Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 645483 times)

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2013, 02:05:19 PM »
The countries on that liat are drastically smaller and different.  Comparing models for the usa to any of them is retarded.

I'm pretty certain that our population is bigger than the other 14 countries on that list combined

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2013, 02:13:46 PM »
Tommy, you can move the sliders around and change the positions a bit. The fact - FACT - is that Norway (as with most of the other Scandinavian countries) has one of the highest standards of living of anywhere in the world based on pretty much any sensible criteria you care to use, and to try and make a point of "but it costs $20 for a beer, and is that the sort of country we really want?" with a straight face makes you look like an utter buffoon.

Yeah, they have one of the highest standards of living... but so does the U.S and most other Western countries. The ranking depends on what criteria you want to use and when. Just because Norway shows up as #1 on some arbitrary list one year doesn't make their system the best. Besides, their country is 1/60th the size of the U.S. You can't even BEGIN to compare either country.

My point had nothing to do with any of these so-called quality of life statistics. The FACT is that the cost of living in Norway is much higher than the U.S. If the cost of living in the U.S were to all of a sudden rise 10pct, who do you think would be affected the most?
"Wrong!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2013, 02:24:58 PM »
Hang on a minute. You're the one who introduced Norway to the conversation and claimed that because bartenders have to be paid US$50K per annum it means that beer costs US$20 a pint, and "do we really want to live like that"? You compare Norway to the US, then when I point out why you're being stupid comparing Norway to the US, you accuse me of being stupid for comparing Norway to the US.

Have you considered a career with the Republican Party?
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2013, 02:27:21 PM »
Hang on a minute. You're the one who introduced Norway to the conversation and claimed that because bartenders have to be paid US$50K per annum it means that beer costs US$20 a pint, and "do we really want to live like that"? You compare Norway to the US, then when I point out why you're being stupid comparing Norway to the US, you accuse me of being stupid for comparing Norway to the US.

It's actually not entirely difficult to get on the Republican ballot for a citywide election in NYC, if he wanted. Though he'd probably want to pad the resume a little.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2013, 02:32:39 PM »

My point was that there are tradeoffs in having labor wage minimums. Norway is a good example because in order for the country to afford those minimums, not only does the government have to tax 25% of all goods, companies have to mark prices up as well. If that's what happens in a country of 5 million, can you even imagine what the ramifications would be here in the United States?
"Wrong!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2013, 02:35:14 PM »
But according to you and DCM, "their country is 1/60th the size of the U.S. You can't even BEGIN to compare either country." Despite the fact that you are doing.

Either the same economic principles apply to both countries in which case you can make your point but mine also stands, or they don't and your original point is complete hooey. You choose.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2013, 02:38:05 PM »
But according to you and DCM, "their country is 1/60th the size of the U.S. You can't even BEGIN to compare either country." Despite the fact that you are doing.

Either the same economic principles apply to both countries in which case you can make your point but mine also stands, or they don't and your original point is complete hooey. You choose.

To be fair he said we shouldn't do what they have.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2013, 02:41:26 PM »
To be fair he said we shouldn't do what they have.

But you can't compare them, because they're so much smaller than the US therefore the same principles don't apply. Your view, not mine.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2013, 02:42:30 PM »
But you can't compare them, because they're so much smaller than the US therefore the same principles don't apply. Your view, not mine.

My quote:

It's no coincidence that the countries with the highest cost of living also pay the highest minimum wage.

High minimum wage = high cost of living.

I'm not talking about standard of living or whatever nonsense you want to talk about. Cost of living is very quantifiable.
"Wrong!"

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2013, 02:43:13 PM »

...  That was the point. They are so different that their model isn't viable here.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2013, 02:43:43 PM »
maybe the thread title should change to "International Economics"
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2013, 02:46:36 PM »
My quote:

High minimum wage = high cost of living.

I'm not talking about standard of living or whatever nonsense you want to talk about. Cost of living is very quantifiable.

The fact that you think cost of living is more important than standard of living defines you perfectly.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2013, 02:47:31 PM »
The fact that you think cost of living is more important than standard of living defines you perfectly.

Cost of living is quantifiable. Standard of living is not. Why can't you get that through your head? Standard of living is very subjective.
"Wrong!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2013, 02:48:22 PM »
Cost of living is quantifiable. Standard of living is not. Why can't you get that through your head? Standard of living is very subjective.

No it isn't.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2013, 02:50:01 PM »
No it isn't.

It's really very simple.

Cost of living: the average cost of goods, services, rent, utilities, etc.

Standard of living: insert whatever statistic you want
"Wrong!"

Tags: