Author Topic: LOL NFL  (Read 108694 times)

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
Re: LOL NFL
« Reply #571 on: March 26, 2024, 09:40:33 AM »
I don't see any way that reviewing lots of calls wouldn't make games last 37 hours and stop every other play. I'd like to think some calls can be reviewed from NY without stoppage, but unless they have some crazy AI entity/bot that can determine calls on the fly, a lot of calls will require time to review and drag everything to a halt.

If it’s done by a guy in the booth it can take 1-2 seconds for most plays. Just like the “every scoring play is reviewed” and “every turnover is reviewed” most of the time takes ten seconds and we often forget they are reviewed. Those guys have access to a replay faster than the broadcast audience gets to see one and is mostly done before anyone realizes.

Dont confuse that type of review with a coaches challenge of a play where the ref on the field runs under a hood and watches the replay from 11 angles and then we restart play. That won’t be what happens 80+% of the time. Most things are seen and adjusted quickly without issue. Assuming the NFL actually wants that to happen of course
Need a new one for a new board...

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #572 on: March 26, 2024, 09:41:16 AM »
Hold on to your hats

https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1772627787574079988?t=L6rLdWF8ugj1yjOygcYsqg&s=19

Largely pointless. I was hoping they’d push it to week 13, last quarter of the season to go…
Need a new one for a new board...

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #573 on: March 26, 2024, 09:43:18 AM »
For catches, fumbles, stepping out of bounds, etc.  Those are not judgement calls with instant replay. 

We saw what happened with the pass interference reviews.  They are not going to make their crew members look bad on judgement calls. 

That's just stupid. MLB finally realized it's better to get it right. No one thinks any less of umpires now--not that anyone every thought highly of officials in the first place.

It's better to get it right. Games are won and lost on bad calls and there's no reason for it.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #574 on: March 26, 2024, 09:46:04 AM »
If it’s done by a guy in the booth it can take 1-2 seconds for most plays. Just like the “every scoring play is reviewed” and “every turnover is reviewed” most of the time takes ten seconds and we often forget they are reviewed. Those guys have access to a replay faster than the broadcast audience gets to see one and is mostly done before anyone realizes.

Dont confuse that type of review with a coaches challenge of a play where the ref on the field runs under a hood and watches the replay from 11 angles and then we restart play. That won’t be what happens 80+% of the time. Most things are seen and adjusted quickly without issue. Assuming the NFL actually wants that to happen of course

Exactly this. Again, we see multiple angles of the same play just in the time the offense takes with the huddle. Replay "professionals" would be doing this all game long and I would think would only point significant misses. I'd expect some judgement to still stand when it's "close."

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #575 on: March 26, 2024, 09:46:45 AM »
Largely pointless. I was hoping they’d push it to week 13, last quarter of the season to go…

Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #576 on: March 26, 2024, 10:10:21 AM »
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
NFL is planning to play another game this year on Christmas Day, which is on a Wednesday. So a Wednesday Christmas Day game coming.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #577 on: March 26, 2024, 10:12:15 AM »
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
NFL is planning to play another game this year on Christmas Day, which is on a Wednesday. So a Wednesday Christmas Day game coming.

We were at home Xmas Eve last season, I will be pissed if we're home Xmas Day this year.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #578 on: March 26, 2024, 02:43:35 PM »
Just play flag football from now on

Theyre basically just engineering arena football shootouts now and handicapping defenders every few years

Guys blow out ligaments doing non contact and we're gonna freak out about a few broken legs and ankles

It's football

I get trying to curtail CTE but this is dumb as hell

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #579 on: March 26, 2024, 06:18:38 PM »
Just play flag football from now on

Theyre basically just engineering arena football shootouts now and handicapping defenders every few years

Guys blow out ligaments doing non contact and we're gonna freak out about a few broken legs and ankles

It's football

I get trying to curtail CTE but this is dumb as hell

besides the obvious 'health' spin, it's obvious the nfl is using this to make the game more offense-oriented than it already is. defenders won't be able to make some of the tackles they are routinely making right now to get stops.

more breakaways, more yards, more points. more excitement, more money in the nfl's mind

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #580 on: March 26, 2024, 07:02:41 PM »
Also, CTE doesn't cause a problem for gamblers and fantasy players the way that torn ACLs and sprained ankles do. So it's obvious which one is a bigger issue.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #581 on: March 27, 2024, 10:54:36 AM »
If they want to make more plays reviewable to get more things correct, and it doesn't slow the game down much more, I'm OK with that. I'm skeptical it wouldn't slow the game down though.

However, I think it would end up causing more controversy, not less controversy. People will still argue about calls. Most RTP fouls are in a grey area and aren't that cut-and-dry.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #582 on: March 27, 2024, 11:40:13 AM »
If they want to make more plays reviewable to get more things correct, and it doesn't slow the game down much more, I'm OK with that. I'm skeptical it wouldn't slow the game down though.

However, I think it would end up causing more controversy, not less controversy. People will still argue about calls. Most RTP fouls are in a grey area and aren't that cut-and-dry.

They should make it clear that play stoppage and further review will only be for plays considered reasonable doubt.

A crew in the league office seeing the immediate replays should be able to determine pretty quickly whether something should remain the judgment call that was made, or warrants further review.

We see it every Sunday when former refs say on the broadcast whether a call will likely stand or not on replay. Some calls would still be questionable but they'd get a lot more right.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #583 on: March 29, 2024, 05:48:31 PM »
https://operations.nfl.com/updates/the-game/the-eagles-will-open-the-2024-season-in-brazil-on-friday-night-of-week-1/

The NFL announced that the Philadelphia Eagles will play as the designated team in the first regular season game in Brazil, as part of the 2024 International Games. The game will be played on Friday, Sept. 6, the first time the NFL has played a game on Friday night of its opening weekend in more than 50 years (St. Louis Cardinals at Los Angeles Rams, Sept. 18, 1970).

The game will take place in São Paulo at the Corinthians Arena. The Eagles' opponent and kickoff time will be announced closer to the 2024 NFL schedule revealed.

Tags: