Author Topic: Biggest competitions on the roster?  (Read 3712 times)

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
Biggest competitions on the roster?
« on: July 29, 2014, 08:30:23 PM »
Originally I was gonna post this as a reply in the other thread, but all the talk about Idzik and competition got me thinking, is there really that much competition on the roster ?  And which are the biggest/most important for the team?

As far as offense there really isnt much. I think the only "real" competition is Aboushi vs Winters and kind of the receiver matchup (though I think Decker, Hill/Nelson + Kerley seems to be a relatively safe guess for the guys who see the field frequently, with Hills health being the biggest factor in that competition)

Then of course Geno vs himself (and Vick).

With Sudfeld as a wildcard to rise to #1/#2 possibly?

As far as defense I feel like all the competition is at cornerback.

With #2/3/4/5 pretty much all being up in the air (though it seems pretty likely the Milliner 1 with Patterson/Wilson being a tossup of who can play outside/slot better)

Everything else seems like deep depth matchups.

Maybe Ellis vs Snacks is a possibility ?

Then I think you have like Bellore vs George

Mcintyre vs Barnes vs Babin (who should be the favorite)

And maybe our #4/5 safeties competing

Is there really that much competition ? I feel like for a team that has preached competition over and over again with somewhat of a rebuilding roster, that there would be a crap ton of it. Barring injuries I think most people on these boards could guess at least 19/22 starters correctly before even preseason game 1, which doesnt really sound like flourishing competition. 

Though now that I think of it, I do expect a ton of competition for special teams, by far the biggest of the Rex Ryan era
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 08:57:52 PM by Badger »

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
Re: Biggest competitions on the roster ?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 08:52:50 PM »
Good competition at fullback.  One one one and close.

Last safety spot is anybody's.   Last corner spot between Lankster and Dowling. 

Depending on how many they keep, the last spot at LB, WR, and O-line will be close.

Snacks is starting unless he gets hurt.  He was too good last year.  Ellis will still play plenty.

I can't imagine Wilson playing anywhere but the slot.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 08:55:52 PM by bojanglesman »

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
Re: Biggest competitions on the roster ?
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 08:54:38 PM »
Pretty sure this was sparked by my post about the medias ridiculous need to claim there is actually a QB competition.

From a starter perspective, I would say there are 3 potentials, OG, CB and S

Like you said, Oboushi vs. Winters (and possibly vs. Colon for 2 spots, but I expect Colon is all but handed one)

McDougal vs. Patterson (highly tilted against the rookie despite the numerous positive reports.)

Pryor, Allen and Landry for 2 safety spots. It's highly expected than Pryor takes one, but given that he already has a concussion, and he may end up being slowed in his development depending on how long he is out. Meaning he may not start the season as a starter. As to the other spot, it's experience vs. youth/speed.

Otherwise it's all depth battles/ST competition.

Edit: Bo's right, that FB competition is probably the most up in the air (yet the least talked about in the media)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 08:58:56 PM by Libero_2 »
Need a new one for a new board...

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
Re: Biggest competitions on the roster?
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 09:01:29 PM »
Probably because FB might be the most boring position next to long snapper.  It's not exciting enough for the media to care.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 09:03:30 PM »
Sounds like Hill is really pushing hard for that #2 spot.  The competition between him and Nelson is better than I expected.

Is that Schum guy any real competition for Quigley at punter?  I'm surprised they didn't do more there.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 09:06:50 PM by bojanglesman »

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 09:09:58 PM »
Probably because FB might be the most boring position next to long snapper.  It's not exciting enough for the media to care.

Tommy Bohanon only played on 35% of offensive snaps last season

And that was with injuries/suspensions at both tight end and running back.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 09:11:16 PM »
I wonder how Gates and Schlauderaff will manage to worm their way on the roster this year.

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 09:47:51 PM »
Smith vs. Vick isn't a real competition. Vick's glory days are long over and I expect Geno to show a lot of improvement during the preseason.

While CJ is the odds-on favorite to lead the backfield in carries this season, it should be interesting to see how we decide to split the carries between him and Ivory.

I'm most excited to see who emerges as the starter across from Decker. I desperately want this year to be Hill's coming out party.

If Winters and Aboushi both perform well enough to start then we should feel very confident about the guard position moving forward.

With Amaro struggling to adjust to the pro's and Cumberland not impressing, the door is wide open for Sudfeld.

It should be interesting to see who emerges as the third pass rusher between Barnes and Babin.

I'm hoping that McDougle takes Patterson's job sooner rather than later.

The coaching staff clearly likes the combo of Pryor and Allen at safety but I still expect Landry to be on the field at least fifty percent of the time.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 10:14:06 PM »
Glad that training camp has some actual competition. The competitive spirit should also carry over into the regular season as winning the starting job ain't a guarantee. You'll still have to compete to keep your job during the season. Love it.
"Wrong!"

ons

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 07:32:52 AM »
I think there's a ton of room for competition to stay on the 53 man roster which theoretically creates an overall deeper team, even if most of the starters are locked up. That being said, both guard spots are open as far as I believe, as well as slot and #2 CB. Competition for all of the snaps at safety - I don't think Pryor, Allen, or Landry are locked into a starting role.

I think Kerley and Decker will be on the field most of the time, but Hill/Nelson is a real competition.

I think Calvin Pace could easily be knocked off his starting role.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 08:34:16 AM »
I think there's a ton of room for competition to stay on the 53 man roster which theoretically creates an overall deeper team, even if most of the starters are locked up. That being said, both guard spots are open as far as I believe, as well as slot and #2 CB. Competition for all of the snaps at safety - I don't think Pryor, Allen, or Landry are locked into a starting role.

I think Kerley and Decker will be on the field most of the time, but Hill/Nelson is a real competition.

I think Calvin Pace could easily be knocked off his starting role.
Is it really a competition for #2 and 3 corner?

Especially with how often we have 3 corners on the field, and how big slot receivers are in today's league (a good chunk of the time they're better than #2 wrs)

I feel like it's less of a competition, and more of just seeing who is a better fit inside and whose a better fit outside

But I think it's a near certainty that it's gonna be Wilson and Patterson, and McDougle won't be seeing the field often, and if he does it'll be as depth and or dime duty

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 08:40:00 AM »
Is it really a competition for #2 and 3 corner?

Especially with how often we have 3 corners on the field, and how big slot receivers are in today's league (a good chunk of the time they're better than #2 wrs)

I feel like it's less of a competition, and more of just seeing who is a better fit inside and whose a better fit outside

But I think it's a near certainty that it's gonna be Wilson and Patterson, and McDougle won't be seeing the field often, and if he does it'll be as depth and or dime duty

Everything I have been reading has said that McDougle has been great for a rookie. That said, a 3rd round rookie probably will not start over a vet right out of the shoot but it's entirely possible that he can play his way into the starting roster.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 09:37:50 AM »
McDougle is going to play.  Ryan is going to have three corners out there a lot. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 11:31:59 AM »
I think there is more competition than anyone is giving credit. Here are the positions/players that I think are set in stone right now:

C Mangold
DE Mo
DE SRich
LT Brick
WR1 Decker
WR3 Kerley
ILB Davis
K Folk

That's it, and in that order of confidence. Every other position is up for grabs. Kerley is definitely slotted in as #3, and could possibly move up to 2 if no one has a strong enough camp.

Giacommini (sp?) is likely the RT. Winters is likely a starting guard. CJ is likely the primary back with Ivory the goal line stud. Milliner is likely the #1 corner. Snacks is likely the starting nose. Coples is a likely starter on the outside. If Pryor is healthy, he's likely starting too. Geno is likely the starting QB, but I wouldn't count Vick out in the first week of camp. These are all likely though. I don't believe any of these guys is guaranteed anything.

This is arguably the most competitive roster the Jets have had in years. I don't think it's been this competitive under Rex before now. It's not just about depth either. There is legitimate competition at almost every position.

As far as the "biggest" competition? I'd say OLB. Pace, Barnes, Coples, and Babin will fight for reps. The others would be whether Ivory can fight his way to more carries over CJ, and who will take the #2 receiver job.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 11:40:07 AM »
I think there is more competition than anyone is giving credit. Here are the positions/players that I think are set in stone right now:

C Mangold
DE Mo
DE SRich
LT Brick
WR1 Decker
WR3 Kerley
ILB Davis
K Folk

That's it, and in that order of confidence. Every other position is up for grabs. Kerley is definitely slotted in as #3, and could possibly move up to 2 if no one has a strong enough camp.

Giacommini (sp?) is likely the RT. Winters is likely a starting guard. CJ is likely the primary back with Ivory the goal line stud. Milliner is likely the #1 corner. Snacks is likely the starting nose. Coples is a likely starter on the outside. If Pryor is healthy, he's likely starting too. Geno is likely the starting QB, but I wouldn't count Vick out in the first week of camp. These are all likely though. I don't believe any of these guys is guaranteed anything.

This is arguably the most competitive roster the Jets have had in years. I don't think it's been this competitive under Rex before now. It's not just about depth either. There is legitimate competition at almost every position.

As far as the "biggest" competition? I'd say OLB. Pace, Barnes, Coples, and Babin will fight for reps. The others would be whether Ivory can fight his way to more carries over CJ, and who will take the #2 receiver job.

Who's threatening to usurp David Harris?

Tags: