Author Topic: Beyond: Two Souls  (Read 4997 times)

Ignatius J Reilly

Beyond: Two Souls
« on: October 12, 2013, 11:54:09 PM »
Not sure why we don't have a video game forum, but this game is even better than Heavy Rain.  There's a bit more action involved, but it's still essentially a playable movie.  My wife keeps asking to watch more...of a video game.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
Re: Beyond: Two Souls
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 11:55:16 PM »
I didn't think it was out yet. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 11:55:50 PM »
It came out on Tuesday.  We've already put in a ton of time.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 12:31:47 AM »

Never had (still dont) have an interest in the genre

I just thought it was incredibly interesting that when i saw a commercial for it the real actors in it (real as in people youd see in significant roles in mainstream movies) characters actually look exactly like them

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 01:31:04 AM »
Never had (still dont) have an interest in the genre

I just thought it was incredibly interesting that when i saw a commercial for it the real actors in it (real as in people youd see in significant roles in mainstream movies) characters actually look exactly like them

The genre like supernatural game or the gameplay?  In terms of the former, I never play the Res Evil/Silent Hill style games, but I can't imagine they're quite like this one.  It's unique.  In terms of gameplay, it's supposed to be more like an experience than an actual game.  I don't know.  I'd recommend anyone interested but uncertain rent it and give it a shot.  You could probably beat it in a couple of days of heavy play.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 01:45:53 AM »
The genre like supernatural game or the gameplay?  In terms of the former, I never play the Res Evil/Silent Hill style games, but I can't imagine they're quite like this one.  It's unique.  In terms of gameplay, it's supposed to be more like an experience than an actual game.  I don't know.  I'd recommend anyone interested but uncertain rent it and give it a shot.  You could probably beat it in a couple of days of heavy play.

Gameplay

Both the part that id consider it an "adventure" game and the fact that cinematics constitute a large part of the experience.

I think the only way I could get into an adventure game is if they made it an mmo

JFIF

• Shaun Ellis
  • Head Bent over, Raised Up Posterior
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 03:34:54 AM »
Ive been really excited for this game. I've heard mixed reviews which made me apprehensive , but Heavy Rain was one of my favorite gaming experiences ever. So if it's like that or better, I'll definitely enjoy it.

The one thing I read is that it's less open ended than Heavy Rain where the main characters can actually die off.

Coop did you ever end up playing the walking dead from telltale ? Pretty sure that's another one your wife will enjoy also.

JFIF

• Shaun Ellis
  • Head Bent over, Raised Up Posterior
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 03:39:39 AM »
Heavy Rain and the walking dead (telltale) are two of the best entertainment experiences I've ever had period. People like dcm who dismiss  a game  like that off the bat are doing themselves a disservice.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 06:20:30 AM »
Ive been really excited for this game. I've heard mixed reviews which made me apprehensive , but Heavy Rain was one of my favorite gaming experiences ever. So if it's like that or better, I'll definitely enjoy it.

The one thing I read is that it's less open ended than Heavy Rain where the main characters can actually die off.

Coop did you ever end up playing the walking dead from telltale ? Pretty sure that's another one your wife will enjoy also.

Haven't picked up Beyond yet, but man I want to, but it makes sense that the main protagonist isn't accidentally (or purposefully) kill able in this one. Unlike in HR there is one protagonist, and she is played by an extremely big time actor (well for the video game genre anyways, but still pretty big in mainstream media). That was one of my favorite aspects of HR, but nothing that would make me dislike Beyond if it wasn't an aspect they built in.
Need a new one for a new board...

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 08:12:09 AM »
So it's heavy rain with better acting?

I had so much fun playing Heavy Rain. I think I played it for 6 or 7 hours straight from the time I bought it after work to 4am or something. Crazy.
"Wrong!"

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 10:08:11 AM »
Didn't L.A. Noire do the same thing?

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 10:23:12 AM »

Here's why you can't die: the game isn't linear.  It jumps around.  There's a timeline before each 'level'.  When you start the game, it has one event on it.  The events get added as you play them, but they're all out of order.  So you'll play as an adult, then as a child.  Then events which were alluded to get dropped in.  So, the gameplay is all over the place, filling in gaps and putting events between others.  It seems confusing, but it's not that hard to keep track of.  It works really well.  I also like that it has levels because you have the option to replay individual levels.  There's variance in the way that those can play out, so there are some that I think I'll end up redoing when the game's over.

I never played The Walking Dead, but I remember you talking about it.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 10:24:04 AM »
Didn't L.A. Noire do the same thing?

Yes, but Quantic Dream is on a whole other level with it.

The PS4 game they're developing is going to be insane.

Hemi

• Laveranues Coles
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2013, 03:37:46 PM »
Tried the demo yesterday, thought it was pretty damn good. Good storyline, and it is fun to play around as the other soul and sneak about.
Ryan Dungey #5 KTM
2015 AMA Supercross Champion
2015 AMA Motocross Champion

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 10:22:38 PM »
Daaaaaaaaamn.  Just finished the game.  Daaaaaaaaaaamn.

Tags: