Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 645102 times)

Ignatius J Reilly

Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #1185 on: May 19, 2016, 08:36:30 PM »
http://www.wsj.com/articles/would-the-u-s-drop-the-bomb-again-1463682867

Kind of scary reading something like this
Shows you how freaking stupid the average American is, and why it might be a good thing if the average person couldn't vote.

And as much as people would like to just blame Republicans (whose numbers in the poll are much higher)  even the Democrats numbers are really high.

There's no hope for American politics

As long as you acknowledge that you're a prime candidate for disenfranchisement.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #1186 on: May 19, 2016, 08:39:15 PM »

http://www.wsj.com/articles/would-the-u-s-drop-the-bomb-again-1463682867

Kind of scary reading something like this
Shows you how freaking stupid the average American is, and why it might be a good thing if the average person couldn't vote.

And as much as people would like to just blame Republicans (whose numbers in the poll are much higher)  even the Democrats numbers are really high.

There's no hope for American politics

It's stupid to compare public opinion anyway. In 1945 most of the people polled probably had a close relative in the army or out in the pacific. Most polled now probably never knew anyone who fought.
"Wrong!"

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1187 on: May 19, 2016, 08:41:16 PM »
As long as you acknowledge that you're a prime candidate for disenfranchisement.

Say what you want about my poor verbiage and word choices, but I think I'm more than reasonable politically. I think logical reasonable human beings (aka no politician in this country) could find a middle ground on almost every single issue that would keep people happy plus do the "right" thing.

And honestly I'd gladly give up my right to vote if it meant every Republican and Democrat in politics would be out of office for life

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1188 on: May 19, 2016, 08:43:16 PM »
It's stupid to compare public opinion anyway. In 1945 most of the people polled probably had a close relative in the army or out in the pacific. Most polled now probably never knew anyone who fought.

I believe the point of the article was that around 80% of Republicans and 50% of Democrats would have no problems dropping a nuclear bomb on Iran if they attacked a US naval carrier and inflicted casualties similar to pearl Harbor (around 2500 dead)

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #1189 on: May 19, 2016, 08:53:29 PM »

I believe the point of the article was that around 80% of Republicans and 50% of Democrats would have no problems dropping a nuclear bomb on Iran if they attacked a US naval carrier and inflicted casualties similar to pearl Harbor (around 2500 dead)

Meh. Polls are done to create stories. I'm sure they were very selective of the polling areas.
"Wrong!"

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1190 on: May 19, 2016, 08:59:01 PM »
Meh. Polls are done to create stories. I'm sure they were very selective of the polling areas.

Possibly. But it wasnt a "Ooh the Republicans are bad" kind of poll. Republicans were terrible, Democrats were horrible too.

I dont know if i believe those numbers, but its still scary if they're even relatively accurate

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #1191 on: May 19, 2016, 10:52:21 PM »
Say what you want about my poor verbiage and word choices, but I think I'm more than reasonable politically. I think logical reasonable human beings (aka no politician in this country) could find a middle ground on almost every single issue that would keep people happy plus do the "right" thing.

And honestly I'd gladly give up my right to vote if it meant every Republican and Democrat in politics would be out of office for life

No.  You tend far more often to follow an irrational path than a reasonable one.  You throw about lazy stereotypes as solid evidence and overreact frequently.  The above was even a relatively tame example.  Obviously you're not always illogical, but taken as a whoIe, I don't consider you politically reasonable..

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #1192 on: May 19, 2016, 10:59:03 PM »

Polls in general are not done to create stories.  Statisticians are not journalists.  Neither are scientists.  This one, though, commissioned by WSJ, was obviously done in search of a story.

Having said that, if the firm they contracted was selective of polling areas and forced bias into the poll, it wouldn't be a leading firm for long.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #1193 on: May 23, 2016, 04:51:03 PM »
If you ever want to know why idiots on the right are nutjobs, just look at some beloved sources:

http://americanactionnews.com/articles/how-obama-is-using-the-transgendered-lifestyle-to-shut-down-hospitals

The ones on the left are no less funny.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #1194 on: May 23, 2016, 05:35:48 PM »

If you ever want to know why idiots on the right are nutjobs, just look at some beloved sources:

http://americanactionnews.com/articles/how-obama-is-using-the-transgendered-lifestyle-to-shut-down-hospitals

The ones on the left are no less funny.

A whopping 30 shares on Facebook, too.
"Wrong!"

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #1195 on: May 24, 2016, 08:29:20 AM »
A whopping 30 shares on Facebook, too.

AAN has a massive email list, which is its primary means of distribution.  It's a fairly antiquated delivery system, but it's what they use.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #1196 on: May 24, 2016, 08:34:56 AM »
Also about 800k likes on FB, which means it is showing up in a ton of feeds.

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #1198 on: June 28, 2016, 02:48:08 PM »

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #1199 on: June 28, 2016, 03:06:28 PM »
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhocking.

You won't believe what happened to the price of healthcare between 2009 and 2013!

Tags: