Author Topic: Around the House  (Read 5995 times)

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
Around the House
« on: July 27, 2014, 08:29:54 PM »
So I think I'm going to try my hand at putting in some flooring in my house sometime in the near future.  Before we moved in several years ago, the previous owner put in some shitty new carpet to make it look good temporarily.  It's held up pretty well, but I hate carpet.  I'd much prefer to have solid flooring throughout.  I'm probably going to go with laminate because I like how it tends to resist scratches and dings better and it's generally cheaper.  I'm willing to deal with the negatives that it doesn't quite look as "real" as real hardwoods and you can't refinish it.

I am no Mr. Fixit, but I have some tools and I'm only mildly retarded, so I think I can figure it out.  I have a room above the garage that I don't use much, so that will be my practice room before I do the rest.  Probably gonna head to Lumber Liquidators.  Any advice?

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
Re: Around the House
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 08:41:06 PM »
Wood laminate isn't bad. I have that upstairs. It's a little cheaper, too, which helps. I didn't install it though, we got a tit deal.

I'm helping my father-in-law re-do my entire kitchen though. All, while about to have my 2nd kid. Good times *yay*

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 08:43:44 PM »
we got a tit deal.

Where the freak did you shop for flooring, Rick's Cabaret?

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 08:49:10 PM »
Where the freak did you shop for flooring, Rick's Cabaret?
Empire. Probably not an option where you live, but I'm sure if you shopped around you could get a good deal and have it done in one day.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 08:58:14 PM »
I am no Mr. Fixit, but I have some tools and I'm only mildly retarded, so I think I can figure it out.

I can Fixit I have tools....................
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 09:11:26 PM »
Get a good table saw with adjustable speed, then practice making some cuts at different speeds and see which works best. Laminate chips if you get it wrong (I seem to remember a slower speed worked better but it's a while since I did laminate).

Also, don't try and cheat. Take your baseboards off first, and make sure you put a decent foam liner on the sub floor. It seems a bit pointless but it will make a big difference when the floor is down.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 09:19:01 PM »
Get a good table saw with adjustable speed, then practice making some cuts at different speeds and see which works best. Laminate chips if you get it wrong (I seem to remember a slower speed worked better but it's a while since I did laminate).

Also, don't try and cheat. Take your baseboards off first, and make sure you put a decent foam liner on the sub floor. It seems a bit pointless but it will make a big difference when the floor is down.

Thanks man.  I'm going to try to get one of the laminates with the foam already attached to the boards.  Good idea about practicing cutting first.  I wondered how it would hold up.  I have a good circular saw, hopefully that'll do.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 09:52:53 PM »
Table saw makes life much easier. You can hire them from Home Depot for about $20 a day.

I've not seen laminate with foam attached, but it seems like it would probably be more expensive than buying a roll of the stuff for $30 and just laying it.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 07:18:56 AM »
I can Fixit I have tools....................
"Make up your mind dude. Is he gonna excrement or is he gonna kill us?"

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 08:03:07 AM »
"Make up your mind dude. Is he gonna excrement or is he gonna kill us?"

"First he's gonna excrement, then he's gonna kill us."

When Bo said," I can fixit, I have tools", I thought he was referring to that scene.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 08:13:45 AM »
I know jack excrement about fixit stuff, but my parents bought a house upstate with some gorgeous wood laminate flooring. After living in a carpeted apt my entire life, it's such a breath of fresh air being up at their new house. Good on you for making the switch.

I mean, you'll probably fail miserably, but I wish you the best of luck in finding a guy who knows what he's doing to do it for you.
"Wrong!"

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 08:18:13 AM »
I know jack excrement about fixit stuff, but my parents bought a house upstate with some gorgeous wood laminate flooring. After living in a carpeted apt my entire life, it's such a breath of fresh air being up at their new house. Good on you for making the switch.

I mean, you'll probably fail miserably, but I wish you the best of luck in finding a guy who knows what he's doing to do it for you.

never change
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 04:08:44 PM »
Well it looks like I might have to shelve the flooring project for a while.  Air handler for the AC and heat is leaking water and it doesn't look too good.  It's pretty old.  Might have  to get a whole new everything.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 06:13:59 PM »
Well it looks like I might have to shelve the flooring project for a while.  Air handler for the AC and heat is leaking water and it doesn't look too good.  It's pretty old.  Might have  to get a whole new everything.

should i lock the thread?
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 06:46:36 PM »
should i lock the thread?
Looks like I'm out for the tailgate. 

OK I'm not.