Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 645177 times)

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #555 on: February 19, 2015, 02:06:59 PM »
Hey, half a million people just got a $4k a year raise on average. Not bad.
"Wrong!"

ukilledkenny

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #556 on: February 19, 2015, 02:20:48 PM »
Yeah, that's pretty good. They should see an uptick in morale for sure. Maybe going there won't be like a trip to the dentist now.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #557 on: February 19, 2015, 02:45:47 PM »
Yeah, that's pretty good. They should see an uptick in morale for sure. Maybe going there won't be like a trip to the dentist now.

Why?
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #558 on: February 19, 2015, 02:57:24 PM »
Higher salary = better quality of employees.
"Wrong!"

ukilledkenny

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #559 on: February 19, 2015, 03:06:13 PM »
Why?

I usually don't have to but every now and then my only choices to get something are wait a few days for amazon or go to wally world.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #560 on: February 19, 2015, 03:15:31 PM »
Walmart is depressing. You walk by the people doing clothes shopping and you just want to kill yourself.
"Wrong!"

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #561 on: February 19, 2015, 03:17:52 PM »
Walmart is depressing. You walk by the people doing clothes shopping and you just want to kill yourself.

Nothing worse than seeing Jim Harbaugh buying a pallet of khakis.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #562 on: February 19, 2015, 03:36:33 PM »
I usually don't have to but every now and then my only choices to get something are wait a few days for amazon or go to wally world.

I hear you. I used to go in there only on really off hours, for stupid errands, like 3-4 am on weekends and would get in and out of there in 10-15 minutes. Then they cut back staff and the lines were 10-15 deep. I left a cart there of bullshit I didn't want to wait to get. I have to go to a different town, one of the only Walmarts near an affluent area, then there are no lines.  I may do that 1 time a year max. I hate that freaking place.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #563 on: February 19, 2015, 03:38:56 PM »

Hahahah clothes shopping there is weird. I shop for boxer briefs and white socks, very rarely. Those are the only clothes I ever bought there. All my work and leisure clothes I buy at really good outlet stores. At least down here they have ridiculous outlet stores, in comparison, they suck in NY (just outlet stores).

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #564 on: February 19, 2015, 03:53:06 PM »
Higher salary = better quality of employees.

Hang on, isn't this the point where you and dcm are supposed to tell us all about how they'll simply lay thousands of staff off and replace them with self service counters or robots or Mexicans or something?
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #565 on: February 19, 2015, 03:58:40 PM »

Hey, half a million people just got a $4k a year raise on average. Not bad.

Where did you see that $4k number?

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #566 on: February 19, 2015, 03:59:54 PM »

Hang on, isn't this the point where you and dcm are supposed to tell us all about how they'll simply lay thousands of staff off and replace them with self service counters or robots or Mexicans or something?

Oh don't you worry. These companies will figure out ways to make the money back. Now other retailers will be under pressure to raise wages. Walmart can afford a decrease in net profits, but maybe Target can't. For the PR they'll raise them, but think for a second that there aren't analysts working on new and creative ways for automation to cut the number of employees. The companies have a responsibility to their shareholders first and foremost, and shareholders don't like decreases in profits.
"Wrong!"

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #567 on: February 19, 2015, 04:01:41 PM »

Where did you see that $4k number?

I just did some quick math in my head. Average increase of $2 per hour. Average workweek 20 hours. $40 a week. 52 weeks a a year.

... and I got a new number: $2k.

In my original calculation I put down 40 hours a week.
"Wrong!"

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #568 on: February 19, 2015, 04:03:01 PM »
It says full time wages will go up an average of 6 cents per hour on average.  The workers making minimum wage will make an additional $1.75 per hour, but most of them are part time.  So at 20 hrs a week, that's $1800 a year.  Still good on Walmart and makes a difference, but let's not oversell it.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #569 on: February 19, 2015, 04:04:39 PM »

I just did some quick math in my head. Average increase of $2 per hour. Average workweek 20 hours. $40 a week. 52 weeks a a year.

... and I got a new number: $2k.

In my original calculation I put down 40 hours a week.

$1.75 is the max increase, not average.  They are boosting the minimum.  Again, it makes a difference for people trying to get a job, but it states in there that according to Walmart, the average full time wage will go up 6 cents an hour.

Tags: