Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 645016 times)

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #645 on: March 19, 2015, 11:20:48 AM »
Why are white people way more diverse in their political views? Nearly split down the middle. Blacks on the other hand vote overwhelmingly for the democrats and have done so for decades. Why? There's no way all black people share the same political beliefs. People are unique and different and all that. There's another force at play here, and that's what I'm referring to.

What has the Republican party done to entice black people to vote for them?

Besides Mitt Romney's impromptu rendition of "Who Let the Dogs Out."

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #646 on: March 19, 2015, 11:23:17 AM »
Why are white people way more diverse in their political views? Nearly split down the middle. Blacks on the other hand vote overwhelmingly for the democrats and have done so for decades. Why? There's no way all black people share the same political beliefs. People are unique and different and all that. There's another force at play here, and that's what I'm referring to.

Civil Rights for whites are not a political issue favored by one party over the other.  Evangelists overwhelmingly vote Republican.  Why?  Because the issues most dear to them are a political issue favored by Republicans.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #647 on: March 19, 2015, 11:25:18 AM »

Wait......blacks are allowed to vote now?

Tommy's inner thoughts.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #648 on: March 19, 2015, 11:29:02 AM »
...do you know any black voters?

They don't vote Democratic because they have to.  They vote that way because they feel marginalized and maligned by the Republicans.  They've switched party allegiances in the past, but they've long been an ignored faction by the Republicans.  It's political strategy for both sides.  Surely you recognize how choosing not to court the "black vote" curries favor with certain parts of the Republican party base.  For many Southern Republicans, the 'welfare queen' has a definite race attached.  That lends an air of superiority to poor whites who become more inclined to vote against their own economic interests.  It's been a crafted message for ages, no different than civil rights largely being a ploy to secure the remaining "black votes" which still held Republican after the New Deal.  It's also no different than the way the Christian vote was courted by the Republican party.  Honestly, what's sadder?  A voting bloc that feels marginalized by race or a voting bloc that feels marginalized by religion?

Oddly enough there are more whites on welfare and I bet they resoundingly vote republican. I don't like democrats very much but I understand why black people overwhelmingly vote for them. They have to, it's not like there's a choice involved. Republican's hate black people. Honestly this 2 party system needs to die in a fire. I don't think there's a person here represented by either party.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #649 on: March 19, 2015, 11:36:02 AM »
Oddly enough there are more whites on welfare and I bet they resoundingly vote republican. I don't like democrats very much but I understand why black people overwhelmingly vote for them. They have to, it's not like there's a choice involved. Republican's hate black people. Honestly this 2 party system needs to die in a fire. I don't think there's a person here represented by either party.

The country is still 72% white so of course more whites are on welfare than anyone else. It would take a staggering disproportion for that not to be the case.

As far as how they vote, I no longer associate with the freeloader crowd but when I was slumming it in upstate NY, I'd say most of them were not the voting type at all.

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
« Reply #650 on: March 19, 2015, 11:37:03 AM »
Oddly enough there are more whites on welfare and I bet they resoundingly vote republican.

Thank you.  This fact is lost in the discussion way too often.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #651 on: March 19, 2015, 11:37:17 AM »

Are there?  I thought there was a slightly higher number of blacks on welfare.  I know the percentage of blacks on welfare was significantly higher than the percentage of whites, which should surprise no one.

Part of the problem is that institutionalized racism still exists, and the Democratic party is the one that actively tries to address it.  The younger blacks I know who are at least one generation removed from poverty are more open to the Republican party.  I even know some who voted against Obama in 2012.  They're less likely to have faced racism at an institutional level, though they'll admit it still exists.  They're resistant because of their success, but they'll admit privately that it exists for them as well.  This includes difficulties getting a mortgage, etc (I believe there were some hefty settlements because of the mortgage issue recently).  For anyone still living in poverty, though, institutionalized racism is a part of daily life.  Obama was such a token victory for the black community.  It didn't change a damn thing, but they could point to his election as a positive sign.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #652 on: March 19, 2015, 11:38:00 AM »
This would indicate more blacks than non-Hispanic whites:

http://www.statisticbrain.com/welfare-statistics/

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #653 on: March 19, 2015, 11:40:02 AM »
The country is still 72% white so of course more whites are on welfare than anyone else. It would take a staggering disproportion for that not to be the case.

As far as how they vote, I no longer associate with the food stamp crowd but when I was slumming it in upstate NY, I'd say most of them were not the voting type at all.

That's simplistic number, if you count hispanics as a separate voting bloc as most are apt to do, it's the low 60's. But I wasn't talking about the reality, more to the point of perception. If you asked the average American, admittedly most likely a mouth breather, they would say most welfare recipients are black. that was my point. Sorry for lack of clarity there.

Also I was speaking mostly about the south, I do not know much about upstate welfare recipients.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
« Reply #654 on: March 19, 2015, 11:40:52 AM »
Are there?  I thought there was a slightly higher number of blacks on welfare.  I know the percentage of blacks on welfare was significantly higher than the percentage of whites, which should surprise no one.

It depends on which study you are reading, as numbers can always be skewed.  But without a doubt, there are more white people on food stamps than any other race.  Your last sentence is obviously true by a landslide.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #655 on: March 19, 2015, 11:44:08 AM »
That's simplistic number, if you count hispanics as a separate voting bloc as most are apt to do, it's the low 60's. But I wasn't talking about the reality, more to the point of perception. If you asked the average American, admittedly most likely a mouth breather, they would say most welfare recipients are black. that was my point. Sorry for lack of clarity there.

Also I was speaking mostly about the south, I do not know much about upstate welfare recipients.

Sorry, non-Hispanic whites come in at 63.7%. I knew that number looked a little high.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #656 on: March 19, 2015, 11:45:20 AM »

Part of the problem is that institutionalized racism still exists, and the Democratic party is the one that actively tries to address it.  The younger blacks I know who are at least one generation removed from poverty are more open to the Republican party.  I even know some who voted against Obama in 2012.  They're less likely to have faced racism at an institutional level, though they'll admit it still exists.  They're resistant because of their success, but they'll admit privately that it exists for them as well.  This includes difficulties getting a mortgage, etc (I believe there were some hefty settlements because of the mortgage issue recently).  For anyone still living in poverty, though, institutionalized racism is a part of daily life.  Obama was such a token victory for the black community.  It didn't change a damn thing, but they could point to his election as a positive sign.

Percentage yes # no.....
Here is a study that says the #'s are close:

http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/ofa/resource/character/fy2010/fy2010-chap10-ys-final

Here this is a percentage from the Pew research:

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/07/12/the-politics-and-demographics-of-food-stamp-recipients/

Here is another:

http://www.statisticbrain.com/welfare-statistics/
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 11:53:53 AM by Miamipuck »

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #657 on: March 19, 2015, 11:53:37 AM »
Percentage yes # no.....
Here is a study that says the #'s are close:

http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/ofa/resource/character/fy2010/fy2010-chap10-ys-final

Here this is a percentage from the Pew research:

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/07/12/the-politics-and-demographics-of-food-stamp-recipients/

Hmm...Pew is polling, right?  The numbers I posted came from USDHHS.  If a higher percentage of welfare recipients are black, wouldn't that indicate a higher number are black?  A plurality?  I'm not talking about percentage of blacks on welfare and percentage of whites.  That percentage isn't remotely close.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #658 on: March 19, 2015, 11:54:47 AM »
Hmm...Pew is polling, right?  The numbers I posted came from USDHHS.  If a higher percentage of welfare recipients are black, wouldn't that indicate a higher number are black?  A plurality?  I'm not talking about percentage of blacks on welfare and percentage of whites.  That percentage isn't remotely close.

I think the Pew is wrong or misleading. The sites I was able to check say Black 38.9% and white 38.8% of welfare recipients.

**Hispanics counted as white probably.**
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 11:56:19 AM by Miamipuck »

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #659 on: March 19, 2015, 11:57:11 AM »

What has the Republican party done to entice black people to vote for them?

Besides Mitt Romney's impromptu rendition of "Who Let the Dogs Out."

See this is the problem. It's the "them" part that bothers me. Why are they lumped into one category as if they're all affected by the same legislation etc. On a local level, democrats have had decades to help bring low income black families, or any families for that matter, out of poverty and have done nothing. You'd think some people would say "you know what, I'm going to try this other party instead." Hasn't happened because there's this stigma against voting republican for blacks. Black republicans even get labeled "Sellouts" for whatever Fuckn reason. It's ridiculous.
"Wrong!"

Tags: