Author Topic: Tyron Smith to get 8-year extension from Cowboys  (Read 11174 times)

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
Re: Tyron Smith to get 8-year extension from Cowboys
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 02:47:25 PM »
If he's an elite LT thatmdeal will be an absolute steal in 3-4 years when he's making 10 mill per year through the prime of his playing days.

Until Jerry restructures it 37 times. 

Prediction:  Tyron Smith will be the Cowboys LT in 2042 at $39 million per year.

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 02:50:35 PM »
There's no assurance that the Cowboys would even be able to fit Bryant's franchise tag under their salary cap. DeMarco Murray is set to be a free agent next offseason, too and they may want to re-sign him.

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 02:53:30 PM »
The Cowboys have no shot at winning the NFC East this year so if their intent is to move on from Bryant they might as well trade him now. He's a top-five receiver in this league and he should warrant a second round pick (at the very least).

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 02:54:25 PM »
The Cowboys have no shot at winning the NFC East this year so if their intent is to move on from Bryant they might as well trade him now. He's a top-five receiver in this league and he should warrant a second round pick (at the very least).

Tell that to Jerry Jones.

If the move Dez Bryant before his contract is up, Tony Romo will probably kill Jones. 

He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2014, 02:54:41 PM »
There's no assurance that the Cowboys would even be able to fit Bryant's franchise tag under their salary cap. DeMarco Murray is set to be a free agent next offseason, too and they may want to re-sign him.
I can assure you that when you have a top 5 wr who is 25 years old, you can figure out how to get the money to franchise tag him.

Might have to cut some good players even with post June designations next year or something or freak your cap in the future, but you make it happen

I think they'll try to extend either him or Murray before the offseason so they can tag the other

But Dez will not be a UFA

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2014, 02:56:55 PM »
GregSimmonsKSAT:  After Cowboys announce , 8 year 110 mil dollar extension, Dez Bryant visibly upset in parking lot with staffer and teammate.

Go get him, Idzik

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2014, 03:02:21 PM »
I agree that he won't (or at least shouldn't) hit unrestricted free agency next offseason but it's not as easy to move cap space around as you think (particularly when you have as many godawful contracts as the Cowboys). It was a different situation in New Orleans because they were able to trade Sproles and let go of vets like Lance Moore, Will Smith, and Jon Vilma.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2014, 03:04:05 PM »
That makes him a top five LT. The best tackle in the game gets $11.5M per.

"I think we're all agreed that my client is a far better player at the position than Tyron Smith, so he's worth at least $14M per year over the same length of contract. And we want half of it guaranteed. And if you won't pay that then we know three other teams who will."

While I believe you, I am utterly shocked LTs don't get paid more. If you are picking top 5 there are usually 3 positions you are desperately looking for, QB, Pass Rusher, and LT. You would think their salaries would be much higher considering they are protecting the ultimate investment and in a lot of cases, the $100 million dollar man.
Need a new one for a new board...

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2014, 03:10:07 PM »
Go get him, Idzik

I'm convinced that if trader Mike was still our GM, Dez would have become a Jet yesterday.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2014, 03:11:29 PM »
I'm convinced that if trader Mike was still our GM, Dez would have become a Jet yesterday.

We probably wouldn't have the cap space to re-sign him.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2014, 03:22:39 PM »
While I believe you, I am utterly shocked LTs don't get paid more. If you are picking top 5 there are usually 3 positions you are desperately looking for, QB, Pass Rusher, and LT. You would think their salaries would be much higher considering they are protecting the ultimate investment and in a lot of cases, the $100 million dollar man.

Yeah, but this isn't The Blind Side. I think it's been discussed at some length that left tackles aren't as standalone important as perhaps they might once have been; after all, we've got one of the best paid LTs in the league and our QBs have spent the last three seasons staring at the floodlights on a regular basis. I think you have to spread the money across the line a little more in this day and age.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2014, 03:26:10 PM »
We probably wouldn't have the cap space to re-sign him.

Good point. Then again, if we did, he'd probably become a malcontent or get caught wearing headphones on an airplane.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2014, 03:26:56 PM »
Yeah, but this isn't The Blind Side. I think it's been discussed at some length that left tackles aren't as standalone important as perhaps they might once have been; after all, we've got one of the best paid LTs in the league and our QBs have spent the last three seasons staring at the floodlights on a regular basis. I think you have to spread the money across the line a little more in this day and age.
Or just get a great QB and wrs that'll make your excrement OL look better

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2014, 03:27:21 PM »

That's true, but I don't think OL salaries as a whole are all the high (at least that's my perception). Either way, if there's a corner out there worth 14 million a year, there has to be an LT worth that I would think.
Need a new one for a new board...

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2014, 04:25:51 PM »
After checking, the Cowboys can clear about $17m in cap space by releasing both Henry Melton and Brandon Carr next offseason. I don't know how much guaranteed money Carr still has left on his contract (which pays him about $10m per year) but Melton has none left, so conceivably the Cowboys could franchise Bryant next season (the franchise tag for receivers right now is approx. $12m).

Tags: cowboys