in a country where manufacturing and farming jobs have been moved outside of our borders and they're not coming back.

There are very few jobs left that can be pigeonholed educationally. Examples like auto mechanic, physician's assistant, locksmith, and electrician--and these jobs have dedicated schools for specialized training. If you don't do that, and you don't go to college, what's left is mostly construction, fast-food work, or customer service jobs.

Where I do agree with Iggy is on the idea that we should be introducing more vocational training at the high school level. It's ridiculous that we no longer have classes like "shop" where students can determine if they'd be better off working with their hands. But that likely comes down to ever-shrinking educational budgets. It's probably also why Iggy's seeing a decrease in PE classes. Because why invest money into schools?
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #1423 on: August 25, 2016, 09:07:38 AM »
What's everybody complaining about?  Rick's is hiring right outta high school. 

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1424 on: August 25, 2016, 06:53:35 PM »
http://patch.com/rhode-island/barrington/ri-congressmans-sweeping-college-loan-bill-would-eliminate-student-loan

Some good, some bad out of this.

The thought of letting students pay off their student loans with pretax money (similar to a 401k) is a good idea I think people could bet behind. It encourages people to take responsibility for their actions and pay their own loans off. It's a great idea

Limiting student loan payments to 4% of an individual's paycheck is kinda stupid, like really freaking stupid. Demanding 0% interest rates for student loans while allowing students to pay them off over 30 years is also absurd. I'm cool with stopping predatory lending, but the government would lose hundreds of billions (if not substantially more)  of dollars lending out trillions of dollars interest free for 30 years.

Not to mention if people can get 30 year 0 APR loans on student loans they would be extremely wise to borrow as much as humanly possible as those numbers are ridiculous. It would also let colleges price gouge even more than they already do.

Improving student loans is a noble go, but some of these ideas are freaking idiotic.

Tags: