Author Topic: Government Shutdown  (Read 8402 times)

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
Re: Government Shutdown
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2013, 03:15:49 PM »
Did anyone hear yesterday that one Representative basically said "We can't be embarassed. We have to get something out of this. I don't know what that something is, but something."

(That's not the exact quote, but it's close.)

It's absolutely sickening at this point. Our overall credit rating is once again at risk. I heard on the financial news this morning that analysts are afraid this could set us on a course for a downturn worse than the Great Depression. This garbage has to stop.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2013, 01:41:19 AM »
http://deadspin.com/government-shutdown-means-overseas-troops-cant-watch-s-1440659289

http://deadspin.com/government-shutdown-cancels-service-academy-sports-1434679157

Thats effed up

The nfl/mlb/nba should do something about it, like offer to pay for it

Someone should tell all these govt fucks to go freak themselves, and let the damn troops watch sports

Murrell2878

• Eric Smith
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2013, 05:44:09 PM »
Did anyone hear yesterday that one Representative basically said "We can't be embarassed. We have to get something out of this. I don't know what that something is, but something."

(That's not the exact quote, but it's close.)

It's absolutely sickening at this point. Our overall credit rating is once again at risk. I heard on the financial news this morning that analysts are afraid this could set us on a course for a downturn worse than the Great Depression. This garbage has to stop.

Yes. Yes, it does need to stop. It's a goddamn joke.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2013, 08:10:18 AM »
Wow thank god the Tea Party shut down the country, they accomplished everything on their list and made Amerika bettuh.

Ohwaiteasekond.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2013, 08:13:41 AM »
Well, all things considered, the shutdown had zero effect on the country.
"Wrong!"

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2013, 08:17:33 AM »
Yaaaay, we're open to blow some more cash!!

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2013, 08:17:52 AM »

fuse......lit.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2013, 08:37:44 AM »
Hahahah you really believe that?
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2013, 08:39:05 AM »
What did it really do in the long run? Did anyone actually believe that the country was going to default?
"Wrong!"

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2013, 08:47:42 AM »
Well I sure felt the sting of the tea party assholes as they shut the bond business down pretty good. I don't imagine mine was the only business those waste of good oxygen fucked over either.

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2013, 08:58:34 AM »
What did it really do in the long run? Did anyone actually believe that the country was going to default?

Some states that rely on tourism and parks were getting hit hard financially. Utah and New York passed laws to use state funding for parks. Montana was struggling as well.

There were no huge ramifications but it was a lot of bullshit to deal with for a couple weeks because the Republicans threw a hissy fit.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2013, 11:33:18 AM »

Right.

Except for now having to pay all those furloughed workers the back pay that they never did actual work to earn. Or the fact that the shutdown wasted enough money to pay for healthcare for 1 million families of four for a year. Or that the stock market opened lower today, even after the deal was already signed into law. Or the effect on businesses that rely on government contracts that didn't work for most of a month. Or the lost weeks of science for NASA just days after discovering water on Mars. Or as said by Pope, the states that had to dip into their own coffers to keep their tourism afloat.

All the while bolstering the argument that our government is unable to keep the country stable and so the dollar should no longer be the world standard (China is loving this). Or the growing argument that America is no longer capable of being a world leader.

Or the fact that we're now just over 2 months from the next shutdown where we'll have to suffer through all of this bullshit again.

Yup. Net zero effect.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2013, 11:36:33 AM »
Yes, but it had zero effect on Tommy, so in the end does any of that stuff actually matter?
A cross-dressing limey poofter

ons

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2013, 12:43:53 PM »
US shutdown hurts growth, cost economy $24 billion: S&P

Just lost a cool $24 billion to dick around for a couple weeks with nothing substantive changing whatsoever.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2013, 01:01:07 PM »
Just lost a cool $24 billion to dick around for a couple weeks with nothing substantive changing whatsoever.

But...but...it had zero overall effect...
----------------

I also just read that the amount lost during the shutdown was as much as NASA gets for an entire year. Plus two extra Curiosity rovers.

Tags: