Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 645705 times)

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #1155 on: March 29, 2016, 09:54:10 AM »
I ask for an example, and you provide me with one from a completely different country.

Well, he could provide you data from the US, if you know we, I don't know...  Raised the minimum wage?

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #1156 on: March 29, 2016, 09:56:52 AM »
I ask for an example, and you provide me with one from a completely different country.

LOL. I forgot that economic principles are different in the US, because you're special. By this token, you're presumably also dismissing Jumbo's referencing of Scandinavian workers' unions being anti-MW (BTW, I'd like to see a citation for this - I'm not doubting him but I couldn't find anything about it with a cursory Google search) on the basis of the fact that it has no relevance to the US, given your whole specialness thing you've got going on?

Can you cite me an example of where the minimum wage has demonstrably had a negative impact upon the economy?
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #1157 on: March 29, 2016, 10:10:30 AM »
LOL. I forgot that economic principles are different in the US, because you're special. By this token, you're presumably also dismissing Jumbo's referencing of Scandinavian workers' unions being anti-MW (BTW, I'd like to see a citation for this - I'm not doubting him but I couldn't find anything about it with a cursory Google search) on the basis of the fact that it has no relevance to the US, given your whole specialness thing you've got going on?

Can you cite me an example of where the minimum wage has demonstrably had a negative impact upon the economy?

http://www.forbes.com/2009/08/31/europe-minimum-wage-lifestyle-wages.html

“The unions there felt that a national minimum wage would interfere with collective bargaining, and it might even bring the price of labor down"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #1158 on: March 29, 2016, 10:18:28 AM »
http://www.forbes.com/2009/08/31/europe-minimum-wage-lifestyle-wages.html

“The unions there felt that a national minimum wage would interfere with collective bargaining, and it might even bring the price of labor down"

Thanks. I presume then that, having cited the Scandinavian model and the opposition of the workers' unions to minimum wage based upon their concern of a potential downward pressure on wages, you are also going to accept the entirety of their argument which is that the downward pressure would be caused because there is such a successful communion of industry and unions, and you are in fact advocating for far stronger unions in the US and the type of collective bargaining that is the preference of the Nordic countries?

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #1159 on: March 29, 2016, 10:21:01 AM »
Thanks. I presume then that, having cited the Scandinavian model and the opposition of the workers' unions to minimum wage based upon their concern of a potential downward pressure on wages, you are also going to accept the entirety of their argument which is that the downward pressure would be caused because there is such a successful communion of industry and unions, and you are in fact advocating for far stronger unions in the US and the type of collective bargaining that is the preference of the Nordic countries?

I don't really have a problem with unions as long as people aren't forced to join them if they don't want to

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #1160 on: March 29, 2016, 10:23:05 AM »
I don't really have a problem with unions as long as people aren't forced to join them if they don't want to

That's fair, although if wages are determined through collective bargaining then it's not really much of a choice. I don't know enough about the make up of unions in that region to know how they work or how far their remit extends, but like most other things in Scandinavia I suspect it's all pretty organised and reasonable and fair.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

eyedea

• Laveranues Coles
« Reply #1163 on: April 05, 2016, 09:22:00 AM »

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #1166 on: May 05, 2016, 01:53:52 PM »
California raised the smoking age from 18 to 21 because.... who the hell knows

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #1167 on: May 05, 2016, 02:03:52 PM »
California raised the smoking age from 18 to 21 because.... who the hell knows

Because they want to reduce the number of people who smoke and legislation has proven to be pretty effective at doing that?

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #1168 on: May 05, 2016, 02:23:23 PM »
Because they want to reduce the number of people who smoke and legislation has proven to be pretty effective at doing that?

But why?

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #1169 on: May 05, 2016, 02:23:59 PM »
But why?

Because dead people don't pay taxes.

Tags: