Author Topic: Andre Johnson drama  (Read 12752 times)

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
Re: Andre Johnson drama
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2014, 08:50:16 PM »
IMO, mortgaging a player's salary is what causes a poor cap situation, such as signing bonuses.  Johnson would be all cash spending, and actually helps the Jets, IMO.  Of course, it reduces the cap roll over for next year, but does help us with the cap floor. 

I imagine free agency and contract extensions also will help us reach the cap floor.

Were talking about giving away at LEAST 3rd round pick, and a crap ton of cash.

The question isnt does Andre Johnson make us a better team ? Because im pretty sure every person would unquestionably say he does.

The question is does Andre Johnson make this team better in the short and long term more so than a 3rd round pick and 10 million dollars in free agency would.

So would you prefer 33 year old Andre, or say Eric Decker + one of either (Demario Davis, Dexter McDougle, Brian Winters etc)

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2014, 09:01:38 PM »
We will not have an issue with a cap floor by the time we sign Mo Wilk and Snacks next year.  Any cash you spend on Andre Johnson is cash that isn't left over after signing your own players  next year.  They may explore resigning Kerley too.  Blowing money because it's there is never a good idea in sports or real life.

I am not suggesting we will, but right now it is a concern.  IMO, pretty good concern to have after dealing with the opposite.  I am not even advocating we should, it just is not a bad financial move.  I have absolutely no idea where we stand with the cap floor. 

EDIT:  (overthecap.com)

2013 - 97,931,919 - 123,000,000
2014 - 91,216,851 - 133,000,000
2015 - 72,255,684 - 133,000,000
2016 - 60,478,755 - 133,000,000

Total - 321,883,209 - 522,000,000
Percentage - 61%
Additional Cash Spending - 28% - 146,160,000

That is a excrement load of additional cash spending, and the 2015 and 2016 cap space numbers will go higher. 
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 09:32:41 PM by hawk »

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2014, 09:06:08 PM »
I imagine free agency and contract extensions also will help us reach the cap floor.

Were talking about giving away at LEAST 3rd round pick, and a crap ton of cash.

The question isnt does Andre Johnson make us a better team ? Because im pretty sure every person would unquestionably say he does.

The question is does Andre Johnson make this team better in the short and long term more so than a 3rd round pick and 10 million dollars in free agency would.

So would you prefer 33 year old Andre, or say Eric Decker + one of either (Demario Davis, Dexter McDougle, Brian Winters etc)

A third round pick is a small price to pay, and so is $10 Million a year for a top tier WR, even at 33.  Geno Smith does need a security blanket, and right now we don't have that.  Johnson would not be a poor decision, and Not having Johnson would not be a poor decision.  If it were to happen great, if weren't so what. 

The mentoring aspect is a huge need as well.  IMO.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2014, 10:24:25 PM »
The money alone isnt an issue, its the money AND some early draft picks.

Especially if what if Geno plays like excrement?

Suddenly we have a huge need at QB, are short an early round pick (likely a 3rd) wasted money on an older receiver.

Would have a hard time addressing our team/depth if we have to use a 1st on a qb (and thats before considering we could need to trade up to get a legitimate qb prospect)

Then were missing a 1st + 3rd (best case scenario)

With needs at basically center/guard/rt possibly still wr (if we cut Andre), olb, cornerback, mlb

Its almost like the opposite of what you wanna do. Were a rebuilding team still, so there no point in making an aggressive move that would hurt us in the long run.

If he plays like excrement without Andre Johnson I can already give you the excuses we will hear to buy Geno another year:

Eric Decker isn't a true #1
Stephen Hill is trash who needs to go so we can get a real WR
Kerley isn't a #2 but purely a slot guy we tried to play outside
All those rookie WRs are trash and/or weren't ready to contribute as mid-late round rookies anyways

If Geno Smith sucks with Decker, Johnson and Kerley I think the narrative will be pretty consistent: Geno Smith freaking sucks and we need a QB.

You could argue (pretty easily IMO) that a 3rd round pick and $10 million dollars is a pretty cheap way to find out whether you need a QB or not. On top of it, you assumed that Geno still sucked, what if adding Andre Johnson was the move that put him over the top in his development? How can you put a price on that?

Also we just had a 12 pick draft class, giving up one pick next year isn't the end of the world from a draft/depth development perspective.

I agree spending for the sake of spending is retarded, which is why I'd rather put money into Andre Johnson as opposed to coming into next year and having to overpay FAs just to reach the floor. Maybe we don't have to do that, but if we did then I'd rather spend the money on Andre Johnson to try and develop a freaking QB for the first time since Pennington was drafted.
Need a new one for a new board...

Tags: texans