Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 646096 times)

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #660 on: March 19, 2015, 11:58:48 AM »
See this is the problem. It's the "them" part that bothers me. Why are they lumped into one category as if they're all affected by the same legislation etc. On a local level, democrats have had decades to help bring low income black families, or any families for that matter, out of poverty and have done nothing. You'd think some people would say "you know what, I'm going to try this other party instead." Hasn't happened because there's this stigma against voting republican for blacks. Black republicans even get labeled "Sellouts" for whatever Fuckn reason. It's ridiculous.

The Democrats never were able to address who indeed let the dogs out.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #661 on: March 19, 2015, 12:13:01 PM »
See this is the problem. It's the "them" part that bothers me. Why are they lumped into one category as if they're all affected by the same legislation etc. On a local level, democrats have had decades to help bring low income black families, or any families for that matter, out of poverty and have done nothing. You'd think some people would say "you know what, I'm going to try this other party instead." Hasn't happened because there's this stigma against voting republican for blacks. Black republicans even get labeled "Sellouts" for whatever Fuckn reason. It's ridiculous.

Did you bother reading the other posts in here?

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #662 on: March 19, 2015, 12:14:25 PM »

Did you bother reading the other posts in here?

No time. I'll come back to it later. Meetings all day.
"Wrong!"

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #663 on: March 19, 2015, 12:17:16 PM »
Tommy, what exactly do you think the Republican party is going to do if the black vote decides to give it a chance?  Address institutionalized racism?  freak no, that goes against some of the biggest donors to the party.  It's not going to alienate its core and it's certainly not going to shift the narrative that secures its poor white base.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #664 on: March 19, 2015, 12:18:13 PM »
No time. I'll come back to it later. Meetings all day.

And yet you took time to restate the tired, ignorant attitude of shock you've held forever.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #665 on: March 19, 2015, 12:18:55 PM »
Millions of African Americans across the country are already benefiting from the stronger coverage and consumer protections made possible by the Affordable Care Act:

•     7.8 million African Americans with private insurance now have access to expanded preventive services with no cost-sharing. This includes services such as colonoscopy screening for colon cancer, Pap smears and mammograms for women, well-child visits, and flu shots for all children and adults.
  •     Private plans in the Health Insurance Marketplace are required to cover 10 essential health benefit categories, including maternity and newborn care. Over 390,000 African American women in the individual market alone are projected to gain maternity coverage thanks to the Affordable Care Act.
  •     An estimated 5.1 million African American women with private health insurance now have guaranteed access to women’s preventive services without cost-sharing. These services include well-woman visits, HPV testing, breastfeeding support and counseling, mammograms and screenings for cervical cancer, prenatal care, and other services.
  •     More than 500,000 African American young adults between ages 19 and 26 who would have been uninsured, including 230,000 African American women, now have coverage under their parents’ employer-sponsored or individually purchased health insurance plan.
  •     About 10.4 million African Americans, including 3.9 million adult African American women, no longer have lifetime or annual limits on their health insurance coverage thanks to the Affordable Care Act.
  •     Nearly eight million African Americans with a preexisting health condition are no longer at risk of being denied coverage since the ACA prohibits insurers from denying someone coverage or charging them more because of a pre-existing condition.
  •     The $11 billion in the Affordable Care Act for the nearly 1,300 community health centers has increased the number of patients served by nearly 5 million. Nearly one of every four patients at a health center is African American.

African Americans need to wake up and realize the Democrats don't do squat for them. They should start voting for the party intent on repealing that ridiculous ACA that clearly doesn't benefit them in any demonstrable way.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #666 on: March 19, 2015, 12:19:46 PM »
Maybe Christian Conservatives should switch parties.  After all, working with Republicans hasn't stopped abortion OR gay marriage.  Give the Democrats a shot!

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #667 on: March 20, 2015, 08:00:42 AM »
Why should Republicans bother trying to get the black vote if it's only worth three fifths

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #668 on: March 20, 2015, 09:17:36 AM »
No.  There's a difference between accepting that it's an unfortunate part of politics in this country and stating that it's "not hard to defend it" because the other side did it. That's absolutely a "Well he started it" argument.  You didn't even show the actions, you merely alluded to them.  We can go all the way back to Adams to find examples of Congress and the president butting heads on foreign policy to varying extent, but you didn't actually mention a single instance.  Either way, if it's "not right", why would you find it so easy to defend?  Acceptance is a very different matter.

I made it through the 2012 election by stumping for Gary Johnson.  Like I said, I'm looking for someone to address the current state of politics.  3rd party candidates have long had an impact on the two major parties, just not in recent years.  The system is due for a shakeup at a level we haven't seen for nearly 100 years.

And I don't believe politics are business as usual these days.  The tone remains the same, but the tenor has changed.  Whatever chaotic elegance once existed is gone.  Defiant ignorance is embraced in a way I'm not sure we've seen since 1832 if ever.  Given the broad and unprecedented access to information we have, it's particularly concerning.

I disagree with the bolded. The former argument was the one I was making, or thought I was anyway. This IS a part of politics, and as you said it's been happening since the days of Adams. I didn't think I needed to recount all of the instances of Democrats going against GOP Presidents in exactly the same way, when a simple google search can provide plenty of instances such as these;

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA). In April 2007, as the Bush administration pursued pressure against Syrian dictator Bashar Assad, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi went to visit him.

In 1983, Teddy Kennedy sent emissaries to the Soviets to undermine Ronald Reagan’s foreign policy.

House Speaker Jim Wright (D-TX). In 1984, 10 Democrats sent a letter to Daniel Ortega, the head of the military dictatorship in Nicaragua, praising Ortega.

Senator John Kerry (D-MA). Kerry jumped into the pro-Sandanista pool himself in 1985, when he traveled to Nicaragua to negotiate with the regime.

Representatives Jim McDermott (D-WA), David Bonior (D-MI), and Mike Thompson (D-CA). In 2002, the three Congressmen visited Baghdad to play defense for Saddam Hussein’s regime.

Senators John Sparkman (D-AL) and George McGovern (D-SD). The two Senators visited Cuba and met with government actors there in 1975.

I couldn't agree more with your last two paragraphs. I also voted for Johnson.

OK, a failed foreign policy from the 80's that should have resulted in the president's impeachment, and democrats not agreeing with most of Bush's policies.  You have to be kidding me about the former, as it has no bearing on discussion of recent history.  The latter is how dissension is supposed to work.  In neither case was the opposition overstepping their bounds.

Either way the presidents involved were on the wrong side of public sentiment, not that it means anything.

Sidestepping a sitting president on foreign policy goes against every rule that exists.  They can debate all they want on the floor of congress, but what they did in both the cases I mentioned were at the very least 'borderline' treasonous actions.

Literally every one of these is a bullshit rationalization because your chosen President is under fire. According to you dissension is supposed to work by meeting with the opposition, BUT GOD FORBID YOU SEND THEM A LETTER. Why can't you just acknowledge that this is a practice that our government has been taking part in for years, for better or worse. Usually worse.

As far as Steven A's recent comments, I'm not going to pretend to be an authority on the black vote like so many of you, but IMHO I think this is his response to the absolute vitriol he sees whenever a black voice out of the crowd identifies with the Republican party. Larry Elder, Thomas Sowell, Carson, Tim Scott, Mia Love. All immediately branded by their own communities as traitors, uncle Tom's, "house negro." etc. Without even getting into whether there is justification for this, how is that healthy or beneficial? Juan Williams' son was attack by some idiot at Vibe for not being black, and then when it was proven conclusively through the wonders of photography that he was black, he wasn't "black enough." How is that line of thinking not completely stupid? How about having a conversation and debating issues before settling race and genetics.

Also, not for nothing but the starting point to this conversation for some of you was "Republicans are racist!" Not really an objective starting place.

On another topic, a former constitutional law professor is talking about how the mandatory vote would be a great idea. I mean it's easy to blur the lines sometimes when rights aren't enumerated, but unfortunately, I think LIBERTY happens to be spelled out pretty clearly.  The right to vote or not vote is pretty central to that idea one would think.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #669 on: March 20, 2015, 09:59:58 AM »
Why should Republicans bother trying to get the black vote if it's only worth three fifths
And they don't vote

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #671 on: March 20, 2015, 10:08:22 AM »

On another topic, a former constitutional law professor is talking about how the mandatory vote would be a great idea. I mean it's easy to blur the lines sometimes when rights aren't enumerated, but unfortunately, I think LIBERTY happens to be spelled out pretty clearly.  The right to vote or not vote is pretty central to that idea one would think.

You folks are really big into talking about your rights, but I hear far less mention of responsibilities. The two go hand in hand - you want more of one, you have to shoulder more of the other.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #672 on: March 20, 2015, 10:08:39 AM »

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
« Reply #673 on: March 20, 2015, 10:32:36 AM »
Literally every one of these is a bullshit rationalization because your chosen President is under fire.

Stopped reading here.  When Rush Limbaugh Jr. tells me my ideas are bullshit, I've already won.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #674 on: March 20, 2015, 10:41:08 AM »
Stopped reading here.  When Rush Limbaugh Jr. tells me my ideas are bullshit, I've already won.
You realize that you're just as bad as people who listen/believe in Rush except on the other side of the aisle right?

Tags: