Author Topic: Tyron Smith to get 8-year extension from Cowboys  (Read 11173 times)

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
Re: Tyron Smith to get 8-year extension from Cowboys
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2014, 04:36:15 PM »
After checking, the Cowboys can clear about $17m in cap space by releasing both Henry Melton and Brandon Carr next offseason. I don't know how much guaranteed money Carr still has left on his contract (which pays him about $10m per year) but Melton has none left, so conceivably the Cowboys could franchise Bryant next season (the franchise tag for receivers right now is approx. $12m).
And just remember it's extremely extremely probable that they work out a long term contract with him after tagging him, drastically lowering his cap number

It's very unlikely they tag em and just have him play it out on a one year deal

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2014, 04:56:21 PM »
The best chance of the Cowboys letting go of Bryant is if he stages a holdout (which just became exponentially more likely), since he's only set to make just above $1m this season.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2014, 05:00:28 PM »
The best chance of the Cowboys letting go of Bryant is if he stages a holdout (which just became exponentially more likely), since he's only set to make just above $1m this season.
If he goes on the trade market under with his current contract it's for nothing less than a 1st and 3rd.

And I'd imagine it's even more than that

After all we got a 1st and 4th for our bundle of sticks, and he was only a corner  demanding the largest contract of all time for his position.

I don't think Dez would go on the block, simply because his values too high making reasonable compensation unlikely

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2014, 05:09:56 PM »
If he goes on the trade market under with his current contract it's for nothing less than a 1st and 3rd.

Dez Bryant is worth a first and a third if he agrees to a longterm contract.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2014, 05:12:41 PM »
Dez Bryant is worth a first and a third if he agrees to a longterm contract.
He's under contract for pennies, and then you can tag em

Getting him to take a long-term deal would be easy, and the team to trade for em would have leverage

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2014, 05:57:32 PM »
When Brandon Marshall was traded to the Dolphins back in 2010, he was 26 years old and a top-5 receiver in the league (basically, what Bryant is now). The Fins got him for two second round picks. I think that's a good benchmark.

Remember, when we traded Revis he was considered the best cornerback in the league (albeit, coming off a torn ACL) and the Bucs were the only team willing to give up a 1st and a conditional 3rd while paying Revis $16m a year.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 06:03:23 PM by Andrew Ryan »

JFIF

• Shaun Ellis
  • Head Bent over, Raised Up Posterior
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2014, 06:10:23 PM »
When Brandon Marshall was traded to the Dolphins back in 2010, he was 26 years old and a top-5 receiver in the league (basically, what Bryant is now). The Fins got him for two second round picks. I think that's a good benchmark.

Remember, when we traded Revis he was consideredthe best cornerback in the league (albeit, coming off a torn ACL) and the Bucs were the only team willing to give up a 1st and a conditional 3rd while paying Revis $16m a year.

The dolphins were stupid and Brandon Marshall just had an incident at a night club at the time, which was Not that long after he and his wife had a domestic dispute.

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2014, 06:31:13 PM »
The dolphins were stupid and Brandon Marshall just had an incident at a night club at the time, which was Not that long after he and his wife had a domestic dispute.

And Dez Bryant is a similar headcase. What's your point?

Cane

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2014, 06:31:37 PM »
Smith deserved a long term deal; kid is a top five tackle or, at absolute worst, top 6 or 7 at 23 years old.

JFIF

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2014, 06:52:14 PM »
And Dez Bryant is a similar headcase. What's your point?

Dez had immaturity problems, but never real legal issues. The thing was his mom wasn't a big deal. Obviously Bmarsh got help but at the time it looked like his career was about to be derailed.  He was potentially damaged goods.

Dez hasn't even hit the prime of his career yet

JFIF

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2014, 06:54:33 PM »
Edit: I thought you meant the Bears trade.  Which is why i said the dolphins were stupid

The Broncos to the Dolphins still sort of applies. Marshall was suspended and was still extremely volatile. Dez is passionate and boisterous, but he never had the problems Marshall had.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2014, 06:59:22 PM »
Not to mention Dez Is still under a rookie contract,  for crap money

Marshall was a bigger headcase with more legal issues, and a less ideal contract situation.

Marshall was a team being forced to trade a toxic asset

If Dallas trades him it's because of their finances

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2014, 08:31:12 PM »
Funny that Tyron Smith gets a huge contract before Dez even though Tyron was drafted a year later

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2014, 08:42:41 PM »
Dez had immaturity problems, but never real legal issues. The thing was his mom wasn't a big deal. Obviously Bmarsh got help but at the time it looked like his career was about to be derailed.  He was potentially damaged goods.

Dez hasn't even hit the prime of his career yet

I know it's bleacher report and it's a few years old but I'm on my phone and I don't give a excrement...

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1001852-dez-bryants-legal-troubles-further-hurts-his-and-dallas-cowboys-image

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2014, 08:43:55 PM »
Funny that Tyron Smith gets a huge contract before Dez even though Tyron was drafted a year later

It's not funny to Dez Bryant.

Tags: cowboys