Author Topic: Good Movies  (Read 466562 times)

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
Re: Good Movies
« Reply #2790 on: November 08, 2019, 07:08:54 PM »
Gonna see Parasite tomorrow.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #2791 on: November 08, 2019, 08:55:58 PM »
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #2792 on: November 10, 2019, 09:16:25 AM »

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #2793 on: November 12, 2019, 09:46:44 AM »
Dr Sleep was well done.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #2794 on: November 22, 2019, 06:44:54 PM »
Just watched A Star is Born and I’m not gonna lie, I liked it more than I figured I would. Bradley Cooper brought his A game for sure.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2795 on: November 23, 2019, 04:09:15 AM »
Midsommar...eh

Saw this. I liked it but wasn't blown away.

Did anyone else see Hereditary? I'm not understanding the good reviews. Very slow and a pretty "who cares?" ending.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #2796 on: November 23, 2019, 06:40:14 AM »
Did anyone else see Hereditary? I'm not understanding the good reviews. Very slow and a pretty "who cares?" ending.

JACKASS

I'LL KILL YOU

(Hereditary is one of the best horror movies of the 2000s, possibly ever.  It was much better than Midsommar, which I liked as well.)

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #2797 on: November 23, 2019, 06:47:33 AM »
Parasite
Booksmart
Us
Tigers Are Not Afraid
Crawl
Midsommar
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Best of 2019 for me so far

Still have to see Uncut Gems, Knives Out, Monos, The Irishman, Queen & Slim, and The Lighthouse.

---

If you guys haven't seen Good Time, it's on Prime and it is a masterpiece. 
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 06:54:24 AM by Heismanberg »

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #2798 on: November 23, 2019, 08:10:05 AM »
Saw this. I liked it but wasn't blown away.

Yes, I agree with you completely, as did many critics. I was told at the time that I was just being contrary for the sake of it, the hivemind doesn't like to be defied.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #2799 on: November 23, 2019, 09:44:40 AM »
JACKASS

I'LL KILL YOU

(Hereditary is one of the best horror movies of the 2000s, possibly ever.  It was much better than Midsommar, which I liked as well.)
I pretty much agree with this post 100%

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #2800 on: November 23, 2019, 10:19:02 AM »
Yes, I agree with you completely, as did many critics. I was told at the time that I was just being contrary for the sake of it, the hivemind doesn't like to be defied.

This message is brought to you by the hivemind:

freak you

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #2801 on: November 23, 2019, 10:53:01 AM »
I value critic's opinions even less than Armond English's.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2802 on: November 23, 2019, 05:29:47 PM »
Specific problems I had with Hereditary:

-The coven of old people who hang out across the street from the school and wave/scream things felt completely ineffective.

-None of the characters were relatable; their suffering didn't translate into anything for me to feel. Toni Collette is a miniature artist who has deadlines she that she ignores. Gabrielle Byrne is...there.

-The family's suffering was completely contained to themselves so nothing for me to relate to as something that can effect the world overall.

-"You are Paimon!" Explanation came at the very end. Yeah the sigil was all over the place but it is so obscure that it would not register with 99% of people since archaic demonology is nor the most prevalent piece of leisure study. Just because something is obscure doesn't make it a good reference.

-The camera was focused on solely on Peter's big dumb face at thw ending so the big reveal essentially told through a voice-over at the end. I. freaking. Hate. Voice-overs.

-Toni Colette sawing her head off with piano wire at the end was just weird, not scary or entertaining.

-Her headless body just floating into Charli's tree house looked bad.

-My entire mindset throughout the movie was, "Ugh, what next?" It never evoked any actual feeling of dread for anyone on screen.

-The major plot points are too easy to miss. The whole bit about Gabriel Byrne getting the call that the grandmother's grace was desecrated was so low volume that it flew right past me the first time that I watched it which made him reviewing the email from the insurance adjusters seem bizarre; for what we have to pay for movie tickets I shouldn't have to rewatch a film 2 or 3 times to get the subplot clues that your supporting actor mumbles into a phone and quickly drops two seconds later, Ari Aster, you pretentious queynte.

-Gabriel Byrne was bad. Just really bad. I'd say he was phoning it in but I don't think he bothered to actually pick up a phone.

On the other hand, Brightburn was awesome and I really hope they keep producing the universe because a negative Justice League seems like a.great idea.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #2803 on: November 24, 2019, 02:48:31 AM »

I kind of didn't really like it.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #2804 on: November 24, 2019, 07:08:11 AM »
Specific problems I had with Hereditary:

-The coven of old people who hang out across the street from the school and wave/scream things felt completely ineffective.

-None of the characters were relatable; their suffering didn't translate into anything for me to feel. Toni Collette is a miniature artist who has deadlines she that she ignores. Gabrielle Byrne is...there.

-The family's suffering was completely contained to themselves so nothing for me to relate to as something that can effect the world overall.

-"You are Paimon!" Explanation came at the very end. Yeah the sigil was all over the place but it is so obscure that it would not register with 99% of people since archaic demonology is nor the most prevalent piece of leisure study. Just because something is obscure doesn't make it a good reference.

-The camera was focused on solely on Peter's big dumb face at thw ending so the big reveal essentially told through a voice-over at the end. I. freaking. Hate. Voice-overs.

-Toni Colette sawing her head off with piano wire at the end was just weird, not scary or entertaining.

-Her headless body just floating into Charli's tree house looked bad.

-My entire mindset throughout the movie was, "Ugh, what next?" It never evoked any actual feeling of dread for anyone on screen.

-The major plot points are too easy to miss. The whole bit about Gabriel Byrne getting the call that the grandmother's grace was desecrated was so low volume that it flew right past me the first time that I watched it which made him reviewing the email from the insurance adjusters seem bizarre; for what we have to pay for movie tickets I shouldn't have to rewatch a film 2 or 3 times to get the subplot clues that your supporting actor mumbles into a phone and quickly drops two seconds later, Ari Aster, you pretentious queynte.

-Gabriel Byrne was bad. Just really bad. I'd say he was phoning it in but I don't think he bothered to actually pick up a phone.

On the other hand, Brightburn was awesome and I really hope they keep producing the universe because a negative Justice League seems like a.great idea.

Meh, I outright disagree with most of this and the parts I do agree with (floating body) are total non issues.