Author Topic: Tennis  (Read 4859 times)

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
Re: Tennis
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2021, 09:00:35 AM »
the narrative that 'djokovic may win as many titles as nadal and federer but isn't as loved as both' is honestly the most tiring thing about the game of tennis. it literally makes no rational sense and is only a thing because people act like it's a thing and keep saying it's a thing

novak amassed all of his titles playing against both nadal and fed while they were at the top. fed fluffed up his record in the early part of his career getting wins over trash like andy roddick and leyton hewitt

people literally 'don't love' novak because of imitations of other tennis players he did >10 years ago and because he's loud on the court. it's infuriating hearing that excrement literally every single grand slam tournament

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2021, 10:26:12 AM »
the narrative that 'djokovic may win as many titles as nadal and federer but isn't as loved as both' is honestly the most tiring thing about the game of tennis. it literally makes no rational sense and is only a thing because people act like it's a thing and keep saying it's a thing

novak amassed all of his titles playing against both nadal and fed while they were at the top. fed fluffed up his record in the early part of his career getting wins over trash like andy roddick and leyton hewitt

people literally 'don't love' novak because of imitations of other tennis players he did >10 years ago and because he's loud on the court. it's infuriating hearing that excrement literally every single grand slam tournament
Also because he's an antivax knobhead.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2021, 11:53:30 AM »
Also because he's an antivax knobhead.

there you go, the anti-vax thing plus the local tennis event he held that ended up being a spreader event is something that's actually a tangible critique of him being an unlikeable dumbass, but it's only something that happened a year ago. otherwise, the lack of love over a 10+ year period for arguably (and soon the undeniably) GOAT men's tennis player literally does my mind in

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2021, 01:04:18 PM »
there you go, the anti-vax thing plus the local tennis event he held that ended up being a spreader event is something that's actually a tangible critique of him being an unlikeable dumbass, but it's only something that happened a year ago. otherwise, the lack of love over a 10+ year period for arguably (and soon the undeniably) GOAT men's tennis player literally does my mind in

I think the other problem is that Federer and Nadal, both with legitimate claims to be the GOAT on their favoured surfaces, are also incredibly likeable people, so he suffers in the inevitable comparison to either.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2021, 01:05:16 PM »
I think the other problem is that Federer and Nadal, both with legitimate claims to be the GOAT on their favoured surfaces, are also incredibly likeable people, so he suffers in the inevitable comparison to either.

Agassi and Sampras were more entertaining.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2021, 01:12:46 PM »
Agassi and Sampras were more entertaining.

Let's be clear here, all tennis is dull. I'm really not sure how you make an argument for Sampras being entertaining though, he made Djokovic look like McEnroe - Sampras took the baseline power game to a whole new level.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2021, 01:28:39 PM »
Let's be clear here, all tennis is dull. I'm really not sure how you make an argument for Sampras being entertaining though, he made Djokovic look like McEnroe - Sampras took the baseline power game to a whole new level.

Sampras was dull enough to land Ms. Vaughn from Billy Madison.  If that's considered dull, you can call me Miles Davis.
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2022, 08:28:48 PM »
Let's be clear here, all tennis is dull.
I'm really not sure how you make an argument for Sampras being entertaining though, he made Djokovic look like McEnroe -
Sampras took the baseline power game to a whole new level.
Quote from: Robert Zimmerman
Come mothers and fathers throughout the land, and don't criticize what you can't understand...

Tbh, Sampras was more of a serve bot (and it was Lendl who was the progenitor of the modern 'power baseline game')

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2022, 10:50:58 AM »
TIL Boris Becker was thrown in jail last month for fraud.

Tags: