Author Topic: Jets are the Leaders in a New Era of QB Depth Management  (Read 2809 times)

EmDiggy

• Drew Coleman
Jets are the Leaders in a New Era of QB Depth Management
« on: July 28, 2014, 11:29:51 AM »
Good morning Jets fans! In our Monday 1st & Forever column, Gene Clemons looks at the Jets QB situation and talks about how they are setting the standard for how it should be managed

Here's the article, let me know your thoughts

FBGP's 1st and Forever - Jets May Be the Leaders of a New Era

Edit: fixed your link.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 11:33:31 AM by Johnny English »

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
Re: Jets are the Leaders in a New Era of QB Depth Management
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 11:54:20 AM »
When you're tailoring your offense around a QB, it definitely makes sense to try to have backups with similar skill sets.

I guess the argument against this would be to have the best backups possible, regardless of fit.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 01:00:25 PM »
When you're tailoring your offense around a QB, it definitely makes sense to try to have backups with similar skill sets.

I guess the argument against this would be to have the best backups possible, regardless of fit.
What's the point of having a better backup, if he'd be garbage in your system?

I mean the rest of the team has to know the offense after all

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 01:06:54 PM »
Is Tajh Boyd a similar type of player to Vick and Geno? I haven't seen enough of him to hold a view. Also, the article conveniently overlooks the fact that Matt Sims is likely to be the Jets' #3 QB on the roster with Boyd on the practice squad.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 01:28:50 PM »
Is Tajh Boyd a similar type of player to Vick and Geno? I haven't seen enough of him to hold a view. Also, the article conveniently overlooks the fact that Matt Sims is likely to be the Jets' #3 QB on the roster with Boyd on the practice squad.

It also overlooks the fact that they may in theory have similar attributes, but they are not in fact similar skill levels, thus the offense would still need to be tweaked in the event of a QB injury.

If Geno goes down, our offense will shuffle some with Vick at the helm. If god forbid both Geno and Vick go down and Boyd is starting, the offense will be getting simplified in some serious ways.
Need a new one for a new board...

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 02:16:15 PM »
Matt Simms isn't black? 

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 02:17:03 PM »
What's the point of having a better backup, if he'd be garbage in your system?

I mean the rest of the team has to know the offense after all

Obviously if your backup was suited to another system then you'd start changing the offense in the event the backup had to play for an extended amount of time.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 02:29:21 PM »
Obviously if your backup was suited to another system then you'd start changing the offense in the event the backup had to play for an extended amount of time.
So hey our QB went down, let's have the other 10 guys on the field learn a new offense to cater to the backup?

And he'll it would really be like other 15+ guys once you include depth and rotational guys

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 02:30:58 PM »
So hey our QB went down, let's have the other 10 guys on the field learn a new offense to cater to the backup?

And he'll it would really be like other 15+ guys once you include depth and rotational guys

Right, because you'll always have the choice of two equally talented players to be your backup.

Or maybe you'll have a 7 who's not tailored to the offense and a 5 who fits it. Who do you choose?

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 02:38:26 PM »
Right, because you'll always have the choice of two equally talented players to be your backup.

Or maybe you'll have a 7 who's not tailored to the offense and a 5 who fits it. Who do you choose?
You take the guy who will perform better in your system

If you have a guy who is a 7 and a guy who is a  5,but the guy who is a 7 performs like a 4 in your system you take the 5.

You don't take the 7 and then say instead were going to have the other 14 offensive players learn a new system on the fly.

Even with how important a QB is, I can't imagine the net effect would be positive taking a better backup QB and making every single offensive player change to cater to him.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 02:41:07 PM »
You take the guy who will perform better in your system

If you have a guy who is a 7 and a guy who is a  5,but the guy who is a 7 performs like a 4 in your system you take the 5.

That's not really quantifiable though, until you've seen him play in your offense.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 02:48:21 PM »
That's not really quantifiable though, until you've seen him play in your offense.
Let me put it differently

If you run an option offense or something, you're not going to sign an old slow immobile QB as a backup because he's the best guy available

You're gonna get the guy whose skillset best fits what you wanna do.

You're not gonna take the immobile guy and then suddenly completley overhaul your offense to fit his skills

You might change some things a little, but nothing crazy
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 02:53:06 PM by dcm1602 »

Tags: jets