Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 644722 times)

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #1380 on: August 23, 2016, 03:21:23 PM »
Let's keep what you me and Heismanberg do on the weekend private.

Thanks

God you're desperate
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #1381 on: August 23, 2016, 04:39:12 PM »
All the time and money I spent on college I think I know a thing or two about being educated from all different angles and views

And there's the nub of your problem. You only ever views things through the narrow filter of your own experience, you seem incapable of stepping outside your own tiny sphere of experience and considering that someone else's experiences could be both very different to yours, and equally valid. At least Tommy has the honesty, if also the monstrous hubris, to admit that his positions start and end with what's good for him.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

NDMick

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #1382 on: August 23, 2016, 04:48:22 PM »
All the time and money I spent on college I think I know a thing or two about being educated from all different angles and views

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

hold on i'm not done

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

you poor little child

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1383 on: August 23, 2016, 05:12:11 PM »
And there's the nub of your problem. You only ever views things through the narrow filter of your own experience, you seem incapable of stepping outside your own tiny sphere of experience and considering that someone else's experiences could be both very different to yours, and equally valid. At least Tommy has the honesty, if also the monstrous hubris, to admit that his positions start and end with what's good for him.

We were having a conversation about taking college courses that have nothing to do with anything

My point was I took plenty of those. And a lot of those classes not just the teacher doesn't take them serious either

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #1384 on: August 23, 2016, 05:19:12 PM »
We were having a conversation about taking college courses that have nothing to do with anything

My point was I took plenty of those. And a lot of those classes not just the teacher doesn't take them serious either

Exactly my point. YOU took a bunch of those courses and they did nothing for YOU and YOUR teachers didn't take them seriously, so on that basis you have decided that those courses are useless for everyone, despite Alio giving you direct anecdotal evidence to the contrary.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1385 on: August 23, 2016, 05:27:53 PM »
Exactly my point. YOU took a bunch of those courses and they did nothing for YOU and YOUR teachers didn't take them seriously, so on that basis you have decided that those courses are useless for everyone, despite Alio giving you direct anecdotal evidence to the contrary.

I didn't say that, I actually agreed with him.

And then Alio went on to say that he didn't take his accounting courses seriously, which adds to my point was the problem that many people don't take courses not pertinent to their major ad seriously.

If you don't understand than you probably haven't been in college in a long freaking derriere time.

And I'll point out one more time that I agreed with him that these courses can be beneficial.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #1386 on: August 23, 2016, 05:30:38 PM »
I didn't say that, I actually agreed with him.

And then Alio went on to say that he didn't take his accounting courses seriously, which adds to my point was the problem that many people don't take courses not pertinent to their major ad seriously.

If you don't understand than you probably haven't been in college in a long freaking derriere time.

And I'll point out one more time that I agreed with him that these courses can be beneficial.

I'm sorry, I must have misconstrued your general support for the idea in this quote:

I think the problem with taking general courses is a lot of them are excrement nonsense that nobody gives a freak about.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1387 on: August 23, 2016, 05:52:45 PM »
Which is true.

It doesn't mean you don't gain a benefit from them. People don't take off major courses and specifically electives as seriously

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #1388 on: August 23, 2016, 06:13:12 PM »
Which is true.

It doesn't mean you don't gain a benefit from them. People don't take off major courses and specifically electives as seriously

But why?

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1389 on: August 23, 2016, 06:25:41 PM »
But why?

Because electives frequently have nothing  to do with your interest or future. I've had to take all kinda of nonsense over the years. Mummy science, music history (or some excrement) , us history, I can't even remember all the crap I've taken. But it had absolutely nothing to do with my interest (at the time)  or career plans.

It makes perfect sense that a person would pay less attention that something that doesn't interest them,  or that doesn't have a clear benefit to them in some way. I fully agree that it could be beneficial by teaching you other ways to think about it. But I think many people also think they would get a greater benefit from something at least tangently related.

If I wanna go into medicine how about a course on alternative medicine (something different, but related)  instead of a art class.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1390 on: August 23, 2016, 06:27:18 PM »
Not to mention when people are paying (usually quite a bit for their college)

You can see why they might be annoyed when the university wants them to pay 2000$ to take an art history class when they want to become say a physicial therapist.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #1391 on: August 23, 2016, 06:33:39 PM »
Because electives frequently have nothing  to do with your interest or future. I've had to take all kinda of nonsense over the years. Mummy science, music history (or some excrement) , us history, I can't even remember all the crap I've taken. But it had absolutely nothing to do with my interest (at the time)  or career plans.

It makes perfect sense that a person would pay less attention that something that doesn't interest them,  or that doesn't have a clear benefit to them in some way. I fully agree that it could be beneficial by teaching you other ways to think about it. But I think many people also think they would get a greater benefit from something at least tangently related.

If I wanna go into medicine how about a course on alternative medicine (something different, but related)  instead of a art class.

Because it goes back to Pope's absolutely correct point that so many kids at 18 or 19 don't have a clue what they want to do, and quite understandably, so it make sense to do a bunch of things - many of which won't necessarily be that interesting or relevant to what they end up doing - in order to find the one or two things that really do flick their switch, and give them a focus and direction. Just because you knew what you wanted to do doesn't mean that others do, and it doesn't make them better off or worse than you. Just different.

And because it goes back to Alio's also absolutely correct point that even if you do end up following your chosen path you don't know what other apparently completely unconnected skills are going to come in useful in later life and in future roles, and just because Alio didn't pay attention in accounting and you didn't care about your electives doesn't mean that you won't need them in the future and regret not paying attention just like Alio, nor does it mean that others didn't pay attention and won't value them at some point in the future.

Education for education's sake is good. We need to stop tying everything that everyone does, especially kids in their late teens and early twenties, into hardline capitalistic values. Education in general makes people smarter, more inquisitive, more interesting and more rounded. It's a thing that as a society we should be encouraging and paying for.

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #1392 on: August 23, 2016, 08:01:11 PM »
If you already know what you want to do, the option is there to apply to the program you'd like (ex. the School of Engineering). The College of General Studies is simply a place for students to take all of the required "liberal arts" courses while learning about different fields of dedicated study until they determine their chosen major, rather than at the same time.

If your argument is that students shouldn't take a breadth of courses outside of their major, and should instead take only courses directly related to their major, then we're in direct disagreement. Broad studies are important for the brain; that's been established through centuries of science. Students exposed to broad studies become better thinkers/problem solvers.

I took a specialized program in college and even I had to take 3 semesters of math, accounting, writing, history, etc. I've long regretted not putting in more effort in my accounting coursework. You don't realize how important your non-major work is until you actually need it.

EDIT: Also, just because you want to be the creative director of an ad agency doesn't mean you will be. It would be a lot more disingenuous for a school to prepare you for a pigeonholed position and leave you completely unprepared to do anything else when it doesn't work out.
I agree that learning about a broad range of topics is imporant for personl growth, im paying for a degree ina particular field.  I shouldnt have to pay thousands of dollars for a gym class.  Im perfectly capable of reading up on historical figures or learning about electrical engineering on my own time.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #1393 on: August 23, 2016, 08:17:04 PM »
To be fair I remember taking a fuckton of courses both inside and outside my curriculum that I found boring and hated but had to do well in for the grade. Doing the bare minimum amount of required work for Bs and Cs

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh

Tags: