Author Topic: lolPats  (Read 210064 times)

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
Re: lolPats
« Reply #1425 on: April 23, 2020, 07:56:14 AM »
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/new-buccaneer-rob-gronkowski-didnt-really-retire-he-quit-patriots%3famp

Um, what?

He is the greatest tight end of all time, no question

He's not really even close to being that. I would take Tony Gonzalez every single time and that has nothing to do with being a Patriot hater. Gonzalez was a better receiver with far superior stats on worse teams for longer; about the only area in which Gronkowksi was better than him is his blocking.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #1426 on: April 23, 2020, 08:03:15 AM »
Um, what?

He's not really even close to being that. I would take Tony Gonzalez every single time and that has nothing to do with being a Patriot hater. Gonzalez was a better receiver with far superior stats on worse teams for longer; about the only area in which Gronkowksi was better than him is his blocking.

Gonzales may be the best receiving tight end ever, but he also played 17 seasons to build up those statistics. 

Gronk has only played 9 so far.

If I was building a team from the ground up and both players were in their prime, I'd take Gronk because of his blocking ability. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #1427 on: April 23, 2020, 08:17:28 AM »
Gonzales may be the best receiving tight end ever, but he also played 17 seasons to build up those statistics. 

Gronk has only played 9 so far.

If I was building a team from the ground up and both players were in their prime, I'd take Gronk because of his blocking ability. 

And Gronkowski was never going to be able to put up those kinds of stats because he has never been capable of playing for long enough. Durability is a quality that matters.

Gronkowski has also only ever played on great teams with one of the best QBs of all time throwing to him; Gonzalez built his stats with Elvis Grbac, Trent Green and Brodie Croyle as his QBs.

I'm taking Gonzalez every single time.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #1428 on: April 23, 2020, 08:29:42 AM »
Trent Green was really good

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1429 on: April 23, 2020, 09:11:13 AM »

I think his point was if you gave Gronk the same QBs, and same talent that Gonzales had around him, he wouldn't have appeared nearly as dominant as he did in New England.

Nobody accused Trent Green of being Brooks Bollinger....
Need a new one for a new board...

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #1430 on: April 23, 2020, 09:21:26 AM »
I think his point was if you gave Gronk the same QBs, and same talent that Gonzales had around him, he wouldn't have appeared nearly as dominant as he did in New England

I don't agree with that. 

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #1431 on: April 23, 2020, 09:22:31 AM »

I always wonder how his career and that Rams team would have shaken out had he not been injured and opened the way for Kurt Warner.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #1432 on: April 23, 2020, 09:35:59 AM »
I always wonder how his career and that Rams team would have shaken out had he not been injured and opened the way for Kurt Warner.

Vermeil took care of him.  Trent was always his guy. 

They had some really good runs in Kansas City when Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson were running all over the league.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #1433 on: April 23, 2020, 09:45:45 AM »

So was Matt Ryan.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #1434 on: April 23, 2020, 10:03:00 AM »

So was Matt Ryan.

I know that you're not trying to compare either of these QBs to prime Tom Brady.

Back to the original point, which is the claim that Gronkowski "is the greatest tight end of all time, no question". At the very least it's a massive freaking question.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #1435 on: April 23, 2020, 10:48:34 AM »
Patriots signing Marqise Lee to a one year deal.

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #1436 on: April 23, 2020, 11:01:32 AM »
At their peak Gronkowski was the greatest TE out of all of them but I agree that Tony Gonzalez is the GOAT statistically.

insanity

• Shaun Ellis

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #1438 on: April 23, 2020, 02:30:44 PM »
Calling Rob Gronkowski the greatest tight end of all time is like calling Darrelle Revis the greatest cornerback of all time.  Better than anyone in their prime, but too brief a prime. 

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1439 on: April 23, 2020, 02:49:14 PM »
Calling Rob Gronkowski the greatest tight end of all time is like calling Darrelle Revis the greatest cornerback of all time.  Better than anyone in their prime, but too brief a prime. 

Revis is a queynte, but I think there's always been far more talent at the cornerback position than tight end.

It's only fairly recently that we've seen the tight end position evolve so much. That the talent of the tight end position should be dramatically elevated in the future as the position continues to change.

There's a reason why the average #1 tight end makes way less money than a top corner or wideout