Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 645774 times)

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #510 on: February 05, 2015, 09:02:53 AM »
You know who's really disappointing? Rand Paul.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #511 on: February 05, 2015, 09:56:57 AM »

You know who's really disappointing? Rand Paul.

We are going to see so many anti-vac tea partiers now.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #512 on: February 05, 2015, 10:28:57 AM »
They're really sticking to the "government can't tell me what to do" narrative.
"Wrong!"

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #513 on: February 05, 2015, 10:33:34 AM »
They're really sticking to the "government can't tell me what to do" narrative.

It's more like "the opposite of whatever Obama says" since this all got rolling when Obama commented on the necessity of vaccines.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #514 on: February 05, 2015, 10:35:36 AM »

It's more like "the opposite of whatever Obama says" since this all got rolling when Obama commented on the necessity of vaccines.

That's what pisses me off about politics. Reminds me of the opposition to No Child Left Behind by Bush from the left, simply because it was introduced by Bush.
"Wrong!"

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #515 on: February 05, 2015, 10:51:02 AM »
That's what pisses me off about politics. Reminds me of the opposition to No Child Left Behind by Bush from the left, simply because it was introduced by Bush.

Well he did say "Mission accomplished".

Anyway, I completely agree with what you said in theory (I don't know about NCLB). Politics is nothing more than, " I don't like you so therefore I don't like your halfway decent idea."

We went from having the world best infrastructure to one that is literally crumbling. We have no bullet train, we have airports that are veritable mouse droppings compared to the great airports of the world. Why is this the case? Because our politicians are self serving faggots. I honestly believe we need to start over and get rid of every single one of those scumbags. We need to get politicians in that represent us not resent us.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 11:18:57 AM by Miamipuck »
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #516 on: February 05, 2015, 10:53:03 AM »

Lol.  No.  NCLB was opposed because it was excrement.  Talk to a teacher.  If anything, people resist educational chane because it's change.  That's why the Common Core, a legitimately excellent shift in curriculum development and teaching, has been roundly opposed by those with misinformation.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #517 on: February 05, 2015, 10:58:18 AM »
Lol.  No.  NCLB was opposed because it was excrement.  Talk to a teacher.  If anything, people resist educational chane because it's change.  That's why the Common Core, a legitimately excellent shift in curriculum development and teaching, has been roundly opposed by those with misinformation.

You think common core is good? I have seen the math component and honestly it makes me nuts. My friends hate it, their kids have to do a lot of that curriculum.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #518 on: February 05, 2015, 11:17:17 AM »
Yeah, my brother and his wife are both teachers and they hate common core. My wife and I hate trying to figure it out when my 7yo needs help with his math homework.

NCLB is awful too. We don't mature intellectually by catering to the lowest common denominator. You'd think the right would be more in favor of competition breeding winners in the education system.

In the end though, the reality is that there are very few politicians in it for the people on either side of the aisle. The two party system is a failure. As a society we've moved too far into black-or-white territory. On far too many issues today the majority have a "my way or nothing" opinion.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #519 on: February 05, 2015, 11:45:42 AM »

You think common core is good? I have seen the math component and honestly it makes me nuts. My friends hate it, their kids have to do a lot of that curriculum.

Yes.  People who don't like common core don't understand what it's doing.  My daughter's school has been using it for years.  She's in 2nd grade and explained the concept and logic behind multiplication well enough that my preschooler can now multiply.  She will never see a times table or have to memorize math facts, and she will be better at math because of it.

Common Core is basically teaching students to develop their own modes of understanding which all lead to memorization.  It's active learning and it's stronger by far.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #520 on: February 05, 2015, 11:47:37 AM »

Yeah, my brother and his wife are both teachers and they hate common core. My wife and I hate trying to figure it out when my 7yo needs help with his math homework.

NCLB is awful too. We don't mature intellectually by catering to the lowest common denominator. You'd think the right would be more in favor of competition breeding winners in the education system.

In the end though, the reality is that there are very few politicians in it for the people on either side of the aisle. The two party system is a failure. As a society we've moved too far into black-or-white territory. On far too many issues today the majority have a "my way or nothing" opinion.

I'm guessing your brother and his wife don't teach elementary school.  Wait until kids get to their rooms who have been raised in the system.  The teachers in my family have encountered resistance from teachers who don't want to change things and get stubborn, but it's such a better system.

It's going to be harder working with your kids because you learned in an algorithm-based system.  It's why we have such failures in math at higher levels and why kids go through and memorize math but never understand it.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #521 on: February 05, 2015, 11:49:42 AM »
Oh, and common core is as far from catering to the LCD as it gets, which it seems you'd appreciate.  The kids with the brightest minds will learn faster and be stronger in math.  It's funny because it's the way I intuitively did math when I was a kid, which is why I can still do and figure out just about anything mathematically.  I wasn't sure how well it would work with the average student, but after watching this school use it several years down the line of implementation, it's outstanding.

ons

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #522 on: February 05, 2015, 12:46:06 PM »

Common core would be freaking fantastic if we trained our teachers to be able to teach it.

ukilledkenny

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #523 on: February 05, 2015, 12:51:18 PM »
I think a lot of the issue with common core is the way its taught. I saw some question like how to get 10 from 8+5.  They were trying to teach the kids that adding is easier if you know that 8+2=10 and 5-2=3 that you can get to 13. I probably just did as bad a job explaining it as the question did.

Something like the above concept I got intuitively at some point but other concepts I see from common core blow my mind.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #524 on: February 05, 2015, 01:21:42 PM »

Oh, and common core is as far from catering to the LCD as it gets, which it seems you'd appreciate.  The kids with the brightest minds will learn faster and be stronger in math.  It's funny because it's the way I intuitively did math when I was a kid, which is why I can still do and figure out just about anything mathematically.  I wasn't sure how well it would work with the average student, but after watching this school use it several years down the line of implementation, it's outstanding.

Is this related to that guy who used to do infomercials back in the day about a new way of doing math etc.
"Wrong!"

Tags: