Author Topic: I hate Pro Football Focus  (Read 34495 times)

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
Re: I hate Pro Football Focus
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2016, 10:11:37 AM »
"Wrong!"

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2016, 11:02:01 AM »
I think we're better than that honestly but I'm not bothered by it. Figure Revis is top 5 at the position and Skrine is a top 10 slot corner. Just that alone should put is in the top third but PFF tends to dislike our players

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2016, 02:40:38 PM »
That's fair, I guess.

We're in the bottom half of the league?

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2016, 02:53:59 PM »
The problem is the gaping hole we have at CB2. Revis is still an elite corner, but Skrine is far better as a nickle than outside. I know a lot people love Marcus Williams, but to me he's another in a long line of corners that look good in limited action but will be exposed with a higher number of snaps. After that we just have question marks who don't stay healthy.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2016, 09:59:34 PM »
I don't think improving on Cromarties CB2 play from last season is outlandish
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2016, 09:49:52 AM »
I don't think improving on Cromarties CB2 play from last season is outlandish

Apart from Revis, who is definitely better than Cromartie (regardless of whatever you feel about his play last year)?

Williams maybe but I'm leery of him after exposure. Skrine may do well outside under Bowles but his history says he's better as a nickle. After that, we have a group that struggles just to get on the field, never mind how they play once out there.

In a perfect world, Williams excels with the opportunity outside and Skrine can continue in his role from last year. But that's far from a sure thing. That's why we don't deserve to be ranked in the top half of the league at the position, no matter how good Revis is.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2016, 10:05:08 AM »
Apart from Revis, who is definitely better than Cromartie (regardless of whatever you feel about his play last year)?

Williams maybe but I'm leery of him after exposure. Skrine may do well outside under Bowles but his history says he's better as a nickle. After that, we have a group that struggles just to get on the field, never mind how they play once out there.

In a perfect world, Williams excels with the opportunity outside and Skrine can continue in his role from last year. But that's far from a sure thing. That's why we don't deserve to be ranked in the top half of the league at the position, no matter how good Revis is.

Cro's problem was that he took too many chances and tried to make up for it with athleticism.  Basically he was trying to  make the big play and suffered in short/intermediate coverage because of it.  Last year he couldn't make up for it anymore and still didn't make the big plays. 

My hope is that between Williams and Skrine, they can be better in short/intermediate coverage than Cro. They may not get a ton of interceptions, but Cro didn't do that last year anyway.  I do think Williams may not do as well as last year because he won't be facing 3rd WRs anymore.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2016, 10:18:26 AM »
Cro's problem was that he took too many chances and tried to make up for it with athleticism.  Basically he was trying to  make the big play and suffered in short/intermediate coverage because of it.  Last year he couldn't make up for it anymore and still didn't make the big plays. 

My hope is that between Williams and Skrine, they can be better in short/intermediate coverage than Cro. They may not get a ton of interceptions, but Cro didn't do that last year anyway.  I do think Williams may not do as well as last year because he won't be facing 3rd WRs anymore.

Cro was playing hurt last year too. I'm not saying his play can't be replaced, I'm just leery. I like Williams, but we've seen more than our fair share of guys who look great in limited play then get blown away when asked to start.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2016, 11:42:51 AM »

Cro was playing hurt last year too. I'm not saying his play can't be replaced, I'm just leery. I like Williams, but we've seen more than our fair share of guys who look great in limited play then get blown away when asked to start.

Isn't there still a chance we bring him back on a vet minimum?
"Wrong!"

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2016, 11:52:02 AM »
Isn't there still a chance we bring him back on a vet minimum?
Yes.  Not likely though. Probably would have to have injuries, poor performance in camp, etc.  Bringing him back delays the youth movement.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2016, 11:45:14 AM »
https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-5-worst-nfl-quarterback-contracts/

Eli Manning has the worst contract of any QB in the NFL, apparently. Despite having a cap hit of less than $20M a year and playing probably as well as he has ever played.

I think that PFF genuinely hates New York teams. The idea that Eli's contract is worse than, say, Kaepernick's is insane.

Edit: Eli's cap hit is actually a little over $22M a year. In context though that's still decent value relative to a number of others in the league.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 11:48:42 AM by Johnny English »
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2016, 11:47:25 AM »
That website sure took a nosedive in respectability the last few years.
"Wrong!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2016, 01:14:05 PM »
In a surprising example of PFF being actually not excrement, they have produced their team of the last ten years and the Jets are well represented with two obvious candidates and one pretty surprising one:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-pff-all-decade-team/

QB is amusing, obvious saltiness is ensuing in the comments, on Twatter and on /r/nfl.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2016, 02:45:12 PM »
In a surprising example of PFF being actually not excrement, they have produced their team of the last ten years and the Jets are well represented with two obvious candidates and one pretty surprising one:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-pff-all-decade-team/

QB is amusing, obvious saltiness is ensuing in the comments, on Twatter and on /r/nfl.

That's a pretty well done list.

Mangold's selection reminds me of excrement I took a few years back (here or YDKF) for saying Mangold was a future HoFer. He'll make Canton someday.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2016, 03:54:54 PM »
That's a pretty well done list.

Mangold's selection reminds me of excrement I took a few years back (here or YDKF) for saying Mangold was a future HoFer. He'll make Canton someday.
I feel like that didn't happen.

Tags: