Author Topic: Potential FA QB's after this year?  (Read 4301 times)

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
Potential FA QB's after this year?
« on: June 30, 2014, 12:35:11 PM »
Assuming we decide to move on from Vick, and don't decide to fire the entire coaching staff

Which FA QB's could be a potential future fit here as a #2 capable of competing with Geno?

(assuming we're not in an ideal position  to draft a QB ie were a 7 to 9 win team)

I was just reading something that mentioned Hoyer as a possibility, and was wondering what other names we could look at?

Locker?

Any other major potential candidates?

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
Re: Potential FA QB's after this year?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 12:40:12 PM »
I'd be OK with either. Ideally we'd be in a position to draft a franchise type QB or Geno excels to the point that he's the no-doubt #1 guy.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 12:41:43 PM »
Assuming we decide to move on from Vick, and don't decide to fire the entire coaching staff

Which FA QB's could be a potential future fit here as a #2 capable of competing with Geno?

(assuming we're not in an ideal position  to draft a QB ie were a 7 to 9 win team)

I was just reading something that mentioned Hoyer as a possibility, and was wondering what other names we could look at?

Locker?

Any other major potential candidates?

If we're looking at QBs again next offseason, that player most likely won't be competing with Geno Smith.  He'll be the new starter.  This is a big year for Smith.  He has to improve or he's probably out.

Besides Brian Hoyer and Jake Locker, there's Ryan Mallett, Tyrod Taylor, Matt Flynn, Jason Campbell, and Matt Moore.  Not many strong options. 

Say Smith and Vick both struggle.  We'll probably be picking high enough to draft a QB.  If the top underclassmen enter, we'll have a shot at quality player. 

« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 12:43:23 PM by Heismanberg »
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 02:29:16 PM »
If we're looking at QBs again next offseason, that player most likely won't be competing with Geno Smith.  He'll be the new starter.  This is a big year for Smith.  He has to improve or he's probably out.

Besides Brian Hoyer and Jake Locker, there's Ryan Mallett, Tyrod Taylor, Matt Flynn, Jason Campbell, and Matt Moore.  Not many strong options. 

Say Smith and Vick both struggle.  We'll probably be picking high enough to draft a QB.  If the top underclassmen enter, we'll have a shot at quality player.
I guess that depends on the OL play too

I mean if the OL has an absolute excrement year and Geno is only  mediocre he might not get all the blame.

Address wr and OL early in the draft, then bring in a guy to compete with him

I imagine someone like henne could be out there too?

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 02:34:01 PM »
I guess that depends on the OL play too

I mean if the OL has an absolute excrement year and Geno is only  mediocre he might not get all the blame.

Address wr and OL early in the draft, then bring in a guy to compete with him

I imagine someone like henne could be out there too?

Why do you want this team to keep reloading the quarterback position with fringe players? 

If the OL falls apart, it's very likely that we'll be spending a high pick on a tackle.

Running back could be a pretty big need next offseason as well, but that isn't a high value position.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 02:44:41 PM »
Why do you want this team to keep reloading the quarterback position with fringe players? 

If the OL falls apart, it's very likely that we'll be spending a high pick on a tackle.

Running back could be a pretty big need next offseason as well, but that isn't a high value position.
Well if we're drafting OL and wr early, it's not like we're gonna get a starting QB in the 3rd

So we address tackle and guard and wr  plus add to the defense in the. Draft

Which means we need a Stop gap QB to compete with Geno

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 02:52:44 PM »
Which means we need a Stop gap QB to compete with Geno

or we could a legitimate franchise prospect at QB in the first round and draft a tackle in the second? 

This team will have so much money in 2015, that Idzik should be able to fill key needs with good free agents. 

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 02:55:35 PM »
hopefully Dozier and Winters work out 

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 03:03:09 PM »
or we could a legitimate franchise prospect at QB in the first round and draft a tackle in the second? 

This team will have so much money in 2015, that Idzik should be able to fill key needs with good free agents.
Is next year supposed to be particularly deep at QB?

Because I see the Jets drafting I'm the late teens, early 20s

Which isn't prime territory for nabbing a franchise QB

These are the QB's drafted in the second half of the first in the last ten years

Weeden
Tebow
Quinn
Flacco
Campbell
Rodgers 
Losman

Obviously Rodgers was a grand slam, but he was also drafted almost ten years ago

And the emphasis on QB's is far greater now

Guys like Kaep and Wilson obviously show you can get good QB's after the first, but those picks are simply dumb luck. Because if anyone thought they could be legit franchise QB's they never would last out of the first

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 03:09:08 PM »
Guys like Kaep and Wilson obviously show you can get good QB's after the first, but those picks are simply dumb luck. Because if anyone thought they could be legit franchise QB's they never would last out of the first

No, they weren't.  Those picks weren't lucky. 

Wilson fell because of his size and Kaepernick was picked at the beginning of the second round after coming out of a funky offense in a mid-major conference.

Drew Brees was also drafted in the second round because of height concerns. 

In case you forgot, teams can trade up in the draft.  We'd have to think about doing that if we're picking in the teens. 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 03:12:36 PM by Heismanberg »

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 03:12:26 PM »
No, they're not. 

Wilson fell because of his size and Kaepernick was picked at the beginning of the second round after coming out of a funky offense in a mid-major conference.

Drew Brees was also drafted in the second round because of height concerns.
what percent of QB's drafted in the second round become quality starters?

Over under 25%?

I just don't think we're going to be in an ideal position to draft a QB

And I think Geno will improve enough to make us not consider drafting QB in the first, but bad enough to make us get one if the better number 2s capable of starting

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 03:18:47 PM »
what percent of QB's drafted in the second round become quality starters?

Over under 25%?

You realize that Geno Smith is a second round pick, right?  "Don't replace him, I know who he is because Jets" 

Also, Chad Henne was a second round pick.  It's OK for you to hop off of his dick now.

And I think Geno will improve enough to make us not consider drafting QB in the first, but bad enough to make us get one if the better number 2s capable of starting

If our QB play isn't average in 2014, we will be picking in the top ten.  Maybe top 12. 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 03:22:08 PM by Heismanberg »

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 03:45:03 PM »
Ugh.  I don't want to think about starting over at qb again.  Probably will sooner than later though.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 03:54:00 PM »
Probably will sooner than later though.

Smith really doesn't have excuses anymore.

Yeah, we don't have a superstar #1 receiver on the roster.  But with Decker and Amaro added to the roster, the quarterback play should improve...especially in the redzone. 

I don't expect him to take a major leap.  That's not realistic.  I expect him to not be a dumbass out there. 

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 03:56:26 PM »

You realize that Geno Smith is a second round pick, right?  "Don't replace him, I know who he is because Jets" 

Also, Chad Henne was a second round pick.  It's OK for you to hop off of his dick now.

If our QB play isn't average in 2014, we will be picking in the top ten.  Maybe top 12. 

While I'd like to agree with you, our QB play was so horrible that it barely qualifies as top 32. Yet we still managed to go 8-8. In fact we have had horrendous QB play for years and have been under .500 only once. I could easily see us picking in that 15-20 range if Geno is merely a top 25 QB. Then again I could also see us picking top 5 if Geno is the same guy he was in the middle of last year.

Need a new one for a new board...

Tags: