Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 645631 times)

Ignatius J Reilly

Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #525 on: February 05, 2015, 02:13:49 PM »

Is this related to that guy who used to do infomercials back in the day about a new way of doing math etc.

I have no idea.  I don't remember those.  I just started doing stuff that way because I was in a magnet program that encouraged us to do things our way.  I'm impressed they're doing so well now with ALL students.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #526 on: February 05, 2015, 02:15:42 PM »

Common core would be freaking fantastic if we trained our teachers to be able to teach it.

Yeah, that could be an issue.  I've only seen it at a handful of schools that have good teachers.  My mom is a master teacher, mentor teacher, teacher trainer, etc and after decades on the job thinks it's the best thing she's seen, but she's also always been a hands on creative teacher.  NCLB was the one thing that made her tear her hair out because it set kids back so much.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #527 on: February 05, 2015, 02:26:58 PM »

I think a lot of the issue with common core is the way its taught. I saw some question like how to get 10 from 8+5.  They were trying to teach the kids that adding is easier if you know that 8+2=10 and 5-2=3 that you can get to 13. I probably just did as bad a job explaining it as the question did.

Something like the above concept I got intuitively at some point but other concepts I see from common core blow my mind.

Yeah, those "samples" that get shared around the Internet like they're somehow standard Common Core are really misleading.  The kids in my daughter's class did hands on math.  They'd draw it, break numbers apart, do whatever made sense to them to see how the process worked.  Because of that, the algorithm became just a natural discovery.  Common core doesn't teach "this is how you do it in a weird way".  It asks "how can you figure out how to do it", and then the algorithms make sense.  Like I said, these kids have never seen a times table or math facts, but they do math better than a lot of adults I know and actually understand how it works.

For my daughter, multiplication is just chunking (if she saw 12 x 13, her brain would just split 12 x 10 and 12 x 3 and then add them up intuitively).  Because she learned it on her own, it's a rapid process.  Algorithms would have taught her to multiply digits and carry and so many steps she wouldn't need.  When I first showed her how we multiply using the algorithm, it made sense to her immediately because she knew why it worked.

It's the same with the reading.  They're learning how to analyze instead of summarize.  That's the part that has frustrated English teachers at the high school level, because they do long, deep reading now, looking at quantifiable arguments instead of reading a book and just talking about it in whatever way you feel.  There's no BS.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #528 on: February 05, 2015, 02:37:46 PM »
For my daughter, multiplication is just chunking (if she saw 12 x 13, her brain would just split 12 x 10 and 12 x 3 and then add them up intuitively).  Because she learned it on her own, it's a rapid process.

That's how I do it too.

It's the same with the reading.  They're learning how to analyze instead of summarize.  That's the part that has frustrated English teachers at the high school level, because they do long, deep reading now, looking at quantifiable arguments instead of reading a book and just talking about it in whatever way you feel.  There's no BS.

But then how will we know what the blue curtains symbolize?

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #529 on: February 05, 2015, 02:52:50 PM »
Mind. Blown.

No wonder I've always sucked at math.
"Wrong!"

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #530 on: February 05, 2015, 03:17:11 PM »
The secret to do more complex math is to break it down. Everyone I know that's good at math can break numbers down into simpler forms and then add them back up. I have always done that and when sober I am cracker jack with math.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #531 on: February 05, 2015, 03:25:10 PM »
The secret to do more complex math is to break it down. Everyone I know that's good at math can break numbers down into simpler forms and then add them back up. I have always done that and when sober I am cracker jack with math.

And now it's the standard.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #532 on: February 05, 2015, 03:29:52 PM »
Mind. Blown.

No wonder I've always sucked at math.

All those images of 8 billion steps to get to the answer in that way are horse excrement.  It's not how they actually teach it.  It IS how some kids explain their reasoning, which is what they're encouraged to do.  Explain their thought process.  That's a skill that some adults still haven't mastered let alone a 6 year old.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #533 on: February 05, 2015, 03:55:08 PM »
I know nothing about Common Core except that Donald Trump is against it, and on that basis alone I know it's an excellent idea.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #534 on: February 15, 2015, 08:15:10 AM »
Someone I know shared this.

lol.

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #535 on: February 15, 2015, 08:37:18 AM »
They included freaking Rachel Ray?

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #536 on: February 15, 2015, 08:54:11 AM »
People care about Howard Dean's opinion?

ukilledkenny

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #537 on: February 15, 2015, 08:57:03 AM »
I care what Howard Dean thinks.

yaaaaaaaaaaaaw

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #538 on: February 15, 2015, 09:04:14 AM »
I care what Howard Dean thinks.

yaaaaaaaaaaaaw
Haha, I loved when Howard Stern made that version of Zeppelin's "Going to California" with Dean screaming the name of the states. Classic.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #539 on: February 15, 2015, 09:45:21 AM »
They included freaking Rachel Ray?
I was just thinking is Ray and
Degeneres the best examples of successful women they could come up with

Tags: