Author Topic: LED or Plasma TV?  (Read 11296 times)

Ignatius J Reilly

Re: LED or Plasma TV?
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 11:37:24 AM »

In my living room we have a 60 inch plasma (Samsung) next to a 60 inch LED (Visio).

The plasma is best watched at night or in a room with little to no natural light.  I find the plasma displays movies and sports the best. 

The LED is good in all light settings and has comparable quality to the plasma. I think video games look great on the LED.

I think the brand of TV you get and how much you pay are more important than LED vs Plasma. Then again I am not that picky.

Yeah, brand and quality are more important than format.  The highest quality plasmas and highest quality LCDs (LED or not), however, are not comparable.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2014, 11:40:17 AM »
Yeah, brand and quality are more important than format.  The highest quality plasmas and highest quality LCDs (LED or not), however, are not comparable.

Is that where OLEDs come into competition?  What would the highest standard plasma be? I've owned a Samsung and an LG, both of which were great, but also pretty affordable so I would imagine there are some upscale models.
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2014, 11:46:25 AM »
Also clearly not married.

that's rude, My TV and I have been together for over a year.
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 11:49:47 AM »
I would just wait til 4K drops in price considerably

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 11:50:14 AM »
You'd be surprised.  I see that excrement turned on waaaaay too often.  It's stupid.  I've been at the homes of people who even work in film and have had to say "Uh, you realize it doesn't have to look like that, right?"  I turn off auto-motion plus and it's mindblowing.  Some have, as Tommy said, just gotten used to it.

I'm not sure when it even became a thing.  I had my first HDTV back in 2002 and there were certainly no settings like that.  It was also CRT, though, which may have played a role.

AMP+ is great for sport though.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2014, 11:57:50 AM »
You'd be surprised.  I see that excrement turned on waaaaay too often.  It's stupid.  I've been at the homes of people who even work in film and have had to say "Uh, you realize it doesn't have to look like that, right?"  I turn off auto-motion plus and it's mindblowing.  Some have, as Tommy said, just gotten used to it.

I'm not sure when it even became a thing.  I had my first HDTV back in 2002 and there were certainly no settings like that.  It was also CRT, though, which may have played a role.

I started noticing it around 2010-2011. Mostly on the TVs in bars or waiting rooms where nobody gave enough of a excrement to do anything about it. My wife and I babysat someone's kid at their house for a weekend around then and their TV was like that. I couldn't figure out why Community was giving me an uncanny valley vibe. I didn't know what it was yet, so I figured it was the just the way things would be from now on.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 12:00:17 PM by Badger »

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 12:43:58 PM »

AMP+ is great for sport though.

Sure if your TV requires it.  It was developed to avoid the blue that's not a factor on DLP and Plasma TVs anyway.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2014, 12:51:26 PM »

Is that where OLEDs come into competition?  What would the highest standard plasma be? I've owned a Samsung and an LG, both of which were great, but also pretty affordable so I would imagine there are some upscale models.

Yes.  OLEDs are a step up and a great alternative, but again, big box stores make the quality poor anyway so people feel ok buying cheaper models.  You notice the difference in home settings.

Pioneer made the best TVs hands down.  Their plasmas sell for more used in many cases than comparable new ones.  However, they were too high price low volume and decided to abandon the TV game.  Panasonic picked up the slack, but plasma just wasn't as popular.  The TVs are a bit heavier than LCD, hotter, and not as brightly lit.  They just have a much better picture.  More cinematic by far.  Again, though, the average consumer just doesn't realize it because he accepts what he has.

Jetaho

• Laveranues Coles
  • HAPPY BIRTH
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2014, 01:32:21 PM »
If there isn't a lot of natural light in your basement, i'd go with Plasma.

I don't see how shitty beer is relevant.

I got a Samsung 55" LED about 6 months ago and I love it.  Great picture.  It has all the apps, but they can be a bit glitchy - apps on my PS3 seem to be more reliable.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2014, 02:11:55 PM »
Do you guys remember the first few weeks after switching to HD? Movies looked weird at first, almost too fluid and real. Took some getting used to. Now its just the new normal. Sure it can look better, but not like that first leap into 1080.
I'm sure it was connectors not keeping up, and refresh rates being too low

The new 4k tvs only support 30hz with the old connectors, so it'll be a little funky

But the increased resolution is absolutely freaking massive the difference is said to be as big as the original leap to hd and I believe it

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2014, 02:14:48 PM »
I would just wait til 4K drops in price considerably
That's right now

With the change from hdmi1.4 to  2.0 they're liquidating the old excrement so as long as you don't need a really high refresh rate the old stuff should be sufficient for a bargain

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2014, 02:19:42 PM »
Sure if your TV requires it.  It was developed to avoid the blue that's not a factor on DLP and Plasma TVs anyway.

I couldn't tell you the science behind it, but it really makes a difference for basketball above most other things.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2014, 02:38:29 PM »

I couldn't tell you the science behind it, but it really makes a difference for basketball above most other things.

Yeah, that's what it was designed for (sports and some gaming), but people leave it on for other shows and movies and I can't understand why.

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2014, 04:10:02 PM »
That's right now

With the change from hdmi1.4 to  2.0 they're liquidating the old excrement so as long as you don't need a really high refresh rate the old stuff should be sufficient for a bargain
edited
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 04:15:09 PM by Pope »

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2014, 04:16:16 PM »
I'm not as worried about the HDMI 1.4. The 30 or even 60 HZ rate isn't worth it. In a year or two 55 inch 4K at 120HZ will be available for $1500 or so. With the limited content available and shitty up scaling 4k isn't worth it unless you're dead set on wasting money being an early adopter.
Hdmi1.4 is the reason it only supports 30hz

I've heard of people using it for some content (computer art, stock tickers etc)
And looking spectacular

I strongly considered buying a 4khd TV to use as a PC monitor, but I wasn't convinced my pc had then hardware without making massive upgrades

Tags: