Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 645714 times)

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #465 on: November 21, 2014, 08:29:05 AM »
The oil will get refined and sold and hit the open market no matter what. The lack of this pipeline won't have an adverse effect on the industry, but it's silly to be against infrastructure improvements just because the industry that stands to benefit is unpopular for some reason. You more than anyone is outspoken against cheap political bullshit. This is a prime example except it's coming from the other side. Going against something for the sake of being against it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure there is an element that will go against anything and everything that said, just because you don't want a particular pipeline doesn't mean you're against the entire universe of oil infrastructure investments.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #466 on: November 21, 2014, 08:32:11 AM »

Sure there is an element that will go against anything and everything that said, just because you don't want a particular pipeline doesn't mean you're against the entire universe of oil infrastructure investments.

But there's literally no reason to be against a pipeline being built when there are already thousands of miles of pipelines being built. Politicians are playing with the constituents. That's all this is.

"Wrong!"

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #467 on: November 21, 2014, 08:33:21 AM »
The oil will get refined and sold and hit the open market no matter what. The lack of this pipeline won't have an adverse effect on the industry, but it's silly to be against infrastructure improvements just because the industry that stands to benefit is unpopular for some reason. You more than anyone is outspoken against cheap political bullshit. This is a prime example except it's coming from the other side. Going against something for the sake of being against it.

Infrastructure improvements for a bloated industry that we are/should be trying to move past? Just because it makes somebody money doesn't mean we have to do it.

IATA

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #468 on: November 21, 2014, 08:34:57 AM »
Oh no,  you can't take Canadian oil and make massive profits compared to the Canadian and local Americans meager pay. Oh no, the Canadian land won't be disfigured even more to the benefit of nobody here (at least in the interim).

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #469 on: November 21, 2014, 08:41:26 AM »

Infrastructure improvements for a bloated industry that we are/should be trying to move past? Just because it makes somebody money doesn't mean we have to do it.

You do know that the pipeline is entirely publicly funded right? And move past oil? There's more to oil than just gasoline for cars. Thousands of products are made with oil byproducts. It's an important industry that will never go away, and one that we aren't going to move past. Besides, some of the major investors of renewable energy are oil and gas companies, many of whom fund research into it. Mostly for the less sexy renewables like biofuel and hydro, which are far more efficient than solar and wind anyway.

Even if you want to speed up the development of renewables, we shouldn't ask the government for help. Hell, we didn't have to make the horse and carriage illegal for cars to get invented and become the standard.

"Wrong!"

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #470 on: November 21, 2014, 08:44:19 AM »
You do know that the pipeline is entirely publicly funded right?

You know that's not a selling point, right?

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #471 on: November 21, 2014, 08:46:50 AM »

You know that's not a selling point, right?

So you want to prevent an industry from expanding and making improvements using their own money just because?

"Wrong!"

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #472 on: November 21, 2014, 08:48:41 AM »
So you want to prevent an industry from expanding and making improvements using their own money just because?

It's not an industry that I support expansion of.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #473 on: November 21, 2014, 08:51:46 AM »

It's not an industry that I support expansion of.

So if you don't like smartphones, would it be right to ask the government to prevent Apple from building a factory?

"Wrong!"

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #474 on: November 21, 2014, 08:53:21 AM »

You do know that the pipeline is entirely publicly funded right? And move past oil? There's more to oil than just gasoline for cars. Thousands of products are made with oil byproducts. It's an important industry that will never go away, and one that we aren't going to move past. Besides, some of the major investors of renewable energy are oil and gas companies, many of whom fund research into it. Mostly for the less sexy renewables like biofuel and hydro, which are far more efficient than solar and wind anyway.

Even if you want to speed up the development of renewables, we shouldn't ask the government for help. Hell, we didn't have to make the horse and carriage illegal for cars to get invented and become the standard.

The horse and buggy weren't presenting a serious environmental threat.  I'm actually a big fan of the pipeline, just not on its own.  I want to see the pipeline as part of a package.  Invest heavily in new resources and use the pipeline as a way to bridge the gap between our current dependence on foreign oil and a future in which oil consumption is drastically reduced.  We aren't ready for that leap, and the pipeline would be a big benefit.  I just think it's asinine to keep supporting the oil industry as though it's perfectly benign.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #475 on: November 21, 2014, 08:55:32 AM »
The horse and buggy weren't presenting a serious environmental threat.  I'm actually a big fan of the pipeline, just not on its own.  I want to see the pipeline as part of a package.  Invest heavily in new resources and use the pipeline as a way to bridge the gap between our current dependence on foreign oil and a future in which oil consumption is drastically reduced.  We aren't ready for that leap, and the pipeline would be a big benefit.  I just think it's asinine to keep supporting the oil industry as though it's perfectly benign.

Actually the US is supposed to be oil independent with in the next year. Meaning our oil output will match or exceed our oil usage shortly if it hasn't already.

My biggest problem is that the assholes in congress will allow the industry to export, which to me is patently stupid.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #476 on: November 21, 2014, 09:00:41 AM »
So if you don't like smartphones, would it be right to ask the government to prevent Apple from building a factory?

Don't be ridiculous.

Apple doesn't want to pay American factory labor.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #477 on: November 21, 2014, 09:02:21 AM »
Actually the US is supposed to be oil independent with in the next year. Meaning our oil output will match or exceed our oil usage shortly if it hasn't already.

My biggest problem is that the assholes in congress will allow the industry to export, which to me is patently stupid.

But it'll make money, for somebody. Why do you hate money?

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #478 on: November 21, 2014, 09:05:15 AM »

What new resources? And with respect to lowering dependence on foreign oil, first of all oil is bought and sold in the open market, so no one buys Saudi oil, Iraqi oil, etc. It's like any other commodity. Besides, increasing output in North America will lessen the share of output from re ME, lessening it's importance. Isn't that what we'd want?

I'm not saying that the industry is perfect, but it does get a lot of unfair criticism. People don't respect just how dependent we all are on the industry, and not just for energy.

"Wrong!"

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #479 on: November 21, 2014, 09:07:54 AM »

But it'll make money, for somebody. Why do you hate money?

We should export the hell out of it and then get right back into the cycle of shoveling gobs of money to regions/countries of the world that hate us. That's really the American way.

Tags: