Author Topic: LED or Plasma TV?  (Read 11299 times)

IATA

• Shaun Ellis
Re: LED or Plasma TV?
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2014, 06:41:10 PM »
You grew up with plasma TV. We had 500 lbs 30 inch tubes

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2014, 06:51:43 PM »

I remember when I was a freshman college I had bought a 32 inch TV that we legit struggled to carry to the dorm with just 2 people

And it really wasn't that long ago

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2014, 07:41:41 PM »
But there's no real reason why plasma isn't doing well.

Except for the fact that they're really heavy, use a lot of power and don't work very well if you've got windows in the room. I understand why they may still be a legitimate choice for cinephiles, but for the average family room LCD makes a lot more sense.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2014, 07:42:49 PM »

We'll I was living at home another grad school and job hunting literally 13 months ago. So yeah it wasn't exactly a long time ago.
Need a new one for a new board...

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2014, 07:47:23 PM »
Except for the fact that they're really heavy, use a lot of power and don't work very well if you've got windows in the room. I understand why they may still be a legitimate choice for cinephiles, but for the average family room LCD makes a lot more sense.
I don't think they're that heavy, and the energy thing has improved as well

As far as light, I absolutely agree on that though. Slipped my mind before, but makes sense.

But plasma often does offer superior quality for the cost to alternatives, and I would think that counts for something

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2014, 07:51:07 PM »
I don't think they're that heavy, and the energy thing has improved as well

As far as light, I absolutely agree on that though. Slipped my mind before, but makes sense.

But plasma often does offer superior quality for the cost to alternatives, and I would think that counts for something

It does with people who are into the whole AV thing, which is primarily nerdy guys, which is why people who would consider purchasing a plasma TV are disproportionately represented on a football messageboard.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2014, 08:02:14 PM »

I have windows.  Never had a problem.  The best TVs ever made were plasmas.  People bought LCD mostly because of the conditions in the big box stores.  LCD makes sense if you don't care about picture quality.

Tags: