Author Topic: LED or Plasma TV?  (Read 11295 times)

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
Re: LED or Plasma TV?
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2014, 08:38:04 PM »
You'd be surprised.  I see that excrement turned on waaaaay too often.  It's stupid.  I've been at the homes of people who even work in film and have had to say "Uh, you realize it doesn't have to look like that, right?"  I turn off auto-motion plus and it's mindblowing.  Some have, as Tommy said, just gotten used to it.

I'm not sure when it even became a thing.  I had my first HDTV back in 2002 and there were certainly no settings like that.  It was also CRT, though, which may have played a role.

I just checked this morning, and my LED TV here doesn't even have that setting. The one in my parents' living room back home is fully loaded with the Soap Opera effect. To be honest, I kind of liked it. Made the movies feel more "real".
"Wrong!"

eyedea

• Laveranues Coles
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2014, 02:49:42 PM »
Ok, so I bought a TV. I went with the Sharp Aquos 65 inch. Dell had a deal, I got a $350.00 gift card with the TV, so I will prob end up buying a PS4 with it. not a bad deal the TV was 1,200 and I am basically getting a PS4 for free.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A7525022&dgc=CJ&cid=47997&lid=4279734&acd=11809187-683153-

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2014, 03:07:45 PM »
Ok, so I bought a TV. I went with the Sharp Aquos 65 inch. Dell had a deal, I got a $350.00 gift card with the TV, so I will prob end up buying a PS4 with it. not a bad deal the TV was 1,200 and I am basically getting a PS4 for free.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A7525022&dgc=CJ&cid=47997&lid=4279734&acd=11809187-683153-
I can see someone uses slickdeals

IATA

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2014, 06:53:36 PM »
My Sil is finally leaving my rent free basement, so I get to finally have my man cave back. No natural light (I blocked the only window in an effort to drain any light from her life and get her out. It worked), I'm thinking of getting an HD projector and turning a wall into the screen. I've seen some demos and the quality looks fantastic in no light.

Anyone have any experience with this? And/or suggestions?

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2014, 07:40:42 PM »

My Sil is finally leaving my rent free basement, so I get to finally have my man cave back. No natural light (I blocked the only window in an effort to drain any light from her life and get her out. It worked), I'm thinking of getting an HD projector and turning a wall into the screen. I've seen some demos and the quality looks fantastic in no light.

Anyone have any experience with this? And/or suggestions?

That's a great idea if you have the space.  Depending on how long my TV holds out, I've had my eye on the 5020UB from Epson.

When you say turn the wall into a screen, do you mean hang a projector, or project onto the screen?  Don't do the former.

IATA

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2014, 07:42:43 PM »
It's about 20 feet long and 15 feet wide, so space isn't an issue. I was planning on getting something like goo systems and turning the wall itself into a projection surface.

eyedea

• Laveranues Coles
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2014, 08:38:14 AM »
I can see someone uses slickdeals

Hahah Bingo!

eyedea

• Laveranues Coles
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2014, 08:42:28 AM »
It's about 20 feet long and 15 feet wide, so space isn't an issue. I was planning on getting something like goo systems and turning the wall itself into a projection surface.

The're are some paints that you can use that's half the price of the goosystem. I saw somewhere a guy was projecting on the wall he wanted to use with paint swatches taped to it, good idea to get a sence of what colors work.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2014, 12:52:23 PM »

Why not just hang a screen?  I've never ever seen a wall work as well, regardless of how good the attempt was at proper painting.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2014, 12:53:51 PM »

The're are some paints that you can use that's half the price of the goosystem. I saw somewhere a guy was projecting on the wall he wanted to use with paint swatches taped to it, good idea to get a sence of what colors work.

Color is easy, so it isn't as much of an issue as consistency and texture.  Projection will bring out the subtle differences and imperfections.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2014, 08:23:10 PM »
Was just reading an article today about the future of plasma TVs

Only a few companies still make them

Samsung Ceo said that he doesn't see plasma having a future, and they're too expensive to make 4khd versions

And that 2014 could be the last year Samsung makes plasma TVs

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2014, 09:56:41 PM »

Was just reading an article today about the future of plasma TVs

Only a few companies still make them

Samsung Ceo said that he doesn't see plasma having a future, and they're too expensive to make 4khd versions

And that 2014 could be the last year Samsung makes plasma TVs

I'm honestly shocked Samsung has held out as long as it has.  Plasma has been dying a slow death for years.

JFIF

• Shaun Ellis
  • Head Bent over, Raised Up Posterior
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2014, 10:20:41 AM »
Is this still even a debate? I had no idea they were still manufacturing plasmas. Get an LED dude.

yeah, if this wasn't on a relatively new site, i would have thought this was a 2-3 year old thread

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2014, 04:43:10 PM »
yeah, if this wasn't on a relatively new site, i would have thought this was a 2-3 year old thread
It's an interesting thing though

I was reading about why plasmas are dying, and there really weren't any good answers.

Pretty much they said that the original plasma tvs had burn in (like 10+ years ago) and it got a bad rep for that. And then led-lcd just sounds "newer"  to people

But there's no real reason why plasma isn't doing well.

They perform just as good as other tvs, sometimes even better.

Yet for some reason people just don't wanna buy em

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2014, 04:45:53 PM »
My biggest pet peeve about plasmas is the glare on them in well lit rooms. I sat on the couch at my parents house growing up more easily seeing my own reflection than what I was trying to watch and I vowed I would never buy myself a plasma tv for that reason.
Need a new one for a new board...

Tags: