Author Topic: Good Movies  (Read 466360 times)

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
Good Movies
« on: October 16, 2013, 10:23:36 PM »
Finally getting some time to catch up on some stuff...

First hour of Man of Steel was really good.  I'll have to watch the rest on Sunday night. 

Not a fan of Superman either, but the darkness really is a nice touch.  I feel like I'll be let down a bit with the rest of the movie, because that's what Snyder does...but it's pretty good so far.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
Re: Good Movies
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 05:56:34 PM »
I haven't seen American History X in forever.  So long that I forgot many of the plot points.  Watched it from the beginning on HBO last night.  I forgot how amazing Ed Norton used to be.  Great movie.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 08:45:33 AM »
I watched Prisoners last night. Not bad.
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 02:54:02 PM »
I watched Prisoners last night. Not bad.

Just 'not bad'?  As in, worth waiting for dvd 'not bad'?  This one looked like a winner from the previews and reviews.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 03:48:22 PM »
Just 'not bad'?  As in, worth waiting for dvd 'not bad'?  This one looked like a winner from the previews and reviews.

I really liked it, would recommend for others to watch.  It was pretty fucked up and had a plot that kept you curious the entire movie.  I think the common viewer might not like the genre or subject matter and say the movie was too long.  I had no problem with either.

I thought there were two really solid acting performances out of Huge Jackedman and Jake Gyllenhaal. I hate Jake Gyllenhaal.  Paul Dano's character was spot on.  freak Terrence Howard.
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

ScotlandJet

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 09:46:36 AM »
I really liked it, would recommend for others to watch.  It was pretty fucked up and had a plot that kept you curious the entire movie.  I think the common viewer might not like the genre or subject matter and say the movie was too long.  I had no problem with either.

I thought there were two really solid acting performances out of Huge Jackedman and Jake Gyllenhaal. I hate Jake Gyllenhaal.  Paul Dano's character was spot on.  freak Terrence Howard.

I watched Prisoners last night and agree with you. Great performances from both leads, Jackman was Oscar form, this was the best I've seen from  Jake Gill too.

A couple of unusual strands to the film to help build the tension but all in all a pretty good watch. Recommended.
...first prize a Cadillac Eldorado- second prize, a set of Steak Knives

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 10:14:37 AM »
I saw Prisoners 2 weeks ago.  Great movie. 

Go see it, Fen.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 05:10:28 PM »
I saw Prisoners 2 weeks ago.  Great movie. 

Go see it, Fen.

Trust me, it's on the top of my list.  Wifey is worried there will be some bits that are too much for her.  She got through Zero Dark Thirty just fine.  Would she OK with this?

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 11:02:01 PM »
Just watched Star Trek: Into Darkness. Now THAT excrement it is some proper sci-fi. Awesome fun.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 12:03:49 AM »
Just watched Star Trek: Into Darkness. Now THAT excrement it is some proper sci-fi. Awesome fun.

None of it is possible though, so the entire movie is a plot hole. 

ScotlandJet

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 02:56:27 AM »
Trust me, it's on the top of my list.  Wifey is worried there will be some bits that are too much for her.  She got through Zero Dark Thirty just fine.  Would she OK with this?

If she suffers from ophidiophobia there are a couple of uncomfortable moments but apart from that it's suspense and tension all the way.
...first prize a Cadillac Eldorado- second prize, a set of Steak Knives

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 08:41:14 AM »
None of it is possible though, so the entire movie is a plot hole. 

Except it's Star Trek which at no point uses reality as a device by which to ratchet up tension, set as it is in an entirely fictitious time and place, and therefore your point is obviously wrong.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 08:52:02 AM »
Except it's Star Trek which at no point uses reality as a device by which to ratchet up tension, set as it is in an entirely fictitious time and place, and therefore your point is obviously wrong.

A lot of Star Trek takes place on Earth.  Both it and Gravity are fictitious...it shouldn't matter if the one you didn't wasn't realistic.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 09:01:30 AM »

Well, Gravity takes place in an entirely ficticious time and place too. Case in point, the Chinese don't have a space station, and we discontinued the space shuttle.
"Wrong!"

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 05:46:07 PM »
I watched Let the Right One In the other night.  Swedish movie with subtitles.  Not as scary as I hoped but still a very good movie with one badass scene.